Motti's 265 inwall Display + Fishroom build

motti

a8ddd6a72c2f8960d9a1878401abd591.jpg

Got those little guys from DaveS on Saturday morning. So far they are doing great eating reef chilly twice a day! They will stay in the qt tank until they reach an inch or so in length

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah great shot of the little guys! Glad to hear they are happy and healthy in your tank.

So far so good, they seem to go crazy over the reef chillies, do you think I should also give them flakes just to be safe?

Couldn't hurt. Just keep an eye on the ammonia level.

Absolutely, using that ammonia monitor thingy, going to do 30% wc in couple of days too

• 4 weeks later...

Finally transitioned the yellow lemon chromis over to the display tank. They are about an inch long now

d6340ae16ed54f353d8812b12e7a1440.jpg

DaveS's little babies! :clap:

Thanks. I really like those small guys.

IMO I think that smaller to med sized fish 1"-6" look better in a large tank then the 6" plus guys. It is all about scale.

IMO I think that smaller to med sized fish 1"-6" look better in a large tank then the 6" plus guys. It is all about scale.

Yep. Even the anthias which are probably around 3" look a little big. It would have been nice to have all tiny fish. They school together and everything, maybe it might achieve the look in real reef where you have all those small (~5") fish swarming coral heads

Yep. Even the anthias which are probably around 3" look a little big. It would have been nice to have all tiny fish. They school together and everything, maybe it might achieve the look in real reef where you have all those small (~5") fish swarming coral heads

I cut all the fish that will mature to more then 6"+/- out of my fish list, I might have one or two, but that would be it.

I cut all the fish that will mature to more then 6"+/- out of my fish list, I might have one or two, but that would be it.

No tangs then?

Ohhh. I kind of like that idea.

No tangs then?

Out of the 57 fish on my list,these are the only ones taht are SUPPOSE to get above 6"

1-Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus) PEACE, WC, 8"

2-Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus) PEACE, WC, 7"

2-Regal Angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus) SA, WC, 10"

1-Yellow Tang - Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens) SA, YES, 8"

1-Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) SA, YES, 12"

1-Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles) SA, YES, 8"

I have never seen a Copperbanded that large (I will ask Paul B how large his is).  2 Moorish Idols would look cool and not as long and bulky, A pair of Regals would be cool and not sure I have ever seen any 10". I love the Blue hippo tangs, but he may not make the list since I know he can get that big. I might live with one Yellow tang and one Achilles.

Out of the 57 fish on my list,these are the only ones taht are SUPPOSE to get above 6"

1-Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus) PEACE, WC, 8"

2-Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus) PEACE, WC, 7"

2-Regal Angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus) SA, WC, 10"

1-Yellow Tang - Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens) SA, YES, 8"

1-Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) SA, YES, 12"

1-Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles) SA, YES, 8"

I have never seen a Copperbanded that large (I will ask Paul B how large his is).  2 Moorish Idols would look cool and not as long and bulky, A pair of Regals would be cool and not sure I have ever seen any 10". I love the Blue hippo tangs, but he may not make the list since I know he can get that big. I might live with one Yellow tang and one Achilles.

I went to the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium while I was back home for the Holidays. Their enormous system had a multitude of tangs in it. I don't think I ever appreciated how big some of those guys can get when you see them in hobbyist systems compared to a gigantic tank. In all honesty, after viewing so many tangs together, one of my favorites was the powder blue tang and the powder brown tang. These guys were so beautiful in person. Of course, half the hippos looked like they had major HLLE scarring, so that might have helped. I liked these guys over the Achilles even.

I went to the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium while I was back home for the Holidays. Their enormous system had a multitude of tangs in it. I don't think I ever appreciated how big some of those guys can get when you see them in hobbyist systems compared to a gigantic tank. In all honesty, after viewing so many tangs together, one of my favorites was the powder blue tang and the powder brown tang. These guys were so beautiful in person. Of course, half the hippos looked like they had major HLLE scarring, so that might have helped. I liked these guys over the Achilles even.

I WAS AT THE COLUMBUS ZOO OVER CHRISTMAS ON FRI THE 26TH FOR WILD LIGHTS!!!!! and I had to see the reef tank! The first thing I thought was how sick those blue tangs looked! I almost posted my comments about scale in reference to the 50' plus long tank wall and how the tangs all looked small! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I WAS AT THE COLUMBUS ZOO OVER CHRISTMAS ON FRI THE 26TH FOR WILD LIGHTS!!!!! and I had to see the reef tank! The first thing I thought was how sick those blue tangs looked! I almost posted my comments about scale in reference to the 50' plus long tank wall and how the tangs all looked small! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL. I was there the same night! I didn't realize you were even in Ohio for the Holidays. How funny. Totally should have met up.

But how cool was that humphead wrasse?! I love his coloration. And did you see the tiny little bangaii cardinals hiding out in the spiny urchins in the smaller reef tanks?

LOL. I was there the same night! I didn't realize you were even in Ohio for the Holidays. How funny. Totally should have met up.

But how cool was that humphead wrasse?! I love his coloration. And did you see the tiny little bangaii cardinals hiding out in the spiny urchins in the smaller reef tanks?

Saw both! the humphead was cool and saw the baby bangaiis in the reef tanks on the right! one on the urchin on the right side of the left piece of glass, and one in the top right next to the wall where the surge tank discharged! Too funny!

Motti, tank looks good, so do those lemon chromis. Tricia, Ken, please be mindful that this is a dedicated build thread for Mottis tank. Cheers.