Welcome new Moderators

Origami

Congrats! But did we lose moderator(s), or did we just gain two?

Gained two. Lost one (due to inactivity) a while back.

Guys, thank you for serving our community like this.  It says a lot about who you are that you will volunteer countless hours to help newbies, advise on expert topics, and answer the same questions a dozen times while always having an upbeat attitude.  I admire you because it's more than I am capable of.  Maybe some day.  Congratulations.

Thanks all! It's an honor to help around here, despite being the rowdy bunch that you all are ;)

I thought the mods were expert hobbyist's like CoralHind and Origami?  huh, o well. :laugh:

Too funny. 

I hope this isn't an indication that CoralHind is going to be less active on the board because I will want to consult with him in a year or so on how to get a wife to accept a really large saltwater tank into the house.

Too funny. 

I hope this isn't an indication that CoralHind is going to be less active on the board because I will want to consult with him in a year or so on how to get a wife to accept a really large saltwater tank into the house.

his wife enjoys it just as much....a very nice woman too...so you need both of those considerations in order to be successful....

Too funny. 

Do what I did - get the tank in the house while she's away on vacation!

I thought the mods were expert hobbyist's like CoralHind and Origami?  huh, o well. :laugh:

Not quite accurate. Moderators are entrusted to enforce rules and community standards, and to be helpful where they can be - locking threads, editing posts, etc. This can take a lot of time and spreading the load out a little more helps the rest of the team, provided that the standards continue to be consistently implemented. In order to perform this function, moderators have extra privileges on the boards that give them the ability to modify and delete threads, and to sequester abusive accounts (e.g. spammers).

Sponsors have moderator privileges over their forums but, for the most part, most of our other forums are moderated by a much smaller team that consists of the officers, a few ex officers, and a very small number of other volunteers. Coral Hind and I are probably the most active moderators of this team right now. Expanding the moderation team affords us some relief while ensuring that we can continue to serve the community well.

When determining whether or not to expand the moderator team, we look at things like need - do we need to add capability? Demeanor: Are we confident the individual exercise good, thoughtful judgement; not be too heavy handed; and ask questions if needed. Commitment: Has the person demonstrated a commitment to the community? Willingness: Is the person willing to take on the extra burden required of a moderator, including sometimes becoming a target? Integrity: Does the person understand and can they live up to the standards that we desire of all in official capacities here? Conflict: Is there a conflict of interest (real or apparent) that potentially undermines the effectiveness of the moderator?

These are just some of the things that we'll look at when considering expanding the moderator team. Moderators are not discussion leaders but often, because of our frequent presence, do read many of the threads and get involved in a lot of what goes on here.

Demeanor: Are we confident the individual exercise good, thoughtful judgement; not be too heavy handed; and ask questions if needed. Commitment: Has the person demonstrated a commitment to the community? Willingness: Is the person willing to take on the extra burden required of a moderator, including sometimes becoming a target? Integrity: Does the person understand and can they live up to the standards that we desire of all in official capacities here? Conflict: Is there a conflict of interest (real or apparent) that potentially undermines the effectiveness of the moderator?

These are just some of the things that we'll look at when considering expanding the moderator team.

This was a nice complement to pay the new guys...and it applies to the old guys too. Thanks for what you do

He's slowly taking over...first it was picture of the month...now hhe's a moderator..hhrrrmmm

next

the world!?

you mean he did picture of the month once or twice a long time ago? LOL... :laugh:

I thought mods were a a crustacean of the chiefly marine order Amphipoda. Or maybe that was something else? Huh, o well ;)

He's slowly taking over...first it was picture of the month...now hhe's a moderator..hhrrrmmm

next

the world!?

I'll settle for taking over my tank (properly)

you mean he did picture of the month once or twice a long time ago? LOL... :laugh:

You're absolutely right, Jenn, I've dropped the ball on this one, yet again. Not to sidetrack, but I've done a quick turn around thread for a POTM Dec. 13, and will continue November into January. Read up about my New Years resolutions!