I GIVE UP!!!

BowieReefer84

This is a rant and I was just kidding about giving up, but really getting frustrated for what levels to aim for.  Just got a frag directly from WWC thanks to a fellow member, and here is the results of a water test:

Salinity 35ppt (perfect)

Alk b/t 7.7-8.0 (sounds good to me)

nitrate 25!!!! (WOW)

11360845273_af07a65655.jpg
nitrates wwc by mteske1, on Flickr

phoshpate 0.135!!!! (WOW)

How can the nutrient levels be so high, but such nice corals and full colonies from this place?

I got a superman monti, and it looks IDENTICAL in person to the link (my pic sucks):

http://www.worldwidecorals.com/product_p/d04.htm

11360700785_a59c74f389.jpg
superman by mteske1, on Flickr

thanks

U sure u did the test correctly

1ml water 4 drops 1 level scoop and wait 3 minutes for salifert nitrate.

hanna ulr for phoshpate.  44ppb = 0.135

POSITIVE I did them correctly.

Your testing the water it came in?

That is correct.  Always do just to see levels from tank frags come from.

I wonder if the stress of being moved causes a coral to release slime or waste that makes the test results high??  I sometimes do the same and have always had high phos and nitrate readings in the bag water.

I have seen amazing tanks on RC that nitrates range from 5-25 so its no suprise for nitrates to be at this level.. Now on phosphates thats a different story, maybe we are paying too much attention to lowering it where we dont need it. I recently stopped using gfo and 2 months later along with dosing some amino acids and i even added two more fish, my tank looks the best it has ever been! I believe that a very mature tank with a lots of fish is the right environment for healthy corals. Lots of inport and export of nutrients..

Bowie... There is a thread going on reef2reef with people talking about the shipment water from WWC was crazy in all levels. I recently got a shipment from them and 5 out of 7 corals were goners.

WWC said that their chalices like dirtier water with around 20ppm nitrates

Edited by Mattiejay6

Nitrate 25!!! Wow

My nitrates are usually near 40 and my SPS are growing up the walls, not for a couple of weeks but for decades.  That is one reason I don't test for anything.  I go by the health of the animals to determine if all is well

Edited by paul b

I would not concern yourself with issues you can not control.  Testing frag water may not accurately represent the vendors system.  Most corals are resilient and will recover from the stress of traveling.  Looking for an eye opening experience, sample your LFS water parameters, I would be surprised if the salinity was correct.

I wonder if the stress of being moved causes a coral to release slime or waste that makes the test results high??  I sometimes do the same and have always had high phos and nitrate readings in the bag water.

That could be a very valid point.

It's amazing how corals can tolerate high nitrates. But they absolutely cannot tolerate high phosphates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I would expect this piece to be brown.  However, it is the most colorful superman monti I have ever seen.

I have seen amazing tanks on RC that nitrates range from 5-25 so its no suprise for nitrates to be at this level.. Now on phosphates thats a different story, maybe we are paying too much attention to lowering it where we dont need it. I recently stopped using gfo and 2 months later along with dosing some amino acids and i even added two more fish, my tank looks the best it has ever been! I believe that a very mature tank with a lots of fish is the right environment for healthy corals. Lots of inport and export of nutrients..

Yea, I took GFO offline and just dosing vinegar and amino acids now as well actually.  I need to add more fish.  Right now I only have two.

Gotta imagine there is some die off of something inside the bag during transit...even if its microorganisms

Bowie... There is a thread going on reef2reef with people talking about the shipment water from WWC was crazy in all levels. I recently got a shipment from them and 5 out of 7 corals were goners.

WWC said that their chalices like dirtier water with around 20ppm nitrates

Sorry for your loss.  Were they doa?  Did you test the water by chance?  This piece was cherry picked in person, healed over, and insane colors.  It flew in the cockpit of the plane!  I'm still smiling about that haha.  I've always heard 100% positive reviews on WWC.

My nitrates are usually near 40 and my SPS are growing up the walls, not for a couple of weeks but for decades.  That is one reason I don't test for anything.  I go by the health of the animals to determine if all is well

Yea, but are they shades of brown/tan or are they purple/blue/neon...?  I know they will grow, but I want the best colors I can get.  I think not testing for anything works for some, but I enjoy striving for perfect levels via testing.  It keeps me interested in the tank.

I would not concern yourself with issues you can not control.  Testing frag water may not accurately represent the vendors system.  Most corals are resilient and will recover from the stress of traveling.  Looking for an eye opening experience, sample your LFS water parameters, I would be surprised if the salinity was correct.

Great point, and yes I rarely find correct salinity on LFS as well.  I recently picked up some snails and the water was 1.031! haha  They are kicking for now, but prob won't last long term.

Thanks everyone.  

I did not test the water.. They weren't DOA but halfway or more to that point.. WWC is honoring their garuntee and hooking me up with a credit..man that's pretty cool you got a cherry!

Mike, I wouldn't rely on testing the bagged water for much more than salinity. If really curious, ask WWC to run a test on their water.

Mike, I wouldn't rely on testing the bagged water for much more than salinity. If really curious, ask WWC to run a test on their water.

Yea, I would have to agree.  I'm not curious enough to call, and the coral itself is insanely nice.  I'll just not concern myself as much with keeping nitrates at zero.

Someone who will remain nameless, did a sample test of a LFS, who also will remain nameless, and found the following:

Different types of corals are maintained in this system.

Salinity 1.026 (refractometer)

pH: not tested.  He did not want to risk cross contamination with his pH probe.

Alk:  300+ ppm (Hanna).

Ca:  550 ppm (Salifert)

Mg:  not tested

NO3: 100 ppm (Salifert)

PO4: 2.5 ppm (Hanna)

He also said he would tactfully inform the store owner.

I further explained to him that LFS may find it difficult trying to keep water parameters at the levels of enthusiasts like us.  Corals and fish are not meant to be at the LFS for a long duration, inventory should be turning over.

^^ That alk level is wickedly high. 300 ppm = 6 meq/l = 16.8 dkH. The calcium level is crazy high, too.

Yea, that's nuts.  Surprising that salinity was proper with Alk at that level.  The things people do...