Brad's 18" Rimless Cube | Powered by Nanobox

brad908

That clam rock is sweeeeeet. Everything is looking really nice man, you will need a bigger tank soon once all those clams start to grow :) Your calcium consumption is going to be redic in that little cube!

Thanks man. No bigger tank for me, like how this one fits in the room.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad,

Can I be your friend? Please? Pretty please??

I think I can make room for you.

Plants! Water this weekend

89B115CE-CE41-49E0-8AE0-CFB37D95FAA4_zps

81DDCE1B-CFD0-44FF-A1CB-6B2DB0A5D5C7_zps

Don't worry guys, full reef pics tonight. I had to let the sand settle after the massive cleaning last night.

That FW tank looks like the edge of my backyard after a cold winter.

Lol, not sure if that is good or bad.

Plants look awesome. Can't wait to see it wet! 

Thanks. Can't wait to add a ton of cardinal tetras. I don't know FW stocking, but it seems like people put a ton of them in their tanks. Hoping to do 10.

Shoulda waited for the sun to go down.

Yellow Hammer

yellowhammer041514_zps38d182ee.jpg

War

war041514_zps117bebc3.jpg

Scoly's

scoly041514_zps5c5cc88a.jpg

Acan

acan041514_zps5477b66d.jpg

Left Rock

leftrock041514_zps1ab8b7c0.jpg

Left looking up

leftsideup041514_zps78d6abd6.jpg

Left side

leftside041514_zps66b27bee.jpg

Right side

rightside041514_zps738b230e.jpg

Green Hammer

greenhammer041514_zpsf653ecf9.jpg

FTS

topdownfts041514_zps6dae8b0e.jpg

straighton041514_zpse22973fe.jpg

Looking really great! Your patience astounds me. Why don't you throw 10 more scolys in there!

Looking really great! Your patience astounds me. Why don't you throw 10 more scolys in there!

Thanks man. Yea, I feel no rush with this tank. Making sure I only get corals I like. Scoly's will be coming over time, keeping my eye out and in contact with some vendors.

I wish I could truly capture this tank with just the blue led's.

Looks great...but the war coral looks pretty lonely over there...

Thanks. Yea, it is stuck behind the rock out of direct view lol. I think it weas a freebie or I mistakenly bought it in a live sale. It is growing pretty well though, think I'm gonna move it in front of the right rock.

I wish I could truly capture this tank with just the blue led's.

"Said everybody ever in this hobby...."

Fish?

Coming. 2 black ice clowns and a blue spot jawfish. And a few sexy shrimp. The fish will just complete me with this tank. Loving how easy it has been not worrying about coming home to RTN'd SPS, or strict water change schedule.

I killed my one large chromis by accident :( I was sucking out water and he swam right into the tube.

Ugh that's awful.

Blue spot Jawfish is my favorite fish. I blew it not putting one in my tank first and now it's too late...tank is too active and it will stress the fish out. Are your rocks on the glass or on the sand?

Ugh that's awful.

Blue spot Jawfish is my favorite fish. I blew it not putting one in my tank first and now it's too late...tank is too active and it will stress the fish out. Are your rocks on the glass or on the sand?

Only the back middle is on sand. I made the sand pretty deep in the back. Chance of the jawfish knocking the rock over?

I know they make multiple tunnels so it's best to have the rock elevated on something so the rock doesn't shift if contact is disrupted and kill the fish trapping it under the rock..I was going to cut some pvc discs and use that to elevate the rocks so the fish can't disrupt but I could still cover the pvc under sand.

I have an engineer goby in my lps/softy tank and didn't do this and he has caused many rock slides...

Only the back middle is on sand. I made the sand pretty deep in the back. Chance of the jawfish knocking the rock over?

Yes, Absolutely. If you left one weak point in the tank I guarantee you the jawfish will go there and dig out a den. Murphy's Law.

Be sure your tank is *completely* covered as they are prone to jump until they have completed a den. This process may take a week or two.

The jawfish will dig a den in one area, not like it, and go to another at night. He may also bury some of your corals on the sand in the process.

You can help the jawfish out by providing a lot of small snail shells, and small rubble rock which will be used to secure his den quickly.

Good luck!!

One more thing- 

Blue spots have bigger mouths compared to their yellowhead counterparts... 

2887960112_150c4d3418.jpg

....and will eat smaller fish.  

Now you guys are talking me out of a jawfish lol. Getting a really good deal on it.

I have a top on the tank and I only have 3 individual rocks, no rock stacking or anything.

Should I go for it?

Love the scoly's.  They are awesome.  You should check out some Indo Scoly's (aka: Acanthophyllia deshayesiana).  I had one a while back, and regret getting rid of it:

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/06/04/acanthophyllia-deshayesiana-indo-pacific-scolymia-officially-recognized/

8257805469_6c615ddb70_c.jpg
20121208_131426 by mteske1, on Flickr

Edited by BowieReefer84

I would! I love jawfish...

Just keep in mind also...

the blue spot likes a little cooler water....

so 75-77 will make it more comfortable than the 79-81 most people keep their reefs at....

like I said Jawfish are my by far my favorite fish, but they don't have a record of longevity in tanks....you are so OCD about your tanks I have a feeling you will resent it in the end lol... 

but they do have very specific special requirements

like I said Jawfish are my by far my favorite fish, but they don't have a record of longevity in tanks....you are so OCD about your tanks I have a feeling you will resent it in the end lol... 

....especially the Blue spots with regards to longevity.  IMO, I would skip the jawfish in your tank as I can see a scoly getting buried a few times.  There won't be many places for the fish to come up with a den in a cube.

its not just the brrying of corals...it will create all sorts of hills etc in the sand and I know that will drive brad insane every day LOL...

agreed, the blue spot has a very low survival rate...the yellow head has a higher percentage, but all the same issues...

Love the scoly's.  They are awesome.  You should check out some Indo Scoly's (aka: Acanthophyllia deshayesiana).  I had one a while back, and regret getting rid of it:

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/06/04/acanthophyllia-deshayesiana-indo-pacific-scolymia-officially-recognized/

8257805469_6c615ddb70_c.jpg

20121208_131426 by mteske1, on Flickr

Are those also referred to as "meat" corals? They're pretty nice.

I would! I love jawfish...

Just keep in mind also...

the blue spot likes a little cooler water....

so 75-77 will make it more comfortable than the 79-81 most people keep their reefs at....

....especially the Blue spots with regards to longevity.  IMO, I would skip the jawfish in your tank as I can see a scoly getting buried a few times.  There won't be many places for the fish to come up with a den in a cube.

its not just the brrying of corals...it will create all sorts of hills etc in the sand and I know that will drive brad insane every day LOL...

agreed, the blue spot has a very low survival rate...the yellow head has a higher percentage, but all the same issues...

Leaning towards no now. Don't want a dead fish, buried scoly's, and uneven sand (it is already bad enough from the mp10's)