Warren's 90 gallon Zeovit tank

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having my first problems with the tank :(  I'm getting RTN/STN lately, and I haven't figured out why yet.  7 months of bliss, and the last few weeks have been challenging.  Going to start doing some additional water changes, and I'm getting my water tested by AWT.

That sucks, what is showing rtn/stn? What have you changed or done differently that could cause it? What was or is your interchange schedule?

I've been talking to Ridetheducati about some of stuff that's going on. Right now, I'm going to take a guess at reduced air intake on skimmer as the root cause. I did move to new felt socks around when the problem started up too. I'm a little suspicious that I may have introduced some trace chemicals to the tank by putting damp socks back in. I've moved back to mesh for now.

--

Warren

Don't worry man I have some on the frag rack right now. Let me know when you get things settled again and I will hook you up. Tony's colony is a actually probly bigger than mine now, maybe you should get a piece from him instead! :) I Definatly cut it back a lot in order to spread it around, I really love that piece.

Did a second WC yesterday.  Part of what's so frustrating is that I was getting brilliant colors just before everything went to H-E-double hockey sticks in a handbasket.  I should get my results from AWT shortly.  I sent it out on saturday.  I don't see any evidence of AEFW.  I've been looking like a hawk.

Got my AWT results.  And the culprit is....

Copper (Cu) High 0.05

I'm guessing it's from when I started using felt socks, and was washing them with tap water.  I ordered some cuprisorb to combat this.  Aside from that, I found out that both my potassium test kits are utterly useless.

Got my AWT results.  And the culprit is....

Copper (Cu) High 0.05

I'm guessing it's from when I started using felt socks, and was washing them with tap water.  I ordered some cuprisorb to combat this.  Aside from that, I found out that both my potassium test kits are utterly useless.

Did you use the Red Sea K test kit? 

I used a Salifert kit, and also tried the infamously unreadable Zeovit K kit.  I'm all the way down at 226 according to AWT.  I haven't been dosing it lately because the Salifert kits shows me 370 or so.

Did a little research.  Zeospur contains copper.  I only dosed it twice, at low levels and very far apart.  Maybe there is buildup between this and the filter socks :why: I do run the recommended amount of carbon in a bag near the return pump.

More water changes ahead.

Use a media reactor for carbon. Running it passive is not as affective.

Use a media reactor for carbon. Running it passive is not as affective.

That is intentional. You must run the carbon passively with Zeovit.

--

Warren

Warren, beautiful tank.  I actually really like your idea of snaking a line through your air duct and pumping water to the second floor.  It will save your back from a lot of stress carrying buckets back and forth.  I'd recommend a diaphragm pump that does relatively small volume but relatively high pressure if you decide to continue that route.

I look forward to seeing your tank evolve.  How has the red tree sponge done in your system?  I hope you have enough turbidity in your water to make it thrive. 

Funnily enough, the red tree sponge is actually growing, not receding like most do.  The copper in my system must be organic, since I still have pods, shrimp, and snails.  I won't even count hermits, since they can pretty much live in a toilet :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my melanarus went and ate something big that made him sick. His belly was quite large before I fed.  He gasped all day yesterday, and now he is nowhere to be found.  Probably buried himself late last night, way past his normal bed time. Not looking good for him :sad:

As far as my acros, it definitely got way worse while I was out of town for a week. I lost some of my very nice frags. Frustrating setback. Ensuring everything stabilizes out before I put any acros back in.

Just reading through I see you mention copper.  Try running a polyfilter to see if it changes colors.  This would help provide some insight.

Do the filter socks have rings?  Are they metal rings or plastic?  Just thinking "outloud" to try and help.

I've been running cuprisorb for over a week now.  Polyfilter cannot absorb low levels of copper, and will in fact leech it into the water if it is under a certain level.

Just plastic rings on the filter socks.

Sorry to hear about it. I wish I could offer you some sound advice, but all I can do is offer my sympathy. I lost 2 of my mini colonies when I started dosing. One was a leishmans tabling acro that I was able to frag and actually keep from the RTN is doing really well.

Hopefully your Melanurus will pop it's head out again, but it sounds unlikely?

Warren, do you keep your flasher wrasses as pairs?

Single males so far. Been working out okay, since they can "flash" each other.  They're actually fairy wrasses, not flashers, but they all flash, especially my red velvet.

Sorry to hear about it. I wish I could offer you some sound advice, but all I can do is offer my sympathy. I lost 2 of my mini colonies when I started dosing. One was a leishmans tabling acro that I was able to frag and actually keep from the RTN is doing really well.

Hopefully your Melanurus will pop it's head out again, but it sounds unlikely?

He's hanging in there. Still gasping.  Tough to watch.  I almost put him out of his misery.

Single males so far. Been working out okay, since they can "flash" each other. 

I was hoping to hit you up for some eggs if they bred.  But it sounds like that's not going to happen.  Thanks anyway.