Avast CS3 question!

YHSublime

When I go to connect piece 33 to 39 (the cone to the cone flange) it does not sit inside it. Should it sit on top, or should it be a pretty close seal? I have tried placing the cone inside, and I have tried sliding the flange from the top (small of the neck) down. I don't want to force something if it isn't right!

I also have an extra piece (I presume this isn't standard) that isn't in the instructions, at least that I can find after dry fitting and then starting to assemble. It's a round circular piece slightly larger than the skimmer neck, but smaller than the lid ring. It's height is about 1.5".

Did you send it everywhere at once?  lol 

I replied to your pm.

Haha, yeah, I did. I've started assembling it after/before hours at work, as I have more space and I'm less cluttered. I wanted to get an answer before I went in tomorrow to finish it up! I got your PM, thank you very much for your quick response!

So I've got the monster put together, but I'm not getting past the bubble plate with the two CS1's. I don't have my MJ-12000 hooked up yet, but if I just plug the hole will that do the job? Something tells me I'm doing something wrong here, what's it take to get bubbles to the neck?

Thanks for all the help with the new flange, makes a heck of a difference!

If you don't have a feed pump putting water into it, you erm, won't have much water in it. It sounds like you only have the two sicce 1000 recirculation pumps on, right? You need a feed pump pushing water in and a gate valve limiting the out flow. The sicce pumps just pull in air, not water, so whatever water is in has just leaked in from the flanges and unglued pipes.

ere8y4y6.jpg

Long story short the extra pump really does make all the difference? How do the regular non recirc ones function...

Regular non-recirculating skimmers draw water in from the outside and into the body of the skimmer. Recirculating skimmers only recirculate the water in the skimmer. New water enters from the outside via a feed pump. Alan's explanation is spot-on. You need to put a feed pump on and adjust the outflow to bring the water level up in the body of the skimmer.

hmmm if only we could have a social where we could learn to put these together.... :ph34r:

And I was there, obviously not learning much :P

If you don't have a feed pump putting water into it, you erm, won't have much water in it. It sounds like you only have the two sicce 1000 recirculation pumps on, right? You need a feed pump pushing water in and a gate valve limiting the out flow. The sicce pumps just pull in air, not water, so whatever water is in has just leaked in from the flanges and unglued pipes.

The tides have turned. Thanks Alan.

Regular non-recirculating skimmers draw water in from the outside and into the body of the skimmer. Recirculating skimmers only recirculate the water in the skimmer. New water enters from the outside via a feed pump. Alan's explanation is spot-on. You need to put a feed pump on and adjust the outflow to bring the water level up in the body of the skimmer.

So I could set the CS3 up to be non recirculating, I guess my question was how to do that. Either way, hooked up a MJ1200 today and it's amazing what that little pump will do. CS3 is going online tomorrow night, sitting in a 15 gallon showing me how pretty it is right now.

To set it up non recirculating I think you would take off the elbows which pull water from the inside into the sicce 1000's then plug the holes that those went in. I could be wrong, but then the sicce pumps would be pulling in sump water and also air.

To set it up non recirculating I think you would take off the elbows which pull water from the inside into the sicce 1000's then plug the holes that those went in. I could be wrong, but then the sicce pumps would be pulling in sump water and also air.

That sounds right

Yes, this is correct.  With the CS3 you only need to do it on one of the pumps, leave the other recirculating.

Next question (and hopefully the last) this is the first time I've ever broken in my own skimmer. I ran it 24 hours with the valve completely open, and it overflowed for the night. into the afternoon. while it was completely open, bubbles finally just started coming to the top of the neck. I moved it into my sump this evening, and it promptly began to overflow again, with the valve completely open. How long does it to break in, and is it OK that I'm doing it in my sump now?

Yes it can take a few days until it gets a good slime coat on the inside parts.  What pump are you using to feed it?  Can you cut that back to very slow flow (~50gph) so the water level is very low in the skimmer body?  i.e., try to lower it down to a few inches below the neck union (4-6 or so) and try to get it to skim very dry.

Yes it can take a few days until it gets a good slime coat on the inside parts.  What pump are you using to feed it?  Can you cut that back to very slow flow (~50gph) so the water level is very low in the skimmer body?  i.e., try to lower it down to a few inches below the neck union (4-6 or so) and try to get it to skim very dry.

MJ1200, I guess I could jerry rig something to control the flow. I don't mind it overflowing and skimming wet. I'm just running a tube from my lid back into the sump. Will the water level eventually drop as it coats, or is controlling the flow from the MJ an absolute?

dont stress .....it can take a week or so to break in a skimmer....

You know I'm all about the instant gratification.

Just let it go........it takes time.  You shouldn't have to throttle back the MJ at all.

Thanks, Steve. That's what's happening now, it's just going full speed ahead.

you can get more flow through the check valve by increasing it to 1.5" and use 1" bushings on either end.

Thanks. I might actually switch that out. There is enough flow to move the water back up and the tank has 2 jb 40's and 2 mp 40's, so circulation doesn't seem to be an issue yet...

Lookin good Isaac!

Thanks! It's still breaking in <sigh>