(Another) Evergrow LED configuration question

Shoelace

I've been doing my research of all the multiple group buy and Reef Central threads in anticipation of getting IT2040's and I have just come down with a bad case of paralysis by analysis.  This is very new stuff to me.

The default ERC configuration is supposed to give you a 14K look, but it looks like it's basically 1:1 blues to whites and has a bunch of warm whites to boot.  A lot of people here seemed to configure theirs to a 2-3:1 blue to white.  The threads here have a lot of discussion about ordering the lights, but less on outcome of their chosen configuration.

Could anyone point me in the right direction, please?  I am definitely going for a 14K or "bluer" look.  Definitely not a 10K (which is what I think the default configuration would look more like when I see the layout).  Thanks.

I don't know what the ERC default configuration is, but if it is the reefbreeders default layout is what I went with. I find by adjusting the channels I can easily hit a variety of "flavors" so to speak.

I know I'm a bit far, but I always tell folks they're welcome to come see them in person. Play around with the channels and get a feel for it.

How many LED's are there in the fixture?  Need that to make a personal recommendation.

it2040 - includes an intuitive controller which has an LCD and is a touch interface. it allows intensity changes in half hour or one-hour increments and one can program a sunrise, sunset, and a moon cycle if they choose. it has 55 3-watt LEDs and measures 16" x 8.5" x 2.5". this fixture comes with one power cord for clean wire management and a remote for control at a distance of the 3 channels.

It's interesting that you bring that up, Isaac. The ERC and the ReefBreeders are quite different with respect to the use of warm, neural, versus cool whites. The fixture that I'm looking at has 55 LEDs but I noticed that people talk about these fixture terms of ratios so I guess it can be made applicable to different numbers of LEDs?

It's interesting that you bring that up, Isaac. The ERC and the ReefBreeders are quite different with respect to the use of warm, neural, versus cool whites. The fixture that I'm looking at has 55 LEDs but I noticed that people talk about these fixture terms of ratios so I guess it can be made applicable to different numbers of LEDs?

This is what I did with the 2080, again, just the reefbreeders layout put in the old GB format:

Screenshot2013-11-27at15938PM_zpsca7ccd8

I didn't know much about LED's when I got the fixture, and I figured worst came to worst, I could always change the LED's out to get the look I wanted, above was an OK starting point with me. I have not looked back. Again, just my opinion. I can try and post a video tonight ramping up and down with the different looks if that will help any, but I feel like the colors wont be anywhere close to true.

B1=460nm, B2=450nm, B3=440nm, V=420nm, UV=400nm, G=520nm, O=600nm,

R1=630nm, R2=660nm, R4=730nm, W1=2700k-3500k, W2=4500k-5000k W3=6000k-7000k,

W4=8000k-10000k, W5=10000k-14000k, W6=14000k-16000k, W7=16000k-18000k, W8=18000k-20000k

DIY Color Layout (55pcs 3W LEDs)

Dimmer One(28LEDs)=2B1+6B2+10B3+6V+4UV

Dimmer Two(27LEDs)=1B1+6B2+4B3+2G+4R2+8W5+2W7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

1 B3 W5 B2 B3 B3 B2 B3 B3 B2 W5 B3

2 B2 UV R2 V W5 B3 W5 V R2 UV B2

3 V G B1 W7 B2 B1 B2 W7 B1 G V

4 B2 UV R2 V W5 B3 W5 V R2 UV B2

5 B3 W5 B2 B3 B3 B2 B3 B3 B2 W5 B3

D1 D2 D1 D2 D1 D2 D1 D2 D1 D2 D1

B3 W5 B2 B3 B3 B2 B3 B3 B2 W5 B3

B2 UV R2 V W5 B3 W5 V R2 UV B2

V G B1 W7 B2 B1 B2 W7 B1 G V

B2 UV R2 V W5 B3 W5 V R2 UV B2

B3 W5 B2 B3 B3 B2 B3 B3 B2 W5 B3

Ordering (2) D120s with the above

I got these about a year ago?

