Skimmer question/survey for 350+ gallon tanks and systems

Swimboy123

Hello all;

I'm thinking about upgrading my skimmer in the near future and was wondering what everyone was running on their tanks and systems that are 350+ gallons.  If you are running multiple skimmers on a system, I would ask that you refrain from posting as I am only concerned with single skimmer setups. 

Specs that would helpful if included in post are:  1-Size of tank/system.  2- Bioload guesstimate.  3- Running ozone?  4- Type of skimmer and pump(s).  5- Internal or External skimmer.

Thanks in advance!  I'm looking forward to hearing about what everyone has!

Braden

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now my total system volume is 375+/- and I'm running an AquaEuro USA internal skimmer.  To actually fit in my sump, I can only run 2 out of 3 needlewheel pumps and I am injecting ozone (88-92mg).  My bioload is relatively small as my display is a 250DD and I only have about 20-24 inches of fish.  Basically three medium tangs and a spattering of anthias, peppermint shrimp, and a coral beauty.  Corals are placed wherever there is open space and there isn't much left.  Frag tank is currently empty with the exception of a few corals.

in one 410g or so system with 265 & 46 DTs and the rest of the gallonage made up in frag,macro, fuge, and propagation tanks i have a grey seas/avast marine "standard 12" retrofitted with two RO diablo dc5500 skimmer pumps. it is a submerged/internal skimmer. bioload is very low as my system is just getting up and running and only have seven fish (maybe 20" of fish to use your metric). i am not nor do i plan to use ozone. the skimmer is running very well but is like most skimmers for systems our size, very large. most notably in height at almost 44" with the swabbie which makes working it under the stand and in a sump not the easiest but with the swabbie and a skimmate locker there is rarely the need to do anything with the collection cup so it's worked well so far. i was told this skimmer would handle a 1000g heavy bio load adjusted appropriately and i intend to test that as my tank will be packed with fish and SPS one day.

very interested to hear feedback from others as well as i am always on the look out for ways to improve my system.

Edited by monkiboy

350 gallons in system (estimated); medium bioload; ozone yes; and modified recirculating GSA Standard 12 running two DC6000's (set up as internal).

@Tom and Monkiboy:  Thanks for answering.  I have a nagging feeling that I am underskimming.  Corals are growing like crazy but I'm getting a good bit of algae growth if I get lazy on water changes.  When I increase my bioload I think the problem will continue to compound itself if I don't do an upgrade to my equipment

sure thing. i dont know the dimensions or specs on the body and neck on that skimmer or of the needlewheels you're using to make that assessment but it sounds like a logical conclusion that if you're having nitrate and phosphate issues now (undesired algae growth) that adding bioload without changing your nutrient export management plan will result in further "issues". now even with an excellent skimmer you'll need to have some way of exporting nutrients so if you slack on water changes perhaps you'll experience the same with an appropriately sized skimmer but not to the same degree. are you entertaining any options at the moment, if so what are they? there's a pretty sweet bubble king 300 external on RC right now for a very good price ;)

Actually I've been looking at the ETSS 1000 and 1400.  They look realllly nice but also really pricey.  If I bought one I'm pretty sure the basement couch would be my new bedroom until my kids go to college in about 12 years or so.......  Then I could have their room!

I would look for a cheap beckett or similar skimmer that works well with ozone. If I knew you were thinking about upgrading I wouldn't have sold my 4' beckett for $100 bucks. I like reef octopus skimmers, not sure how well the run with ozone though they may have ones that will stand up to lots of ozone use. But it seems the big external older style skimmers are going for cheap now a days, that combined with an efficient pump that will last forever and not have to be maintained or break as much as needle wheels is a plus in my book. Although they do have some nice new needle wheel stuff out, *** for tat I guess.

What are your plus and minuses when looking at skimmers?

I have an estimated 550g volume with a 600g display and 150g sump. Heavy bio load and I feed a lot of food with large fish and rays. No ozone or UV in use and I run carbon a few days a month. I have an internal ASM-G6X skimmer which uses two Sedra 15000 pumps.

Mine:
400g system volume

HEAVY bioload (35 fish in the 240g display. 5 tangs, 6 angels, 8 anthias, 6 wrasses and they all eat a lot!)

Skimmer is an Octopus SRO XP2000, External with the Bubble Blaster pump. 

I do run ozone. ORP is steady 325-350mV. I do not inject the O3 into the skimmer.

I absolutely love the Octopus skimmers. Reliable, trouble free and the performance is excellent. If my system were any bigger I would consider stepping up to the  next size and use their DC pump. Their "diablo" line of skimmers has my mouth watering. 

Edited by Wrench

Yea I am with wrench, the sro5000 cone skimmer did great on my heavily stocked 210. The bubble blaster pump is one I liked and would use in turn for the beckett, but the beckett pulled more stuff from my water on my other system that I really didn't feed much, very impressive.

Mine:

400g system volume

HEAVY bioload (35 fish in the 240g display. 5 tangs, 6 angels, 8 anthias, 6 wrasses and they all eat a lot!)

Skimmer is an Octopus SRO XP2000, External with the Bubble Blaster pump. 

