My 215 Oceanic

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - it really has been that long since I added a photo or posted anything in this thread.  Here is a video link to video taken yesterday.

In the late spring / summer 2012 I had a partial crash and lost 75% of fish and corals in tank - including all my angels and some of the tangs - the black tang and big Caribbean blue tang.  :(   Between busy work & travel schedule and having the skimmer dump waste water down utility sink drain and auto top-off, I didn't check salinity during this period and by time I caught things, salinity dropped down to 1.016.  After stabilizing things and getting numbers back in line, I let the tank run a 6+ weeks before I began the restocking efforts. 

The large red tabling acro survived the problems - I bought the frag as an ORA red planet.  The brown fire coral in the lower center survived as well - that coral grew out of the rock in 2001 after the tank was running and has grown and been there on that rock.  The rest of the coral was started as frags or a couple small colonies last fall. 

I have had the 2 large yellow tangs since Jan 2001; blue regal since Dec. 2004. 

Had the juv. Queen since last October - she came out of quarantine tank early February. Juv. Emperor, regal & blue face added last fall. The idol was added on 1/15/13; purple tang dates back to 2005.  The red velvet fairy was a survivor as well.

I still have my addiction to lots of fish in the reef tank ... so let the flaming begin. 

Dang that's a lot of fish for a 215g... :laugh:   Looks freaking awesome though. I love heavy fish-load tanks.

Reminds of Saxby's tank a little bit! Go to 1:20 in this video. Saxby's tank has always been a tank favorite of mine for all of the fish:

• 1 month later...

Wow, great pics and a gorgeous tank.

What is this one? Really nice looking

Looks like millepora or prostrate to me.  The ends get the blue/purple when the halides are new.  The white bumps just new growth.

I have a few frags growing on frag plugs.

Care of Idol -

This is the 2nd one I have attempted.  First one held well for 2-3 years.  This one I have had since January I believe.  It eats nori, frozen, flake, pellet / anything added.  Doesn't nip at anything more than the flame angels do.  Purple tang nips it's streamer ever few weeks.

• 4 months later...

Wow . Incredible selection of fish and awesome tank.

Love all the pics.

Is that a blue caribbean tang?(i didnt read the whole tread, just looked at the pics)

• 10 months later...

Craig- any new pics to offer? coming up on 1 year for an update and 9 mo. since TOTM.

last pics we saw were beautiful!