Aquarium/water damage insurance

Newms118

So I'm still setting up my tank and I'm trying to find an insurance company that will insure damage from my tank to the apartment. I have State Farm renters insurance but when I talk with the agents, they just refer me to my policy and say the damage to the apartment is covered under my liability clause. Problem with that is that no where in the policy is there any reference to water damage by aquarium (also nothing excluding water damage from aquarium either). What I want is something in writing bc when I talked with a State Farm liability claims officer over the phone, she told me only damage caused by fire, theft, or explosion was covered and refused to address my question about water damage from an aquarium. Any thoughts on the matter?

X

I just had 30 grand in damages to my house caused by my 90 gallon tank cracking it was covered under my home owners policy it covered all damages to my dwelling. It did not however cover any damages to my personnel property my computer , laptop an iPad the tank itself and all it's contents. This was due to the fact it was considered a pet ( the fish ) caused the damages!

I have Met Life. Not sure if this helps any.

I believed renter insurance covered damage cause by "you" (the tenant). However, many landlords will charged extra if you have pet or aquarium. we have a menber here that pays, i believed $75 per month, for her tank. I would run it by the landlord.

As someone who has rented apartments all over, yes; check with your landlord. They may provide damage coverage although with an extra fee. I know I've always paid pet rent (I made my dog perfom x number of tricks to pay her rent ;) jk) and it covered damage from her. I do recall a lot of aquarium clauses in my lease. Also, I know there are many insurance providers who have special options for aquarium coverages.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

It doesn't take long to hit 30k....especially if your in a multifamily unit...

Most renters insurances cover the damage, just not the specific items that were damaged as those are for 'pets' as mentioned before...

Though as long as you have riders for computers, art, jewelry or anything else specific your personal items excluding aquarium contents should be covered...

Yes, this topic was gone over about 6 months ago, but I couldn't find it in the search.  I asked my insurance agent who said that if the tank dumps 100 gallons of saltwater on my floor the homeowners insurance policy would cover it.  Aquariums are not mentioned specifically in the policy, though.

As someone who has rented apartments all over, yes; check with your landlord. They may provide damage coverage although with an extra fee. I know I've always paid pet rent (I made my dog perfom x number of tricks to pay her rent ;) jk) and it covered damage from her. I do recall a lot of aquarium clauses in my lease. Also, I know there are many insurance providers who have special options for aquarium coverages.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Do you know what insurance companies offer these, bc i will likely drop my state farm so that i can get something that covers this specifically. Gives me better piece of mind.  I went through my lease a while back and nothing is mentioned about fish, aquariums or waterbeds.  I do know my landlord didnt want dogs, and we have a bird so he knows we already have pets.  May still have to run it by him though just to make sure.  I figured if i showed the insurance clause he would less likely to turn it down essentially.

waterbeds do have a specific insurance company rider that you can get.  When I had one it was an extra $2/mo on the renters insurance.

Yes, this topic was gone over about 6 months ago, but I couldn't find it in the search.  I asked my insurance agent who said that if the tank dumps 100 gallons of saltwater on my floor the homeowners insurance policy would cover it.  Aquariums are not mentioned specifically in the policy, though.

These?

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/51381-renters-only-poll-are-you-paying-a-fee/

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/53597-insurance-rider/

I have statefarm and they told me any water damage from the tank would be covered under my condo insurance.  It is also covered if the tank happens to fall through the floor.  I asked that as well.

It is also covered if the tank happens to fall through the floor.

Maybe I will upgrade to that 200G tall then ...

(wood cross beams in my condo, no idea if I'm actually perpendicular or not)

My home owners coverage already covered an RODI leak into my neighbors unit

Edited by PotomacBoater

Maybe I will upgrade to that 200G tall then ...

(wood cross beams in my condo, no idea if I'm actually perpendicular or not)

My home owners coverage already covered an RODI leak into my neighbors unit

Yea figuring out which orientation my floor joists were running was difficult. Stud finder on the ground did nothing, had to use the metal detection mode on my ceiling to get the direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have statefarm and they told me any water damage from the tank would be covered under my condo insurance. It is also covered if the tank happens to fall through the floor. I asked that as well.

My problem with this is that when I talked with a liability claims adjuster from State Farm, who would handle the damage to mine and my neighbors condos, she said only fire, theft, and explosion were covered. This wasn't what my agent indicates, which makes me confused. Guess I just need to talk with a different liability claims officer for my renters insurance. I'll post the response when I get something definitive/up to date.

My problem with this is that when I talked with a liability claims adjuster from State Farm, who would handle the damage to mine and my neighbors condos, she said only fire, theft, and explosion were covered. This wasn't what my agent indicates, which makes me confused. Guess I just need to talk with a different liability claims officer for my renters insurance. I'll post the response when I get something definitive/up to date.

better yet have them show you exactly where in your policy that is so you can be positive that what they say is really there....cuz if it happens and you argue But Sally Brown said it was covered....guess what....you aren't going to be happy. 

Mine (usaa) more or less covered the tank as if it was an appliance (toilet, wash machine etc..) though not specifically stated in the policy . Covered damage caused by the leak to the structure, did not cover the broken "appliance". This wasn't renters but homeowners insurance.. Not sure if that would be the same.

I did about $15k in 2002...