Which carbon to use??

steveoutlaw

I'm getting ready to bomb my tank with flatworm exit.  I have a 2 stage BRS media reactor that I'll be using for running carbon.  I'm planning on rinsing the carbon, putting it in the canisters and running RODI through it for a few minutes before putting it on the tank.

The question is, does it matter what sized carbon?  I currently have a canister full of the carbon pellets that look like little hamster turds, but I have to get more for the other canister.  Should I get the same thing?  Finely ground?

I thought the larger the surface area, the better the carbon binds. Of course I could be completely wrong. :)

Nope - you are right. The smaller the particle, the larger the effective surface area. The larger the surface area, the more material it adsorbs.

I prefer BRS Bulk Premium ROX 0.8 Aquarium Carbon. It has a very high surface area and rinses clean very quickly.

Edited by jaddc

There is some carbon in walmart that I believe is the manufacturer as the brand marineland black diamon. Its on the same package, just different label. I have been using it and it is very cheap..

Nope - you are right. The smaller the particle, the larger the effective surface area. The larger the surface area, the more material it adsorbs.

I prefer BRS Bulk Premium ROX 0.8 Aquarium Carbon. It has a very high surface area and rinses clean very quickly.

The Rox really is the cleanest option out there in my opinion. Barely needs to be rinsed at all, compared to big stuff.

+1 Rox is good stuff.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

Seachem Matrix Carbon or Zeovit Carbon for me, since I run a Zeovit tank.  Most of the others are too aggressive and will do bad things to the tank.  Both of these rinse clean pretty quickly, but it's faster if you just dump a bunch of boiling hot RODI on it :)  I would do this outside, fyi.