adding 2+ clownfish in a 150

YHSublime

So I have a pair of ORA percs, but was wondering about adding additional clowns. My current clown resident are about 2" in size, and my fiance loves the black and white clowns. If I were to add 2, smaller ocellaris clownfish, that were significantly smaller in size, would they presumably stay male, and the dominant female of my current pair would lead the pack? Or is it an incredibly risky situation and I should stop thinking about it?

from what I have heard you should stop thinking about it.  But if you look at Fazio's tank, he has like 20 clowns in it.  But those were all babies when he put them in from the same family. 

I tried it in the 270 with anemones on opposites ends of the tank.  The pair I added immediately ignored the bubbletip I had for them and tried to force themselves into the ritteri that was already occupied.  Had to resettle them.  I think if you pick clowns that have different natural host anemones and put them on opposite ends of a 6 ft tank with blocked sightline, you may have better success.  

I have 10 in my tank now and they all get along pretty well my large b&w is definitely king of the clowns but they all get along fairly well...I'm about to add 4 more. One thing I noticed I used to have a large b&w pair and I put two smaller ones in and they two larger ones took to them immediately...didn't let anything mess with them at all. I guess it's all luck of the draw but I haven't had a bad experience so far.

When I consolidated my 3 fish tanks into one new 156, I thought that since every one has a new much bigger home, they would get along. My Maroon clown disagreed. It was in a 50G and my black and white Ocellaris, of the similar size, was in a 40G.  The Maroon did not give the Ocellaris any chance from day one, The Ocellaris ended up hiding at the top corner of the tank.  The final straw was when the Ocellaris ended up in the overflow.  We had to put him in another that where he now lives with another b/w. They lay eggs at least once a month but the babies never make it even though those 2 clowns are the only fishes in the tank.

Oh, that consolidation idea..  I now have 4 tanks and am thinking of adding a frag tank.    So if you are looking for an excuse to possible start another tank and your finance is not too keen on another tank  ....... :clap:

I had a small ocellaris for a while and when I introduce the bigger ocellaris in they were getting along well for almost a year now they are separated and the female one keep harass the smaller one for the several months now. I guess they are two female then. I did recently add a much smaller one with the hope to get a pair out of them.  However, the small one are now hiding in the rock. just out at the feeding time but now too far from its hiding place.

I'm going to say Nay. My first thought was Fazio as well, however, I think he's got an 8' tank, and breeds (bred.) I think that usually if the outcome is questionable, the answer is "no." Also based on the hit or miss experiences from other members, I have my answer. Thanks WAMAS.

I had 13 How many fish do you have in that tank, Jan, I mean Isaac?[/quote

7 in a 150, but I don't get your "joke."

If you can add them as small males, you shouldn't have a problem, when you try to add pairs, is when the fighting starts.

All clowns are born male.  When they pair up, one of them changes sex and become a female.

I had one and then added a smaller one, they paired up nicely, I believe the bigger one is the female. It has been about 5 years and the male has stayed almost the same size, about half that of the female.  Both are black Ocellaris.

I've seen them leap out of the tank due to harassment, even when small.  If you get lucky enough to get them small enough (say from a breeder) so that they haven't differentiated at all (juvenile, not male) you might have more luck, but it is still risky.  Some will just decline and die due to the constant harassment.

Mixing totally different species of clowns does seem to work ime.  Especially if the first in the tank are not the most aggressive.

Actually, clowns are born as males and as they mature, the dominant clown changes to female and the next dominant becomes an adult male and then the rest remain adolescent males. When you see successful multiple clown tanks, this is usually because all but two are adolescents.

Mixing clown species is also a crap shoot. If you add an aggressive species of clown that is very territorial (translated as pretty much all clowns) then you'll have turf wars. Case in point, I have a 7' 300 gallon tank and at one point had a pair of black and white ocellaris clowns (breeding pair). I then added two percula clowns that. I felt were juveniles but they were not accepted by the ocellaris pair. They eventually settled on the other side of the tank but this lead to the ocellaris female roaming further and taking the anemone away. They played keep away somewhat peacefully until I added a pair of pink skunk clowns. These ere not welcome additions and were driven to corner of the tank until they drove the perculas out of their home. When my female ocellaris died everything went crazy and the skunks took control of the entire tank.