Lighting for a 12x12x12

YHSublime

Suggestions? I want LEDs, not familiar with soldering or DIY, but interested in learning. Will only be Lps, maybe a clam down the road.

12 inches or 12 feet?  (You never know around here...  :eek: )  If it's the smaller:

MaxSpect Razor Nano, AI Nano, LedTric Par38, ReefBreeders Value?

12 inches or 12 feet? (You never know around here... :eek: ) If it's the smaller:

Curious why you didn't recommend a par30 since you have 2 for sale. (I may want one btw)

Might want to keep a clam. I think a PAR30 is good for softies and zoas, but I think you need to kick it up a notch with clams. I would not want to sell something that is not fit for the application.

Get yourself a DIY LED kit and have fun with it. I have had great success with the Aquastyleonline kits (this is what I used for my sump, and main tank lighting). They grow all the corals and clams you want :)

Also, you can borrow my soldering iron. 

Edited by Jason Rhoads

I have a couple par 38 bulbs for sale... Not listed for sale yet on forum...(no fixtures for them though...) interested??

Wow, lots of things to think about. I'll probably go par 38. I bequeathed a nano (or is it pico?) I plan on setting it up in the office, but don't want anything crazy. Will take my time setting it up, even thinking about doing an ato!

(edited)

12 inches or 12 feet?  (You never know around here...  :eek: )  If it's the smaller:

So, Inches. I should have clarified. I was on my phone, which means I was considerably extra lazy. But you're right, around these parts...

why not get a par38

That seems to be the general consensus 

Great thread, it's a wormhole into other threads into other threads, you get the idea. Thanks!

Get yourself a DIY LED kit and have fun with it. I have had great success with the Aquastyleonline kits (this is what I used for my sump, and main tank lighting). They grow all the corals and clams you want :)

Also, you can borrow my soldering iron. 

I think this would be a good learning experience, and I also think these, at 8 LED's will be more than enough to cover what I need. I might take you up on that. If it doesn't suffice, then I'll have a par 38 on hand. 

I'd suggest par30 or 38 too.  Maybe the ones that ERC are doing now?

I was wondering about that, I figure I should be able to order a different color pattern? I asked in his thread section. 

Wait, another tank?

Yeah, I think it'll be an office tank. Does anybody at work really know how deep we're in? It'll be super simple, rock, sand, zoas, palys, maybe a skunk or two, or a watchman and a pistol. 

I have a couple par 38 bulbs for sale... Not listed for sale yet on forum...(no fixtures for them though...) interested??

What colors? You're a bit far away from me, but maybe. 

Seriously? This from the guy that went from 0 to a 150 gallon in under a year ;)

Your office will be the new National Aquarium in no time! :)

I should start a new build and call it "0-150 in 365" See above question to "does anybody at work really know how deep we're all in?"

Haha. Wait if he doesn't sell the 57g. It will be in the office for sure.

<sigh> Somebody buy it! I'm going to move it into storage soon. I'll set it up again when the time is right if it doesn't move soon. 

isaac - i got a few new par38s in box (no whites, though) a mix of 420 and 450nm you can try for free if you want.

Thanks, I may take you on that, that's a blue/green spectrum, right? 

Edited by YHSublime

That 8 LED kit is exactly what I have running over my sump right now. I have had it for about 2 years with no issues. I used that fixture to "sell" myself on LEDs for growing coral. It will grow any SPS you throw at it. If you want to add an extra LED or two they are uber cheap on that site. They will also throw in one or two extra of each color you choose free of charge (no need to ask, they just put them in the box as spares). 

I have some other color spectrum BL LEDs that I am not using. If you go with that kit and want to play with some diff color temps they are yours. 

That 8 LED kit is exactly what I have running over my sump right now. I have had it for about 2 years with no issues. I used that fixture to "sell" myself on LEDs for growing coral. It will grow any SPS you throw at it. If you want to add an extra LED or two they are uber cheap on that site. They will also throw in one or two extra of each color you choose free of charge (no need to ask, they just put them in the box as spares). 

I have some other color spectrum BL LEDs that I am not using. If you go with that kit and want to play with some diff color temps they are yours. 

I liked this idea a lot up until I saw the $24 shipping price tag. As well as saying it could take up to 2 weeks? What was your experience like? Understanding the DIY concept a little bit better than myself, is it possible, and is it worth, getting a driver to having a dimming function?

I don't use the dimming on any of my LEDS that much. I played with that functionality a lot in the beginning, but now they just turn on and off like every other light. If you want to get the dimmable driver for that kit I am sure they have an option for that, if not, they will work with you when ordering. Those guys are awesome as far as customer service goes. 

I think you should go the DIY route with this light for two reasons:

1) this kit makes it ridiculously easy

2) you will know more about how these lights are put together if your other fixtures ever need repair

3) yes a there is a third reason... it is fun!

The shipping probably wont take the full two weeks. My 8 LED kit was at my door in a week (ordered Saturday had package on Friday), but the 120 LED kit did take two weeks. The stuff comes from Hong Kong, and it can take time clearing customs. 

Price it out, and if you can get as much bang for your buck going with another option, you should go for it. For me, the savings came in on my main tank light fixture --120 LEDs and 5 MW drivers for just over $300.

You could also ditch the heat sink and use a bit of c-channel from Home Depot. That way you only pay shipping for a small envelope of LEDs and the driver. The c-channel will do just as well, and will only cost you 8 bucks (I know this to be true because I have been running my lights like this for over a year now --fixture isn't even hot to the touch... with no fans). 

I don't use the dimming on any of my LEDS that much. I played with that functionality a lot in the beginning, but now they just turn on and off like every other light. If you want to get the dimmable driver for that kit I am sure they have an option for that, if not, they will work with you when ordering. Those guys are awesome as far as customer service goes. 

I think you should go the DIY route with this light for two reasons:

1) this kit makes it ridiculously easy

2) you will know more about how these lights are put together if your other fixtures ever need repair

3) yes a there is a third reason... it is fun!

The shipping probably wont take the full two weeks. My 8 LED kit was at my door in a week (ordered Saturday had package on Friday), but the 120 LED kit did take two weeks. The stuff comes from Hong Kong, and it can take time clearing customs. 

Price it out, and if you can get as much bang for your buck going with another option, you should go for it. For me, the savings came in on my main tank light fixture --120 LEDs and 5 MW drivers for just over $300.

You could also ditch the heat sink and use a bit of c-channel from Home Depot. That way you only pay shipping for a small envelope of LEDs and the driver. The c-channel will do just as well, and will only cost you 8 bucks (I know this to be true because I have been running my lights like this for over a year now --fixture isn't even hot to the touch... with no fans). 

You're right, they are awesome, and I found that out when I woke up this morning. I think this will be the way I go. I contacted their customer service last night inquiring as to why shipping was so ungodly expensive. They answered me within hours, and I got it when I woke up. They had already provided me with some great options. The customer service alone was enough to earn my business.

Contact Marcos and get a d120.  They are well built, customizable, inexpensive...........and you can use it when you upgrade to a 24x24x24 cube.

I actually had a D-120 on my 29 gallon. IMO that would be overkill for this. I'm running 2 of the it-2080s on my 150, there is no doubt in my mind that they aren't fantastic. I will also like to have this light sit a little closer to the water, I feel like a d120 would have to hang a lot higher to get a nice looking spread.