Mangrove Growing

YHSublime

I have used them for years, they are cool, slow growers, I assume they consume nutrients just like any other plant.  The roots make great filtration, and media for pod growth.  I have hundreds of them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already lost interest in this idea. I have a migraine from reading those threads. Althought, it might be from the fumes from painting my stand.  I'm sticking with what I know works for now. Good luck, mate.

It's really for aesthetics... for me at least. It may be complicated, but I will let you know on how I do growing them. I plan on reading as much as possible. Luck will most likely be needed.

I have used them for years, they are cool, slow growers, I assume they consume nutrients just like any other plant.  The roots make great filtration, and media for pod growth.  I have hundreds of them.

They do consume nutrients, but not on the level that reefers probably would expect, like a macro algae perhaps. Like I said above, for me its purely growing them that I seek, for the look of filling my sump in nicely seeing as it's plumbed into the open. Thanks for letting me know they are available, I prefer local over Ebay, and I need to see BRK still out of all our vendors ;)

They do consume nutrients, but not on the level that reefers probably would expect, like a macro algae perhaps. Like I said above, for me its purely growing them that I seek, for the look of filling my sump in nicely seeing as it's plumbed into the open. Thanks for letting me know they are available, I prefer local over Ebay, and I need to see BRK still out of all our vendors ;)

They Do have some REALLY nice stuff, Amazing Livestock, and Very Helpful and Knowledgeable staff... :)

And Sorry when I said Fast Growers... :happy:   When compared to Corals Like SPS, or some other plants Such as the Bonsai :laugh:  .... Actually I think the Bonsai grows Quicker depending on how you trim it. :rolleyes: 

They Do have some REALLY nice stuff, Amazing Livestock, and Very Helpful and Knowledgeable staff... :)

And Sorry when I said Fast Growers... :happy:   When compared to Corals Like SPS, or some other plants Such as the Bonsai :laugh:  .... Actually I think the Bonsai grows Quicker depending on how you trim it. :rolleyes: 

Have you grown Bonsai or Mangroves or SPS?  Are you making this up as you go along?

Have you grown Bonsai or Mangroves or SPS? Are you making this up as you go along?

LOL....rob I think you know this answer ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Have you grown Bonsai or Mangroves or SPS?  Are you making this up as you go along?

Well, he does grow Bonsai and has done so for years.

And, in post 6, he said that he has worked a little (he actually said, "for a while") with mangroves (even suggested misting them with fresh water as Wade mentions below).

I've never done this, but I remember having many conversations in the past.  A couple of the things that jumped out at me are:

1) the need for intense light - and that light needs to both remain intense and SPREAD as the trees grow. I've never seen anyone without natural light or large halides get them past maybe 4-6 leaves.

2) you have to spritz or wash the leaves off with freshwater. One mechanism they use to handle the salt is to excrete it... rain naturally washes it off, but in a house, that won't happen. Keep the leaves clear of salt.

And, in post 6, he said that he has worked a little (he actually said, "for a while") with mangroves (even suggested misting them with fresh water as Wade mentions below).

hey....can you tell me the lottery numbers? How did you know wade was going to post that information and not show your post as edited?  Magic man.....

hey....can you tell me the lottery numbers? How did you know wade was going to post that information and not show your post as edited?  Magic man.....

Membership (Director) has its privileges....

(I sense now that you're going to ask me what you're thinking....)

You guys are making mangroves sound so difficult. Just stick them in the tank with a light over it.

Those mangroves I gave you grew fast and with literally 0 care and lights off for days/week at a time.

You guys are making mangroves sound so difficult. Just stick them in the tank with a light over it.

Those mangroves I gave you grew fast and with literally 0 care and lights off for days/week at a time.

+1

I have them under a simple flood light for about 8 hours. They have grown way past 6 leaves and in there since 2008. I even have branches.

lets see your mangrove setup.

lets see your mangrove setup.

30cfts0415_zpsad01953d.jpg

Only picture I could find. I think I had about 10 by the end, which I gave to Isaac.

Just looked at your profile and realized you're the rob everyone always says is .....

Edited by brad908

Lol..I always just say Rob is very opinionated, but then again we all have our own personal soap boxes,lol

I think mangroves will be as easy as any other houseplant, given the care and attention as any living thing deserves you can keep them alive and hopefully happy and healthy...

Brad- I wasn't asking for anything more than a picture of your mangroves.

Nice tile work behing the tank.

I'm the Rob who everyone might have differing opinions about, but I also can say with certainty that I have the experience to back up nearly everything I say.

Roozens hS  cool mangrove /Pond thing.. It used to have a shark in it, but I haven't been over there in a while.  They has pretty large mangroves.

Issac you should make the trip to roozens to see it, and if you've never been its worth going at least once.

Roozens hS  cool mangrove /Pond thing.. It used to have a shark in it, but I haven't been over there in a while.  They has pretty large mangroves.

Issac you should make the trip to roozens to see it, and if you've never been its worth going at least once.

Although they really need someone to proofread their website, I have been looking for a place like this up here. Thanks for posting this! 

Edited by Jason Rhoads