Need to build an 8 outlet project box

Neto

I need to build something like this for my project:

P1040637.jpg

I searched around to see if maybe i could find a housing for it but no luck.

My plan is to get a big project box and make the holes so that outlets can fit nicely but the problem is how do I make the perfect holes? I dont really need the switches..

Edited by Neto

That box is a beauty. There are online places to get project boxes, and you may be able to find a punch to make those holes, but I dont know if it would come out that nice. If you just want a bunch of outlets in a boxwith no individual switches, why not buy a powerstrip?

That box is a beauty. There are online places to get project boxes, and you may be able to find a punch to make those holes, but I dont know if it would come out that nice. If you just want a bunch of outlets in a boxwith no individual switches, why not buy a powerstrip?

I need to be a project box because I would like to add an 8 channel relay module so that I can control heaters, pumps, ATO & other equipment with my arduino project. I will also be adding some 15 pin D-Sub connectors to make connections *clean*

If you use a panel-mounted outlet (which these look like), you don't have to have "perfect" holes as the flange on the outlet will cover minor imperfections. These holes are normally punched, though. A draw punch (Greenlee punch) would suffice for a small job like this, but you would have to find a source for the right sized die and they can be pricey. You could drill a series of holes through a marked up outline and then cut and file until things were clean enough to push the panel mounted outlet through.

Could you mount this outlet strip to another box to create space to place your additional components? Then just rewire the strip.

If you use a panel-mounted outlet (which these look like), you don't have to have "perfect" holes as the flange on the outlet will cover minor imperfections. These holes are normally punched, though. A draw punch (Greenlee punch) would suffice for a small job like this, but you would have to find a source for the right sized die and they can be pricey. You could drill a series of holes through a marked up outline and then cut and file until things were clean enough to push the panel mounted outlet through.

thanks for this suggestion, i have a dremmel and might be able to make the cuts with a small disk..

Could you mount this outlet strip to another box to create space to place your additional components? Then just rewire the strip.

Thats nice, but a little too much $.. I want to keep this as cheap as possible!

Where did u find that box. That thing is awesome. Much better then a DJ strip

I was searching aroung google and found a guy that was working on a reefing project. If you right click on the img, you can find the url where its coming from.

what about something like this:

IMG_4304.jpg

cheap but functional, i am wondering how can I make those holes? maybe use a trim router and maybe those metal outlet covers as a template for the holes?

cheap but functional, i am wondering how can I make those holes? maybe use a trim router and maybe those metal outlet covers as a template for the holes?

why not just use a wall plate, isn't that what that is?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_473225-45383-10833SN_1z0yt24+1z10ha7+1z10weu__?productId=4621966&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-88030-Receptacle-Wallplate-Thermoset/dp/B000U3I46O/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1380653102&sr=1-3&keywords=

4621966lg.jpg

51%2ByANWoh5L._SL1000_.jpg

Edited by monkiboy

Could you just use a 3gang metal surface mount outlet box and some armored conduit to run to the outlets? A bit industrial, but safe.

If you want each outlet to be separate you can break off the tabs on the hot sides.

P1040637.jpg

My plan is to get a big project box and make the holes so that outlets can fit nicely but the problem is how do I make the perfect holes? I dont really need the switches..

This is exactly what I want to do!

Is this relay good for running an Orphek PR-25?  I think its 25 watts.  I also have my 50 watt heater & Koralia 425 I would run on it.

Edited by nova423

P1040637.jpg

I've also thought about just forgetting the relays and using these.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I think I will go with what Origami suggested but using el cheapo components from china such as these

I've also thought about just forgetting the relays and using these.

Thats too expensive!!! if you want 8 channels then you need to buy 8! Trust me its not that hard to wire some 5v relays, specially when you can buy something wired on a PCB like this

I'm interested in this build as well.  Using this relay.

I saw this but jarduino currently provides the same capabilities and more, the GUI itself is more advanced.. But who knows, this is an ongoing build and it might get better over time.

I saw this but jarduino currently provides the same capabilities and more, the GUI itself is more advanced.. But who knows, this is an ongoing build and it might get better over time.

This thread kinda turned me off the jardunio.  I've read other examples of the code for it wetting the bed in the forums.  It could be that they are using the free software that is available without a donation.  

How bout some crydom solid state relays? You can get surplus ones cheap with dc control voltages from 3v and AC outputs up to 280V.

This thread kinda turned me off the jardunio.  I've read other examples of the code for it wetting the bed in the forums.  It could be that they are using the free software that is available without a donation.

Interesting, thanks for posting.. I will research out and see if this has been fixed

How bout some crydom solid state relays? You can get surplus ones cheap with dc control voltages from 3v and AC outputs up to 280V.

I dont mind mechanical relays but those are good options if you really like silence jeje

Went with the monobox from Nanobox.  Really excited, the orphek on the ikea gooseneck was pretty, but I was going to have to get another lamp because just having the one fixture in the middle was not enough.

Pretty good deal, includes the storm controller.

http://nanoboxreef.com/

Went with the monobox from Nanobox.  Really excited, the orphek on the ikea gooseneck was pretty, but I was going to have to get another lamp because just having the one fixture in the middle was not enough.

Pretty good deal, includes the storm controller.

http://nanoboxreef.com/

The enclosure looks nice but what about the performance? any PAR readings? what about spread? for my 24"x24" tank i would probably need 2 ($500) and only 4 channels to dim (2 on ea).

You could use the dualbox to possibly use one unit. $450

Here is some par info i googled quickly http://www.flickr.com/photos/63309413@N05/6026157114/

If you email Dave he seems to be pretty receptive to helping to customize your setup.  david@nanoboxreef.com  

I chose him because I really don't feel like doing any more DIY in the near future.  Especially LED lights, arduino, etc.  I've ready your thread and you def are a DIY expert, I like DIY but just don't have the time.