Back in the hobby from a 10 year hiatus

New members to WAMAS.

My wife and I have been keeping aquatic life most of our lives. Salt water and fresh water along with garden and Koi ponds. If a fish can swim in it we built it. About 10 years ago we lost our 180 gal reef to a freak ice storm that left us without power for 6 days and no backup generator. The tank crashed hard, and with broken hearts we sold the tank and took a break from the hobby. Missing it so much we have returned, only this time we have a backup generator to help save the day. A lot of things have changed it the past 10 years and we are more excited then ever to learn all the tricks that has evolved.

To get our feet wet again we set up a 20 gal reef back in December of 2013 and it has been doing great. We also purchased a used 155 gal bow front and are in the process of getting it ready. We are still learning about all the new techniques/equipment and would be grateful for any help and advice down the road.

Charles & Pam

Welcome back and to the club guys!!!!

I am sure a lot has changed so don't hesitate to ask any and all questions or shout out for some help!! But you are luckier than the rest of us as you are near Surf & Turf...his tank is to drool over......and he is THE aquascaping guru....lucky lucky you....

New members to WAMAS.

My wife and I have been keeping aquatic life most of our lives. Salt water and fresh water along with garden and Koi ponds. If a fish can swim in it we built it. About 10 years ago we lost our 180 gal reef to a freak ice storm that left us without power for 6 days and no backup generator. The tank crashed hard, and with broken hearts we sold the tank and took a break from the hobby. Missing it so much we have returned, only this time we have a backup generator to help save the day. A lot of things have changed it the past 10 years and we are more excited then ever to learn all the tricks that has evolved.

To get our feet wet again we set up a 20 gal reef back in December of 2013 and it has been doing great. We also purchased a used 155 gal bow front and are in the process of getting it ready. We are still learning about all the new techniques/equipment and would be grateful for any help and advice down the road.

Charles & Pam

OMG Frank how excited are you to have someone "out there" with you??!!  ha ha ha ha....you both even have koi ponds....I see a fast friendship on the horizon :)

Welcome neighbor!

Welcome!

I am sure a lot has changed so don't hesitate to ask any and all questions or shout out for some help!! But you are luckier than the rest of us as you are near Surf & Turf...his tank is to drool over......and he is THE aquascaping guru....lucky

+1

I am sure a lot has changed so don't hesitate to ask any and all questions or shout out for some help!! But you are luckier than the rest of us as you are near Surf & Turf...his tank is to drool over......and he is THE aquascaping guru....lucky lucky you....

OMG Frank how excited are you to have someone "out there" with you??!!  ha ha ha ha....you both even have koi ponds....I see a fast friendship on the horizon :)

Thanks Jenn, it is nice to have someone else up this way.

In the past 30 years I've taken several long breaks after tank meltdowns.  But after recovering my courage each time I resolved to learn more and come back with a better system.  Good luck to you, the hobby has evolved quite a bit in the time you've been gone. 

Thank you for all the warm welcomes. It feels great to belong to a local reef club who will give support and encouragement.  We will be posting tank pictures and info on the Dedicated Tank build page as I move along.