My 215 Oceanic

Guest Bemmer

Craig,

Your tank has really matured since the earlier photos. Glad to see you still have the Moorish Idol. I know they don't have the best mortality rate but yours looks real good.

What lights do you have over your tank?

No issues with that many fish? Any fights between the tangs? How is the Emperor doing with the corals?

Great looking tank.

Rebecca

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good job Craig

when is the open house... we have been waiting long enough now....

P.S.

or you can call me and I come over quietly to stare at your tank for minutes ends

I promise I won't tell anyone... :wink:

I just switched on Jan 25, 2007 to 14 K 400w Ushio's. Bulbs been running almost 100 hours over 14 day period.

On 400w Blueline ballast using Apogee Quantum Meter model QMSS; bulbs 8 inches off water; * with 2 x 110w VHO running on Ice cap ballast [i know should of turned off VHO's - but ballasts just turned off for day]; MH & VHO bul;bs housed inside cool touch lighting 72" hood.

*1005 -Surface with white sensor just out of water

* 803 - sensor just under water

* 701 - 1 inch under water

* 410 - 6 inches under water

* 325 - 12 inches under water surface

* 200 - 24 inches under water [also the oceanic center brace b/w bulb & sensor for this reading - only spot on tank I could get clear reading at bottom]

It will be interesting to see what these bulbs test out on Sanjay's big test grid.

Here is what I got with old XM's that I charted before switch (again with VHO's on). Over 100 par better at each test spot. WOW.

* 580 - just below water

* 285 - 6 inches under water

* 170 - 12 inches

* 126 - 24 inches below [also the oceanic center brace b/w bulb & sensor for this reading - only spot on tank I could get clear reading at bottom]

In just 14 days most of my corals are starting to show a lot more blue and / or purple tips and pink birds nest is getting a better pink color. Red mili looks better as well to me. So far I'm loving the bulbs.

Craig,

Your tank has really matured since the earlier photos. Glad to see you still have the Moorish Idol. I know they don't have the best mortality rate but yours looks real good.

What lights do you have over your tank?

No issues with that many fish? Any fights between the tangs? How is the Emperor doing with the corals?

Great looking tank.

Rebecca

I think on prior page I answered about emperor - doesn't touch SPS. Only went after open brain.

Idol- so far so good. I got it on around Jan 21-23, 2006 from liveaquaria. Purple tang or one of the tangs cuts Idols hair (streamer) ever week or 2.

- issues with that many fish

- water quality NO problem so far since I rune a Deltec 702 and try to do weekly to by-weekly 35g changes. I also try to run carbon and use a 40w UV light system.

- Other downside with that many fish is most clams I try don't do well cause of all the fish activity - fish swims over clam and it retracts from shadow. So far I have had a squamosa in there for over 6 months and the spot it's at seems to be fine. Just added Gigas I got at scales and it's ok so far, flame & potters have picked on it few times when I was watching tank last night. Got fingers crossed they will leave it alone.

- thinking I may want to try to catch a yellow or two in near future.

• 4 weeks later...

Few updates (some in autofocus and some in manual with white balance - WHERE is 143gadgets when I need him :wink:

DSCN3757.JPG

DSCN3756.JPG

Left

DSCN3815.JPG

DSCN3816.JPG

Right Center

DSCN3783.JPG

Right

DSCN3780.JPG

DSCN3782.JPG

Clowns

DSCN3796.JPG

DSCN3797.JPG

DSCN3763.JPG

DSCN3774.JPG

DSCN3775.JPG

Rhomboid Golden Fairy Wrasse

DSCN3801.JPG

DSCN3771.JPG

DSCN3779.JPG

DSCN3824.JPG

Guest Dr.FuManchu

Amazing tank! You have done a fantastic job with your setup. I am following along and will use your tank a model for when I set up my large tank. Definitely an inspiration to all. Keep posting updates.

• 5 weeks later...

Amazing tank Craig. That Idol seems to be doing really well. Congrats on that. What's your secret?

Thanks Sugar, JMS & others.

It's hard for me to say what I think is the "key" to success. What I have learned in this hobby since I started in Sept. 2000 is that you need to keep paramaters as constant as possible and try to keep water as clean as possible. But when it comes to testing, I don't do it that often & when I do, I only test alk & calcium weekly, but I do check PH several times a day with monitor. I also look over the tank and corals daily to see how the look.

Off top of my head, I will say that these are some of the "keys" for my success:

- I try to do a 32g water change every 7-10 days

- I use spectrapure basic mechanical float to keep salinity constant (in sump) [used over 5 years on 1st tank with 0 failure]

- I got a big skimmer that is easy to clean and care for :D I clean collection cup ever 2-3 days and empty 5+ cups of waste every time.

- I run a 40w current USA UV light 24/7.

- I use kalk stirrer and feed it with dosing pump so I can control amount of kalk added rather than connect to top-off. I have read too many posts about people having top-off dosed 5+ gallons of kalk and nuke their tank.

- I run a calcium reactor

- feed daily - usually 2-3 times a day + add nori sheets [one feeding of pellets and one of frozen brine & mysis; some days flake as well]

- I use carbon and change every 3-4 weeks.

- run about 3/4 cup rowa phos ban media and change every 4-6 weeks.

Idol success - Not sure other than I try to feed a lot and keep water quality as best I can. With the help of dbartco, I tried to create lots of caves and hiding space in rocks and b/w rocks and back of tank. At night, the tangs and angels each have their home spot to go when tank is dark - same goes for all other smaller fish.

• 3 weeks later...

looks like someone is making a push for Tank of the Month. Very nice. I'm amazed everytime I see pics. Pretty cool that you've had success with the angels as well. Simply amazing. If I had that tank in my house I'd never get any studying done. :biggrin:

Incredible that you can keep your water quality so good with all those fish. Well done.

Just trying to learn how to use my new Nikon D70s. So far only have this lense: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor - which I got off ebay from camera shop in Baltimore for $99. Was new lense. Had decent review here

It's a newer version of the previous 18-55mm AFS lens, which has been a favorite recommendation of mine for its low price and great performance.

Water quality - Running a 40w UV 24/7/365 and big skimmer helps - IMO.

Guest Bemmer

Craig,

Your tank shots are amazing with your new camera. The color is very crisp. Lots of beautiful corals and fish.

Edited by Bemmer

Craig,

Your tank shots are amazing with your new camera. The color is very crisp. Lots of beautiful corals and fish.

Thanks Rebecca - I have a long way to go before I can even stand in same room as C.T. but it's going to be fun learning.

Camera brand:

It's a Factory refurbished Nikon D70s. Was 400 less than new D80. Everything I read in past month said Lens is most important thing. You can always upgrade body down road. Thus, going to take any extra money and invest in a good lens. I think it will have plenty of settings for me to learn. Still has pin on lens mount so that it can drive some of the older style auto focus lenses. Thus main reason why I didn't get D40x.

Link here for where I got it. [Calfo also links to that shop on his Marine Depot forum] Camera page I started

Now I better start selling some superman frags to pay for camera ;)

• 1 month later...

beautiful tank