Help with skimmer purchase... need experienced insight.

pettyrd

I am sure this question has been asked many times before, but I need you folks to help me decide. I know lots of you have been in the hobby a lot longer than I have, and with that "time on the pond" you have learned what you like and what you don't like about items...  I need your experienced help placing an order.  I am looking to buy a new skimmer in the next day or two.  I am currently using my old SWC, which is actually doing a good job, but is old and unreliable.   I would like to run a new skimmer and have the SWC as an emergency backup.   I have a large area in the sump, so space isn't an issue... and my total water volume is about 220.  I would like to have a skimmer that could handle at least 300gal.  My max budget is about $800.      

What is the best skimmer I can get for my tank under $800?  

Wow $800 gives you tons of option check out some reviews on Reef Builders. The skimmer Monkiboy listed is a nice choice.

Is this one really worth the $?

Wow $800 gives you tons of option check out some reviews on Reef Builders. The skimmer Monkiboy listed is a nice choice.

I would like to spend much less... but I didn't want price to get in the way of quality. 

The only problem with the Red Dragon pumps is the price.  Once the pump is out of warranty and has to be replaced, the pump alone costs over $500 to replace. 

thats a pretty big problem...   wow.

I know opinions will vary but, I have a Reef Octopus on my system and love. works great and is super easy to adjust.

I would get an ASM G4X.  Do you have any size restrictions such as stand or sump clearance?

I have enough vertical clearance to house a skimmer that tall... but getting it into the sump is a different story.  My last skimmer was 28" tall with the swabbie attached ... and I had plenty of room to work... but I had to take it apart to get it in the sump. it doesn't look like that one comes appart.  not sure if it would fit.

What do you guys think about this one?

http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopus-SUPER-SRO-5000SSS-In-Sump-Protein-Skimmer-P2588.aspx

If you have time read this thread.  Go to the last several pages of this thread for latest skimmers recommendation.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589426

Hope it helps,

wow... a lot of good info in that thread... will be reading this for the next couple of hours... but DANG!!  those ppl gripe and argue a lot!!  I don't read many forums... but reading the stuff on reefcentral makes me appreciate you guys a heck of a lot more!!   Thanks WAMAS for being awesome.

I use an SWC and I love it, but it's not quite up for 220g.   I think it's max is probably a 200.  I've heard good things about the avast products and I would probably give them a serious look if I was in line for a new skimmer.  I think you would need the CS3. 

Also, there's this going on:  http://wamas.org/forums/topic/60173-avast-marine-quantum-reefs-build-party-social-booty-buy/

I use an SWC and I love it, but it's not quite up for 220g.   I think it's max is probably a 200.  I've heard good things about the avast products and I would probably give them a serious look if I was in line for a new skimmer.  I think you would need the CS3. 

Also, there's this going on:  http://wamas.org/forums/topic/60173-avast-marine-quantum-reefs-build-party-social-booty-buy/

I don't know much about the CS3, but I can tell you right now the CS1's that I run on both my tanks are pulling some serious gunk. I only have experience with one other skimmer (an Aqua Euro), but I am getting in on the avast powerbuy with a CS3 and a swabbie, and it will come out to $367.48, this is without the 2 psk-1000's. Throw a skimmate locker on there and you'll be golden.

I didn't have very good luck with the CS2 that I had for about a month.  I just sold it yesterday, and am a little apprehensive about jumping right back on the Avast bandwagon.  Does anyone have any experience with the CS3? 

I loved my sro5000 cone skimmer. Also love our old reef octopus 8" skimmer.

I am almost sold on the SRO 5000 sss.   Its small enough for my sump... and will handle way more than what my tank can throw at it.

I use 2 excellent skimmers on a weekly basis-

SRO 5000 INT on a 400. Works flawlessly and very easy to tune. Very reliable pump.

AVAST CS4 on a 500. Runs on 2) