Skimmer question/survey for 350+ gallon tanks and systems

Swimboy123

Great looking! I don't like the internal skimmers as much because only half the skimmer body is getting filled wih bubbles, other versions you get a little more area. The sro 5000 internal I liked a lot, had great area for contact time and the bubbles were extreemly uniform going up to the top, completely different than most pumps and skimmers I have used. Not sure how the cone and uniform bubbles would make a difference though.

Your talking about the space saver concept?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Becketts are good skimmers, but a real pain in the arse.  Every time you feed........bubbles go away.  Every time you clean the becketts.........bubbles go away.  Everytime you use any glue or epoxy.......bubbles go away.  If they came back in an hour that would be one thing, but my MRC would loose the foam had sometimes for over 24 hours.

The needlewheel skimmers now perform amazingly well and don't require near as much maintenance.  Get a nice recirculating external skimmer and put a swabbie and skimmate locker on it and you can skim forever without having to clean it..........well, close to forever.  Just my .02.

Edited by steveoutlaw

Becketts are good skimmers, but a real pain in the arse.  Every time you feed........bubbles go away.  Every time you clean the becketts.........bubbles go away.  Everytime you use any glue or epoxy.......bubbles go away.  If they came back in an hour that would be one thing, but my MRC would loose the foam had sometimes for over 24 hours.

The needlewheel skimmers now perform amazingly well and don't require near as much maintenance.  Get a nice recirculating external skimmer and put a swabbie and skimmate locker on it and you can skim forever without having to clean it..........well, close to forever.  Just my .02.

To balance out your comment, can you provide some disadvantages of needlewheel skimmers?

you and I have agreed to disagree on this....as you know I don't have that experience with my beckett. I lose foam for less than 10 minutes when I feed...and not even always at all. I will lose it for about 15 mins if i have my arms in the tank for a bit...but not a fast in and out of the tank. 

I also don't lose it when I use epoxy or glue but also never do all that much at once so maybe thats why...i also believe I skim better with this skimmer than I have in the last 10 years with needle wheels hands down...its so thick its like mud. 

Tony - Feel free to put down what you find to be disadvantages of a needlewheel skimmer.  My point is that these days they beat the becketts in all categories.  They're quieter, more energy efficient, produce equal to better skimmate (having used both on my tank), and I don't run into any of the down times I did with the beckett.

Jenn - You must have a magic skimmer!!  I always had trouble with my MRC losing foam head.

Tony - Feel free to put down what you find to be disadvantages of a needlewheel skimmer.  My point is that these days they beat the becketts in all categories.  They're quieter, more energy efficient, produce equal to better skimmate (having used both on my tank), and I don't run into any of the down times I did with the beckett.

Jenn - You must have a magic skimmer!!  I always had trouble with my MRC losing foam head.

I was curious to hear what you think the disadvantages are to the NW.  If you cant think of any that is fine.

maybe you don't have the magic head touch

I have to join Steve's team. I have used Becketts and AquaCs. I was always frustrated keeping them skimming reliably. It seemed like the more you needed them, the less they would skim. I may have been doing something wrong, but I never broke the code. I also disliked the fact they required big pressure-rated pumps that used lots of electricity and made lots of noise.

I am amazed at how quiet, efficient and reliable needle wheel skimmers are now days. A recirculating skimmer with 3 PSK1000s would be a real easy choice for me.

So I'm looking at this, rated for 400g which is about what I have. 

Octopus Diablo DC 250 Skimmer DCS-250INT

But it comes in at $585.99 which seems to good to be true given that the others in the same range can be up to $1200. What am I missing?