Power went out!

dmatt56

Oh no..... The wife and I left town yesterday for my niece's baptism today. It looks like the power went out around 5 PM today. When we got home.....the basement was dark. I knew the GFI flipped. The temp dropped to 70 degrees.

Good: survivors

School of 6 wrasses

Clown pair

Dotty back pair

Mandarin

Yellow tang

Clown goby

Blenny

Bad: didn't make it

Orange Flame back wrasse pair (these are the probably culprits of the water splash that flipped the gfi

Flame angel (newest fish)

Starburst anthia

Unknown:

Watanabei angel

Swissguard basslet

Dart fish

Lights are on....

Heaters are going...

Need to know......how quickly before the water change?

The corals all look good for now.

Any suggestions about what to do?

Thanks,

Matt

I'm sorry to hear that.  Did you find where the water actually splashed to trip the GFI?  I hope there isn't any more water or salt creep hidden where it could happen again. 

Sorry to hear about that.  I'm down in Stafford, VA and we lost power for about an hour and a half due to high winds.  No losses on my end but I was starting to sweat it when the temp started dropping.  Hope everything pans out for you.

Found the angel....didn't make it.

So 5 out of 20 fish didn't make it

Hope everything survives through the night.

Temp is slowly creeping to normal.

Corals look good for now.

I am so sorry about your losses.
Just curious, how long did you have the wantanabei for? Any problems with him? I plan on getting one, I would have loved to have seen him in your tank!

No, it was great. I had her for about 2 years. I planned on getting a other one since it was turning male.

Correcting typos...

school of anthias (not wrasses) survived

Power went out yesterday at 5 pm (about 26 hours total)

Edited by dmatt56

This is a good lesson to get me motivated to hook up my MP40 battery backups. Would the 70 degrees cause death or did you have complete stagnant uncirculated un oxygenated water? Seems like 70degrees isn't too bad but Im new and luckily have not been that low. How do you like the school of anthias? do you really have to feed them 3-4 times a day or is that hog wash?

I feed my anthias once a day and have for a year.  It depends on how long your food circulates in your tank so they can get their fill  It's hogwash, don't be afraid to get some.

By the way Matt, sorry for your losses.  My GFCI circuits in my bathrooms sometimes stay off after a power outage.

Matt,

I have some test kits you can borrow if you need them. Off the top of my head I have -

Ammonia

Nitrate

Phosphate

Calcium

Alk

Mag

Sorry for the losses. Why do you think a water splash from the fish set off the GFCI? Can you do something to protect against that? Watch for ammonia rising. You may not need a water change if you got most of the bodies out before there was much decay. It's possible that, if there was any sort of rise, that it may have even passed by now.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

So was the power out the whole 26 hours? Or did it the outlet not come back on after the power was restored? From what I understand, the portable GFCI outlets are designed to stay off (per OSHA standards) because they are designed for temporary use in which case automatically coming back on may have consequences. The built in GFCI's should restore as normal after power comes back on.

Sorry for your losses. I know that's upsetting.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Did you find where the water actually splashed to trip the GFI?  I hope there isn't any more water or salt creep hidden where it could happen again. 

My male wrasse constantly chased the female and would splash water frequently.  I guess some dripped on the outlet to flip the GFI.  I need to create a cover for the outlet!

This is a good lesson to get me motivated to hook up my MP40 battery backups. Would the 70 degrees cause death or did you have complete stagnant uncirculated un oxygenated water? Seems like 70degrees isn't too bad but Im new and luckily have not been that low. How do you like the school of anthias? do you really have to feed them 3-4 times a day or is that hog wash?

Both temp and no circulation.  I feed when I get home at 6 pm and again in the evening.  I'm really shocked the anthia school survived....they are hardy!

Matt,

I have some test kits you can borrow if you need them. Off the top of my head I have -

Ammonia

Nitrate

Phosphate

Calcium

Alk

Mag

Thanks Ryan - I'll keep you posted.

Sorry for the losses. Why do you think a water splash from the fish set off the GFCI? Can you do something to protect against that? Watch for ammonia rising. You may not need a water change if you got most of the bodies out before there was much decay. It's possible that, if there was any sort of rise, that it may have even passed by now.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

Yes, fish splashed water.  I need to create a cover/box.  All 4 bodies were removed.

----

So, 4 casualties out of 21 fish (watanabei angel, flame angel, starburst anthia, and male orangeback wrasse).  The dartfish is usually burried so it's TBD.

I hate that I lost my 2 angels.....I wanted to pickup a 2nd watanabei to have a pair.....

Orchid dottybacks and clowns are both mating today, so I think things look good. Orchid had eggs in her hiding spot.

All 4 bodies were removed so there wasn't a chance for decay.  I dropped in a poly-filter to be safe.

Thanks for all the support everyone!  

The 2nd orchid dottyback and zebra dartfish poked their heads out.  After all said and done, only 4 losses.

Corals all look fine. The hammer, frogspawn, and trumpets looked stressed.....

Matt