I do run ozone. ORP is steady 325-350mV. I do not inject the O3 into the skimmer.

I absolutely love the Octopus skimmers. Reliable, trouble free and the performance is excellent. If my system were any bigger I would consider stepping up to the  next size and use their DC pump.

No disrespect, but your skimmer is performing "excellent" because its undersized and trying to keep up.  I would expect the XP5000 on a 400g system.  What you have seems to fit your reef keeping methods.

My skimmer, Bubble Master 200 is designed for a 150g-200g, which I ran on my 180g, is currently pulling duty on my 290g volume system.  I can see the smoke billowing out the skimmer pump its working so hard to keep up.  Skimmate is dark,nasty and rancid.  One other indicator I know the skimmer is lagging is because I am accustomed to the water in the tank to be invisible.  When you look inside the tank you do not see water, just fish, corals, and rock.  That is one sure fire way of knowing whether the skimmer is properly sized.  My system has a light bio load, as I move into the moderate level, I plan to upgrade.  I prefer external skimmers placed inside a sump, better control.

I prefer external skimmers placed inside a sump, better control.

Does this mean that you buy an external skimmer and then run it internally?

No disrespect, but your skimmer is performing "excellent" because its undersized and trying to keep up.  I would expect the XP5000 on a 400g system.  What you have seems to fit your reef keeping methods.

We'll agree to disagree on skimmer sizing. The 2000 is rated for 200g heavy bioload and my display is 240g minus rock and sand. My sump and frag tank don't contribute to the bio load so IMO the skimmer is sized accordingly. Nutrients aren't an issue for me and the water is crystal clear, although I attribute some of that to the use of ozone. There's some voodoo and marketing involved with skimmer sizing. I get a fair amount of rancid skimmate from my cup every few days but not so much that indicates and undersized skimmer. 

Does this mean that you buy an external skimmer and then run it internally?

Correct, for two reasons.  1) Skimmer overflows are contained, and 2) I can change the feed pump flow to fit my needs, adjust performance.  

We'll agree to disagree on skimmer sizing. The 2000 is rated for 200g heavy bioload and my display is 240g minus rock and sand. My sump and frag tank don't contribute to the bio load so IMO the skimmer is sized accordingly. Nutrients aren't an issue for me and the water is crystal clear, although I attribute some of that to the use of ozone. There's some voodoo and marketing involved with skimmer sizing. I get a fair amount of rancid skimmate from my cup every few days but not so much that indicates and undersized skimmer. 

Earlier you said your system volume was 400g.  Regardless, as long as it works for you, that is the bottom line.

We'll agree to disagree on skimmer sizing. The 2000 is rated for 200g heavy bioload...

it's actually rated for 150g heavy bioload - http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-sro-xp-2000ext-super-reef-protein-skimmer

i agree though that marketing generally over compensate and one should look at the specs of the pump/air-draw and skimmer dimensions and try to buy at least double for high bioload systems like yours. glad it is working for you though. have you taken your ozone offline with your current stock list to see where ORP settles with your existing skimmer performance?

Ozone has been offline for about two weeks (thanks, Ozotech for a crummy pump) and the ORP is at 341 right now. 

post-1536-0-72204500-1386186861_thumb.png

Edited by Wrench

I ran an sro xp2000 on more than it was rated for quite a while with good results as well.  I recently upgraded to a ATB cone large I got from another WAMAS'er. 

Honestly the biggest difference I think can be attributed to adding a swabbie.  Seems to me having a skimmer performing consistently at it's full potential matters more than the size.

But for the price I was very satisfied with the SRO cone.

Edited by gws3

Skimmer size to me is really about how much volume and contact time you can manage through it. It is funny that ratings are somewhat subjective. Really, as long as you have good contact time and it turns over your tank multiple times per hour I think you are good. I run a standard 12 as well with ~600 gallons of water total.

Think of it like this, the gentler the flow, the more effective the contact time will be. The longer the contact time, the better it will skim. The more water you can effectively skim, the "cleaner" the water. You'll see lots of takes on this from cones to recircs to diffuser plates - it goes on and on.

Skimmer size to me is really about how much volume and contact time you can manage through it. It is funny that ratings are somewhat subjective. Really, as long as you have good contact time and it turns over your tank multiple times per hour I think you are good. I run a standard 12 as well with ~600 gallons of water total.

hi dave, what kind of bio load and what size is/are your display(s)? also what pumps are you using on your skimmers and do you have it configured for recirculating or not?

thanks!

I ran an sro xp2000 on more than it was rated for quite a while with good results as well.  I recently upgraded to a ATB cone large I got from another WAMAS'er. 

Honestly the biggest difference I think can be attributed to adding a swabbie.  Seems to me having a skimmer performing consistently at it's full potential matters more than the size.

But for the price I was very satisfied with the SRO cone.

An 8" body will handle 150-200g all day.  

Which ATB did you get?

Braden should be looking for a skimmer with at least a 10" body (considering normal stand height), 600GPH, and 1500 LPH.

I like skimmer threads because of all the variables and personal preferences.  As long as someone does not say a HOB skimmer is adequate for a 200g tank I am fine.  LOL.