Roggers Food

swimmatte

I google searched for information on this topic and found absolutely nothing, which was pretty surprising.  So I picked up some Roggers food over the weekend and have been using this week.  The first time I used it, I thawed it in half a cup of tank water, then added a little bit at time to the tank with a dosage syringe.  I should note that during feeding time I turn my two MP10's down as far as they go, but not off.  So, within 15 minutes of feeding, my skimmer went bonkers and flooded within minutes.  I did a little bit of reading and it seems people highly recommended feeding Roggers with the use of one of those feeding nets on a suction cup.  Unfortunately, I didn't have one of these but was able to make one that worked out of a piece of clear DIY screen top material and a seaweed clip.  So I fed this way with everything else the same, but got the same result.  Then I thought, well darn, maybe I need to feed this stuff with my skimmer off.  So I used the feeding net, and fed with my skimmer off. 30 minutes after feeding I turned my skimmer on and what do you know, it starts overflowing again.  What the heck could be going on?  Now, before anyone says it's just my skimmer being weird, it also did the same thing when I fed my frag tank with it.  And when I say I fed my frag tank, I mean I put the smallest little piece in there, maybe about the size of a sunflower seed.  I really want to be able to use this food, because my fish seem to love it, and it seems my corals like it as well.  I am amazed at how much my zoas are able to grab, as I can tell they're all munching on it at feeding time.  What's going on here?  Has anyone had this issue when feeding Roggers or any other frozen food?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know about Roggers specifically, but I have been putting small pieces of thawed Rods food and Gamma mysis into my tank and havent seen any skimmer nuttiness. My total volume is around 125 gallons, though, so I imagine it is pretty dilute by the time it hits the skimmer.

That is weird.  I feed the Formula One frozen and it usually has the opposite effect on my skimmer.  Everytime I feed frozen it kills the foam in my skimmer.

Yea, that's my experience with frozen.  Either no effect or kills head b/c of oils in the food.  Never had it overflow.

Do you possibly have a little soap on your hands, knife, spoon, cup, cutting board, or squirter that could be foaming it? So far I am not being particularly careful with clean hands before putting them into the tank, and now that the skimmer has some doodoo in it, it is really stable.

Wow, I guess it's just me. Before trying Roggers, I did feed Rods food without those results. Now one thing did happen that might be the cause.... I had the food picked up for me because nobody sells it near me, and it was dropped off to me at the Jebao pick up. By the time I got home, it had partially melted, and when I refroze it, it had sort of separated and there was a white-ish substance. It kind of looked like bacon fat. I'm wondering if what I've been feeding has been a highly concentrated portion of the food like the garlic. Maybe I could thaw it and try refreezing it evenly?

Now I did use a cutting board and knife to chop it into pieces before putting it in a Tupperware for ease of use but I really don't think either item was contaminated.

by the time I get home from QR my food is pretty much defrosted and I just smooth it out and refreeze and have never had an issue....even with the ice packs vince is always so sweet to send me home with...its just that the food is so thin...I honestly never have a skimmer issue...if i overfeed I will lose foam for just a few minutes if anything...never overflow....so I think that is a very oddly sensitive skimmer ya got there.

by the time I get home from QR my food is pretty much defrosted and I just smooth it out and refreeze and have never had an issue....even with the ice packs vince is always so sweet to send me home with...its just that the food is so thin...I honestly never have a skimmer issue...if i overfeed I will lose foam for just a few minutes if anything...never overflow....so I think that is a very oddly sensitive skimmer ya got there.

I think you sold me some counterfeit Roggers food. Did you fill the bag with Jans and keep the Roggers for yourself? Lol jk

You had suggested my skimmer was sensitive before but this has never happened before with other food, and it happened with both of my tanks/skimmers, so it makes me think it's not my skimmer. Anyone local to me want to experiment and let me feed your tank once to see what happens with your skimmer?

I want to be able to use this food because it seems my livestock love it. But if I have to adjust my skimmer every time I feed, it's not going to be worth it.

I think you sold me some counterfeit Roggers food. Did you fill the bag with Jans and keep the Roggers for yourself? Lol jk

You had suggested my skimmer was sensitive before but this has never happened before with other food, and it happened with both of my tanks/skimmers, so it makes me think it's not my skimmer. Anyone local to me want to experiment and let me feed your tank once to see what happens with your skimmer?

I want to be able to use this food because it seems my livestock love it. But if I have to adjust my skimmer every time I feed, it's not going to be worth it.

you really think I have Jans food in my possession?

so you think out of the 4 bags I bought yours was the roulette bullet? since I am already done using the first of my bags and am on the second now? :P

Matt, you can put some of that food in my tank if you want.  I'm down the street from you.  Then we run downstairs and see if the skimmer goes crazy.  Maybe Mr Rogger dropped some dish soap in that batch, or got some fish parts preserved in glycerin or something.

you really think I have Jans food in my possession?

so you think out of the 4 bags I bought yours was the roulette bullet? since I am already done using the first of my bags and am on the second now? :P

:tongue:  No, I was joking.  I do not think you would have done any of that!  You did give it to me free of charge though, so that IS a little suspicious :ph34r:  

Matt, you can put some of that food in my tank if you want.  I'm down the street from you.  Then we run downstairs and see if the skimmer goes crazy.  Maybe Mr Rogger dropped some dish soap in that batch, or got some fish parts preserved in glycerin or something.

Awesome.  I will respond to your PM and see when I can get over there.  Hopefully your skimmer goes nuts too, then I can just get a different batch and all should be well!

Maybe I'm the worst out of everyone, but I do a large mix of rods foods (herbivore, roe, predator blend etc), add saltwater, and keep it at 33 in the fridge open top.  Lasts me about 5 days and no problems with skimmer.  I know this is OT but is this bad for the food to be defrosted this long?  I've been doing it for a little over a month with no issues.  Haven't noticed any rotten smells or anything.  I got the idea from the automated peristaltic frozen food feeder models on the big forums. 

So, for the past two days my frag tank skimmer has not overflowed.   I'm wondering if it was a fluke that one time the frag tank skimmer overflowed.  The display skimmer is still having the issue, but that skimmer is SUPER dirty, and hasn't been cleaned thoroughly in like 9 months.  I'm going to take it apart and give it a good cleaning, then see if I still have the issue.  I'm wondering if the fact that it's so dirty is making it extra sensitive.  I'll report back after I get it done and feed again.