Brittle star mass spawningr

GaryL

Good or bad? Posted ImagePosted Image I didn't know I had so many... This happened an hour after a water change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think it had to do with a temp fluctuation from the water change and a little bit f a salinity change.... not sure the params but i hope it doesnt mean mass death.

Not that I know of. My mix water was a little warm and I added cold top off water... So who knows but it was kinda cool to watch

I maintain a tank that has thousands of those starfish and like you said, when you do a water change with colder water, it triggers them to spawn. They have made the water cloudy in a 55 from so much sperm/eggs.

Harmless.

You have a lot of those guys. How small are they? You never see the small ones in stores, but IPSF sells them for like $6 each.

They are about the size of a half dollar coin. J guess I'm doing something right lol

Should I put on some Barry White or Marvin Gaye? Although it looks like a story from Caligulas time

I wish. Most if the time you can only see the tips of their arms coming out if the live rock at feeding time

Went to a place called the Whale's tail on the southern Pacific coast of Costa Rica. At low tide you couldn't pick up a rock that didn't have a gazillion brittle stars under it. Couldn't believe there could be that many in one place.

google maps:  9.146672, -83.760996

I have thoes bristles everywhere too. Not sure if the ones in my cheato are the same or from the octopus starfish (I think that's what they were called). They might be upside down brittles, feeding off the top of the water surface? I dunno...

Posted Image

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Fwiw I don't use chemicals except maybe something to remove phosphate or kalk. But that's about it. Maybe a little vodka dosing when I remember to. I don't use ozone or uv yet. So maybe that helped expand the population through my many tank changes.

Do you guys with large population over feed ? I only occasionally see one when I flip rocks over

Yes I over feed.

Sent from my toaster using tapatalk2

Cool stuff I'm jealous, I have one brownish red brittle star that I never see, it was one of the 1st things I put in my tank and I usually see him once a month