www.Battlecorals.com Review

BowieReefer84

I have not received my shipment yet, as it is not due to arrive until November 5th.  However, the experience has already been so good that I am going to start my review now.  I will update it once the corals arrive, and after they (hopefully) grow out for me.  There are two other folks in on this order as well.  A group buy of sorts.

I searched relentlessly for a vendor with SPS a notch above what I have seen in my local area, and ended up on www.battlecorals.com.  Did some searching and only saw positive experience from those on some of the national forums.

I emailed back and forth with Adam Derickson until we decided on a pack.  He cut them to order, and will let them heal a little over a week prior to shipment.  Very nice guy willing to talk on the phone about his system and methodology of reefkeeping.  I asked him a couple simple questions like what salt he uses and what alk he maintains, and he gave me a detailed email response with all his parameters as well as what equipment he uses, and husbandry.

He just sent a quick text/photo of the corals this afternoon.

"Hi mike

Here is a quick pic I shot this am of all the frags but a couple of the monties.  B they are in a separate system.

Pic shot under 65k iwasaki.  I promise you they glow under 12 or 20k.

Let me know if you have any questions at all."

10484307574_86da420f29.jpg

battle corals 10.25.13 by mteske1, on Flickr

Mine are the three with red arrows I drew.

TOO BE CONTINUED...

Wow, that's very cool. I find it hard to believe you had to go outside the area to find better corals! I'm interested to see how SPS handles shipping, and how your pieces will look in your tank. Thanks for sharing.

(edited)

My area is not YOUR area (that statement was not a reflection of the vendors on this site)...  For me to get to Northern VA is not easy.  I have store like House of Trop and Todays Pet...

Links to those three corals top to bottom:

http://www.battlecorals.com/PANIC-acro-1897.htm

http://www.battlecorals.com/Banannas-Banannas-Banannas-201.htm

http://www.battlecorals.com/The-Purpy-Pillie-1599.htm

Ps - The prices in our group buy ended up less than those prices, but I won't say how low.  

Edited by BowieReefer84

My area is not YOUR area (that statement was not a reflection of the vendors on this site)...  For me to get to Northern VA is not easy.  I have store like House of Trop and Todays Pet...

Touche.

I forget how big the VA/MD area is sometimes. Well played. Still following along!

Werent you planning to do an entirely montipora tank?

Yea, that changed. haha

I am going to put some acros on the top peaks (7 acros total) with the montipora's all down low.  I am picking up two monti from battle corals order as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Order was picked up yesterday from seller at 6:22pm and at my door at 9:53am today.  Had to take a day off...

Here are pictures so far.  Once corals acclimate and lights come on I will update.

10695458424_40c1ce2e1e_b.jpg
10695413155_882d4e07c3_b.jpg
10695670623_493e633d87_b.jpg
P1030221 by mteske1, on Flickr
10695427925_a2362153ba_b.jpg
P1030222 by mteske1, on Flickr
10695491266_d462be639d_b.jpg
P1030223 by mteske1, on Flickr
10695469044_a350be4500_b.jpg
P1030224 by mteske1, on Flickr
10695656653_324bf445fd_b.jpg
P1030225 by mteske1, on Flickr

NO LIGHTS ON (2 of these in front were freebies)
10695660933_7a8805eedd_b.jpg
P1030233 by mteske1, on Flickr
10695658473_cc67625af1_b.jpg
P1030234 by mteske1, on Flickr

I'm happy.  Not sure how the other two buyers corals look, but hopefully they will be satisfied as well.

(edited)

The purple one is considered "small" per Adam's email correspondence, and the other two are as listed.  I think on the site he lists them at 1" per frag or something.  The monti on the right was large.  The tubbs stelleta  and sunset were the freebies.  All prices were considerably less than listed on the site, and two freebies...  I think that's good.

Jason fox is charging $80 for 1/2" - 3/4" one of my freebies, that is like 2":

http://www.jasonfoxsignaturecorals.com/product_p/m-41.htm

Edited by BowieReefer84

(edited)

That is this http://www.battlecorals.com/The-Purpy-Pillie-1599.htm

I didn't pay $100 though and my frag is larger than 3/4" that he has that listed at.  I think I paid like $70 for that one (can't remember), which I am cool with assuming I don't kill it.

His picture is top down of course, and mine is after being cut and shipped.  I think it is very close to what is shown on his website as are all the corals I got.

Edit - Post #3 in this thread has links to all my acro from his site.

Edited by BowieReefer84

That is this http://www.battlecorals.com/The-Purpy-Pillie-1599.htm

I didn't pay $100 though and my frag is larger than 3/4" that he has that listed at.  I think I paid like $70 for that one (can't remember), which I am cool with assuming I don't kill it.

His picture is top down of course, and mine is after being cut and shipped.  I think it is very close to what is shown on his website as are all the corals I got.

Edit - Post #3 in this thread has links to all my acro from his site.

Thanks for all that. It's gorgeous, hope it grows quick!

I got 10 frags as part of this group buy. All of the frags were giant by most standards. Every single one had multiple branches and were colored up very nicely. A far cry from the booger-sized, brown frags that are prevalent in the hobby today. Adam was a pleasure to deal with in every way possible. I would not think twice about purchasing from BC again or recommending him to anyone.

• 3 months later...

I am just posting a followup that everything is still doing wonderful with exception of that sunset monti chip I received.  That was a freebie though, so not a big deal really.  The tubs stellata was also a freebie, and seems to be an extermely slow growing monti so far.  The best of the bunch in terms of growth is the purpy Pillie.  In about 3.1/2 months frag disk is completely covered.  I'm not sure if this is slow, average, or fast, but I am happy it didn't wither away and die.

12737347534_3729cbc56e_o.jpg
20140223_212505-1 by mteske1, on Flickr

The deepwater and green thin branch are doing well, but not nearly fully encrusted.