Flood in the house, now need to move the tank.

MBVette

So most of you know my luck and it just always gets better for me.  While at work today we had a sprinkler head pop in the foyer (a kid hit the sprinkler head and broke it) but that wasn't to bad and we got it under control pretty quick with no real damage.

Then about 2 hours later I get a call saying the fire department is at my house and water is pouring out the front door.  Seems a pipe burst in the ceiling and flooded the first floor.  The only good thing about it is that the whole thing will be covered by the HOA's insurance and I don't have to do anything.

But they are going to have to replace all the flooring on the first floor and that is where my 93g tank is.  Im not sure what the best solution is for moving the tank.  Since the whole first floor is going to be replaced I can't really just move it around the first floor.  So I probably need to break the tank down for at least a week or two.  What are my options?  Its a FOWLR with just a pair of blood orange clowns, goby, yellow tang, and baby annularis angel.

So what do you think?

Oh man, that sucks. 

Break down the tank and put the fish in a plastic tun upstairs for a few days /weeks? 

That could work.  How big of a tub should I get and what type of flow do I need?  I don't have a lot of space to set something up upstairs.

Guess you could try to look at it in a positive light and get some good cleaning going on with your tank, make it brand new again when your ready to set it up! If you need any help moving it let me know. I had my first floor flood and had to move my 75g out into another house because of it, not fun but it helps when you have someone to help you.

Your fish load is really light… how big are the goby and the tang….. 

I mean you could even set up a small tank, like maybe a 40g, with a small filter… Then throw the rock in a brute trash can with some circulation and a heater.

Everything is small. Tang is maybe 2.5". Angel is about 1/2-3/4" goby 1.5" and clowns are still juvi. So I guess I'll hit HD tomorrow and find a rubber made tub to use. And then find a hob filter and use kne kf the small power heads from the tank.

Jeez... Yeah a 40g+ container should work. Put a few rocks or sand in to help with bio load but also keep an eye on ammonia levels. You may need to do a water change or two but things should be fine for the week or so the floors are being done.

Sorry to hear! But it sounds like it could have been a lot worse...

Sorry to hear. I hope nothing was damaged besides walls and floors. We had a three floor flood right before Christmas and I was very thankful that it was just a few nanos to move for repairs. It's amazing what they tear out to ensure everything dries.

Sorry to hear. I hope nothing was damaged besides walls and floors. We had a three floor flood right before Christmas and I was very thankful that it was just a few nanos to move for repairs. It's amazing what they tear out to ensure everything dries.

I didnt try the TV which was right next to where the pipe burst so its possible that the tv is dead also.  But yeah nothing major just a big hastle, and another notch onto my unlucky belt. 

How old is the sand bed? If the tank has been up longer than a year I would be careful that the sand hasn't trapped a bunch of nutrients. After you remove the rocks and fish I would rinse the sand well before putting it into a temporary container. Maybe Incredible Corals can hold the fish for you if just a few weeks.

Tank has been up about 7-8 months I think, But the tank is a mess (nitrates, phosphates, cyano...)and Im thinking about putting a new sandbed in there when I set the tank back up.

Ok so setting up a temp tank now. Going to use a hob, power head and heater. Should I run the filters that come with the hob or just use it for water movement?

Ok so setting up a temp tank now. Going to use a hob, power head and heater. Should I run the filters that come with the hob or just use it for water movement?

Filters are fine to start with. I typically use filter floss alone in the hob and toss it once or twice a week. Sometimes chemipure or charcoal is good. As long as you keep up with water changes you should be fine. I agree with putting live rock in there. The more the better in my opinion.

For the fish, they would be fine in a tub with aeration - plus some rock.  Just do water changes since the volume is small and don't worry about filtration.  Keep oxygen up and feed them enough, but not too much and it should last a few weeks no problem.  Just be sure the container has a rim or top.

Here is the tank. I set it up with half water from the tank and half fresh water. About 3/4 of the rock from the tank are in there.

I think this bin is maxed out but it will make it the couple weeks I need it to.

Posted Image