How would you Light a PicoAquarium 15x15x8"

BrendanG

How would you light a PicoAquarium 15x15x8

Looking to Keep Ricordea, Zoanthids, Blasto's, Acans, and Rock Flower Anemones.

What fixture would YOU, put over such a tank?

Brendan,

If I were you I would go to a LFS and check them all out in person. Quantum Reefs has AI's, Maxspect, Radions, Kessils, and more on display.

What light looks good to me may not necessarily look good to you.

Keep in mind all of the brands mentioned above will grow corals - All of them.

Lol. Here we go again. What car is better? Mercedes or BMW? Ryan is totally right. Go look at a few and just as importantly, consider your budget. The nanobox is nice, though. Perhaps that is the Ferrari.

IMO & IME ecoxotic is junk.. Maybe there new products are better, but the older ones were crap. Had them for a while and they didn't last. 

I'll defer to an actual user. I'm just wondering if the OP really needs to go full bore given his livestock plans

I was getting ready to light an 8x8x8, and it was recommended to me to try aqua style online. If you're in the market to try DIY, their customer service was pretty spectacular. I never ended up getting what I wanted, as my other half didn't like it taking up half of our living room table. I know a couple of our members who have ordered from them, and have had great results for great prices, plus you get to learn a little something if you go the DIY route.

Whatever route you go, let us know what you end up getting, lots of different advice.

8" deep tank and NO sps... Most of the above lights mentioned will melt everything.  

Thank you! There is always a tendency to make suggestions based on sps, when in fact the corals mentioned prefer lower light. A PAR 30 may even be fine.

For a frag tank of similar dimension I am planning on using a PAR38 bulb.  However if I was putting together a display tank that size I would probably go with DIY LEDs and one of these:

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/dim4-4-port-led-sunrise-sunset-controller-v1-0/

I love that it's a controller that doesn't need separate drivers for up to 12 LEDs.

I currently have (2) 6w stunner strips with reflectors (16) 445nm Blue and (8) Magenta per strip lying around.

I've been contemplating purchasing possibly 1 or 2 additional stunner strips to supplement White Light 

Perhaps a (18) 8,000k White and (6) 453nm Blue

how important is providing UV spectrum for corals?

Would It be Wise to purchase a 403nm UV Stunner Strip?

My other options would most likely be a Dimmable PAR38 or PAR30...12"+ Hanging Height...

Thoughts?

That Maxspect Razor, does look really clean over most nano's....(is it dimmable? will I risk bleaching corals with it)

The Par 38/Par 30 are great options as well...( I've seen some units are dimmable)

I'll prob ditch the ecoexotic stunners...They just sit atop the tank, and take away from the display.