Love them! Obviously my own configuration...

Ah, I see.  You guys both have a blue:white ratio of at least 2:1 (not counting UV, gree, reds, etc.)  The Reef Breeders is also around 2:1 but it uses warm whites and the ERC looks like it has closer to 3:2 but it uses cooler whites.

Does anyone know if this makes a difference?

ERC:

ERCLayout_zps96c61210.jpg

ReefBreeders:

ReefBreedersLayout_zps9024b3b0.jpg

The default ERC configuration is supposed to give you a 14K look, but it looks like it's basically 1:1 blues to whites and has a bunch of warm whites to boot.  A lot of people here seemed to configure theirs to a 2-3:1 blue to white.  The threads here have a lot of discussion about ordering the lights, but less on outcome of their chosen configuration.

Could anyone point me in the right direction, please?  I am definitely going for a 14K or "bluer" look.  Definitely not a 10K (which is what I think the default configuration would look more like when I see the layout).  Thanks.

i think you may be misunderstanding the layout or got your hands on the wrong information. the ERC standard layout as attached in the latest ERC evergrow group buy thread has 18 whites, 8 of which are cooler white. we don't use a bunch of warm whites because the warmer whites can drown out everything else easily but they are great for contribution to the overall spectrum for coral growth. so you have 18 whites and 33 blues. an almost 1:2 ratio. most folks rarely use the evergrows at 100% intensity unless you have a taller system or a system that is used to 400w MHs. as such there is little emphasis that needs to be taken into consideration for the ideal color aesthetic at 100% of all channels. rather, the adjustability of the channels with the given ratio allows for whatever aesthetic you prefer while allowing more than sufficient light to grow any coral you wish within 95% of the tanks they are used over at less than 100% intensity.

if you want a bluer look, then turn down the whites and bam you got it. or if you find your corals hungry for more light after acclimation and need to crank it up and find yourself losing the aesthetic you want, it's a couple minutes to swap a couple whites to blue and the extra LEDs are so cheap you might as well grab a few extras and perhaps driver for redundancy/back up.

i try to tell a lot of folks it is easy to get lost in all the threads and all the folks telling you what is best. as rob often says "it's a light, it will grow coral" and it will under myriad layouts and configurations. there are a ton of ways to design the layout and have great success and the ERC standard layout is one way and takes all the racking your brain out of the situation. if you do have a chance to check out someone elses fixture and really like it, then copy it and you can order a custom layout for free as part of this G. hopefully this helps ;)

Thanks, Marcos.  You warned me against getting bogged down with the layouts, but I just couldn't help myself.  I'm just so curious about why ReefBreeders (like Isaac's layout) decided to go with the warm whites and people seem to like that.  I gotta digest the info you gave me and try to stop thinking so much!  I'm glad, however, there is at least another person interested in the same question, so I guess it's a valid post...

Here's my custom layout for the D120:

D120layoutwith2827-jack_chin-howaboutme-

It has warm whites and is not as blue if both channels are at the same intensity, which is what I wanted. You can see the lights in the reflection here.

I love that pic! Great composition and fit for the holidays. So why did you go warm rather than cool?

Thank you!

Let me preface my answer by saying I am not an expert by any means w/ LEDs. My result is from many months of research and following the RC (and WAMAS) threads before I jumped on a previous GB.

I went with the warms to provide the extra spectrum that's missing from the cool whites. The 3500K provide red while the 7500K provide the blue/green spectrum (if I remember correctly, it's been a while). While the warms provide the "full" spectrum, I chose to add the extra green and red LEDs to give the corals the extra pop. If you do add green and/or red, you will get the disco effect unless you go w/ no optics or the 120D optics. I took out the optics in mine for those 4 LEDs.

what is the cost of the it2040...if its not too late i would be interested in getting in on this group buy?

GB pricing is private and as such i have pm'd it to you. if interested in joining, i need your reply in the thread and order to the email supplied in the GB thread instructions before 9pm, tonight. we'd be happy to help you and get your order submitted. please PM me back with your status immediately. thank you.