RENTERS ONLY POLL: are you paying a fee?

treesprite

Home Renters' Aquarium Fees  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rent your home?

• Yes
    • No (please do not continue the poll)
  2. 2. How big is your largest aquarium (or combined volume of all visible tanks/sumps/etc)

• 49g or less
    • 50g to 99g
    • 100g - 149g
    • 150g - 200g
    • Larger than 200g
  3. 3. Do you pay an extra fee to keep your tank(s)?

• No, and all my utilities are included in the rent
    • No, and I pay both electricity and water bills
    • No, and I pay only water
    • No, and I pay only electricity
    • Yes, and all my utilities are included in the rent
    • Yes, and I pay both electricity and water
    • Yes, and I pay only water
    • Yes, and I pay only electricity
  4. 4. What is your fee?

• None
    • $20 or less
    • $21 to $40
    • $41 - $50
    • $51 - $69
    • $70 - $99
    • $100 or more
  5. 5. Do you feel that the fee is fair and resonable?

• Yes
    • No

POLL is for RENTERS ONLY. If you own your own home, please do not answer the poll questions, but feel free to make comments.

PLEASE SPECIFY your details in a post, since it's hard to tell from a poll what the combined factors are for individual respondents.

Thank you. Hopefully this will help those of use with high fees bargain with our landlords or property managers.

Do you have renter insurance? I know that most apartment/rental properties nowadays required renter insurance (cost about $100 a year). I personally don't think anyone should pay pet renter fee, especially an aquarium, if you have renter insurance.

Haha interesting results so far. One person doesn't read instructions and at least one renter who doesn't have to pay a fee but doesn't think that is reasonable.

Haha interesting results so far. One person doesn't read instructions and at least one renter who doesn't have to pay a fee but doesn't think that is reasonable.

Who doesn't read instruction!biggrin.gif

" If you own your own home, please do not answer the poll questions, but feel free to make comments".

Forrest, perhaps your're the only paying renter fee for your aquarium!!lol.gif

Renters insurance doesn't protect the renter, it protects the owner from potential lawsuits. Keeping an aquarium is a calculated non-necessity risk, and as such floods caused by them is not typically covered in standard renters insurance. If my aquarium caused damage to my apartment, the damage would not be covered. If some other tenant's aquarium caused damage to my property by leaking into my apartment, the damage would be covered by my insurance, not by the insurance of the aquarium owner.

I think a small fee is reasonable, but definitely not $900 a year like I have been paying ($75 a month).

Who doesn't read instruction!biggrin.gif

" If you own your own home, please do not answer the poll questions, but feel free to make comments".

Forrest, perhaps your're the only paying renter fee for your aquarium!!lol.gif

There are 6 renters and 1 owner votes. All the questions have 7 votes. Unless a rented voted twice, someone didn't stop answering...

Renters insurance doesn't protect the renter, it protects the owner from potential lawsuits. Keeping an aquarium is a calculated non-necessity risk, and as such floods caused by them is not typically covered in standard renters insurance. If my aquarium caused damage to my apartment, the damage would not be covered. If some other tenant's aquarium caused damage to my property by leaking into my apartment, the damage would be covered by my insurance, not by the insurance of the aquarium owner.

This is wrong. Renters insurance most definitely protects the renter. That is its function. It generally protects the renters personal property if crap happens. Landlords insurance is what protects the property owner. If a renter burns the property down, renters insurance covers the renters property in the unit and landlords insurance covers the cost of rebuilding the unit.

This is wrong. Renters insurance most definitely protects the renter. That is its function. It generally protects the renters personal property if crap happens. Landlords insurance is what protects the property owner. If a renter burns the property down, renters insurance covers the renters property in the unit and landlords insurance covers the cost of rebuilding the unit.

+1,

Any Insurance agent here?

I rent my townhome... and in the pet clause (As i also have 2 dogs that i paid a $1000 DEPOSIT to have) it says no tanks over 29gallons. that being said I have a 50g and dont think that its a problem... I am also a home owner for 2 houses that both have renters and if they asked, id let them have a big tank as long as they have renters insurance BECAUSE YES it does cover damage to the home... the renter may not get reimbursed for any of their equipment or livestock if something happens but I woul dbe covered and so is the home owner of the home I rent as I have EXTREME renters insurance...

Renters insurance also covers the landlords property IF the renter causes damage.. the Renter would have to file a claim for accidental damage depending on the circumstances...that being said it depends on the damage and the owners insurance will also cover damage from a renter...

I will have to investigate the renters insurance again from other companies, because I have been told differently. The insurance company either gave me bad information or is a bad company. I don't have renters insurance because I don't have much of monetary value in my apartment, and there is no requirement for renters insurance.

But this isn't a discussion about insurance, unless someone can come up with aquarium owners insurance.

Am I the only person here who pays a fee?

Same here: I never had to pay a fee when I was renting. I did lose most of our deposit with our last place as it went to replace the wood flooring under the tank. :rolleyes:

I will have to investigate the renters insurance again from other companies, because I have been told differently. The insurance company either gave me bad information or is a bad company. I don't have renters insurance because I don't have much of monetary value in my apartment, and there is no requirement for renters insurance.

But this isn't a discussion about insurance, unless someone can come up with aquarium owners insurance.

Am I the only person here who pays a fee?

If you Google renter insurance aquarium, you find many reef aquatics sites that do discussed about renter insurance that covered damaged caused by renter aquarium. I personally think your landlord is stiffing you on the fees. Here is my suggestion, do a research in renter insurance and negotiate with the landlord to see if you can replace you fees with renter insurance. Would definitely not hurt to try. My cousin is a Allstate agent, if you like to talk to him.

If you Google renter insurance aquarium, you find many reef aquatics sites that do discussed about renter insurance that covered damaged caused by renter aquarium. I personally think your landlord is stiffing you on the fees. Here is my suggestion, do a research in renter insurance and negotiate with the landlord to see if you can replace you fees with renter insurance. Would definitely not hurt to try. My cousin is a Allstate agent, if you like to talk to him.

That's my car insurance company of over a decade.

I actually just went through all of this with my recent move (and still am to some extent). I'm renting a condo in Gaithersburg. The building has 3 renters and mostly owners in it, so they are concerned about my fish tank being too heavy, etc. I have a 75g tank with a 29g sump.

As far as fees go, my landlord asked me for an extra $100 security deposit on top of the $300 for my dog. No big deal there since I'll get it back. I also showed that the tank is on a mat that protects the floors from scratches and water. No monthly fees, I don't see why they would.

I specifically asked my insurance company, State Farm, about the tank. They said any damage caused by the tank leaking or failing will be covered, but the tank and its inhabitants won't. I pay $130 a year.