Warren's 90 gallon Zeovit tank

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the wrasse. Interested to see how he does for you. This is one of the ones my boyfriend wants for our tank (well, as much as he wants anything), but I'm hesitating.

Also, Flounder on R2R has some amazing stuff. Did you just get the Oregon tort from him?

Yeah, he gave me two small sticks of it on one plug. He's generous with his frags. The one I got from Graham was single, but larger. So far the one from Flounder has no green tint, but the one I have from Graham has a bit of green in it. I've read that this may be due to potassium levels, and I have elevated potassium at the moment. It's definitely a slow grower though. Of all the frags I've gotten lately, this is the only one that I have to go back to pictures to notice growth. The rest are easy to see growth on.

I put in an order with getyourpods.com. Help restock my amphipods for the blue star, whom we have named Star Lord. I have used them in the past and the sheer amount of amphipods they give you is almost disgusting

He isn't up very many hours of the day so far. Less than my melanarus used to stay up. Still nervous til I see him eat more.

--

Warren

Star Lord disappeared for about a week into the sand. He's reemerged and is hungry for frozen cyclopeeze, but my supply is almost out and iirc it is not available. Hope I can find some locally.

--

Warren

Star Lord disappeared for about a week into the sand. He's reemerged and is hungry for frozen cyclopeeze, but my supply is almost out and iirc it is not available. Hope I can find some locally.

Really nice fish there. Glad to hear he's risen.

Sigh. Blue star leopard wrasse did not make it. Didn't eat enough and stayed in the sand a lot. Totally bummed. I have a love for fish that are problematic eaters.

--

Warren

Sigh. Blue star leopard wrasse did not make it. Didn't eat enough and stayed in the sand a lot. Totally bummed. I have a love for fish that are problematic eaters.

--

Warren

Sorry for your loss.

• 2 months later...

My tiny frags are starting to encrust nicely and some are shooting off branches, but my battle from dinos last year is reoccurring. I can see them starting to crop back up. I'm currently dosing H2O2 and ordered some Fauna Marin Ultra Algea X as a contingency plan. Looks like the stuff works but is super potent, and needs to be used with great care.

--
Warren

My tiny frags are starting to encrust nicely and some are shooting off branches, but my battle from dinos last year is reoccurring. I can see them starting to crop back up. I'm currently dosing H2O and ordered some Fauna Marin Ultra Algea X as a contingency plan. Looks like the stuff works but is super potent, and needs to be used with great care.

and how is that working for you, Warren?  :laugh:

Sorry. I just couldn't resist. I'm assuming that you mean you're dosing H2O2.... I'll make the correction. Dinos suck. Raising the pH often helps, too.

Warren, you don't happen to use those plug-in air fresheners in your house, do you? I had a nasty bout of dinos (or something a lot like them, but thicker and gooey-er) many years ago that I ultimately associated with Glade plug-ins that were in the basement in the same room with the tank. I took the plug-ins out and the problem went away.

and how is that working for you, Warren?  :laugh:

Sorry. I just couldn't resist. I'm assuming that you mean you're dosing H2O2.... I'll make the correction. Dinos suck. Raising the pH often helps, too.

I went super aggressive last time. 3 days of blackout + kalk + H2O. Sucks that they are back. I'm hoping to avoid the same level this time, since I some mighty pissed off corals, and I think I lost a few frags, IIRC. Easiest way for me to be 100% positive is that this stuff basically kills or slows down my ceriths that try to eat it. I got an army of dumb hermits to eat some of it, but there's too much on the rocks near the corals for them to eliminate.

Warren, you don't happen to use those plug-in air fresheners in your house, do you? I had a nasty bout of dinos (or something a lot like them, but thicker and gooey-er) many years ago that I ultimately associated with Glade plug-ins that were in the basement in the same room with the tank. I took the plug-ins out and the problem went away.

Boy, don't I wish it was that easy. Nope, no home deodorizers of any sort. My wife and I generally can't stand those sorts of things. I'm guessing you never really get rid of them, and everyone's got some in their tanks, but when things get optimal for them, they explode. I've been feeding heavily the last few weeks trying to keep my nutrients from being zero, plus I trained up a new blue star leopard wrasse successfully. Currently training one of my other very favorite fish in the world, a copperband that is eating frozen. He'll eat like 1-2 PE mysis a day right now. Unfortunately, I have a small yellow tang that appears to hate the heck out of him. I didn't even think that the yellow tang was going to be an issue. I moved the copperband to the sump for now, but I need to catch the tang. Copperband > yellow tang :)

Anyways, I'm guessing all the extra feeding is not helping the situation.

(edited)

They are single-celled, free floating algae, related to the dinoflagellates known as zooxanthelle that live in corals. When conditions are right, they multiple like crazy and form snotty brown strings in the tank. Usually they have bubbles trapped in them, due to rapid photosynthesis. The bubbles help differentiate them from other pests. To make matters worse, dinos are toxic to snails and corals, or at least acropora. My softies and zoas don't seem to care too much.

I'll update when I get the Ultra Algea X in. I'm keeping them at bay right now with a healthy dosing of H2O and RODI. I've done a ton of research on them, and one of the things that will destroy them nearly instantly is a blast of RODI. Someone did some tests under a microscope and found that anything under 1.14 SG destroys them.

One other thing. They LOVE lower kelvin light. I can leave royal blue leds on and not see rapid expansion of them, but if my white T5s kick on, the speed at which they multiply is phenomenal. They don't even require much in the way of nutrients, so you generally can't outcompete them with any other methods.

Edited by wangspeed

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly positive news. The Fauna Marin Ultra Algea X (not a typo, it's the way they spell it) has gotten rid of almost all my dino issues. I have some milles that look pretty pissed and are starting to stn, but all other acros look good. Could probably blame the dinos as much as the Ultra Algea X. First treatment was monday night. I only dosed enough for about 60 gallons, and did it again on wednesday night.

The other news is that after a few weeks of being trapped in a compartment in my sump, my copperband has discovered that blackworms taste like candy, so he is aggressively eating them now! I'm fattening him up before I release him into the display. He's living in maybe 4 gallons of space, sharing it with a large biopellet reactor :( I think having a small space, unharnessed, allowed him to acclimate to the blackworms. Also helped that the compartment was initially filled with feather dusters for him to chow down. Now to catch that tang... Piper27's got dibs at the moment. Helps that he's like 5 minutes away form me. I'm reasonably confident that this CBB will make it! Third time is a charm I hope.

I'll have to restock on a few milles if mine don't make it. A shame, but a small price to pay for beating back dinos. Again...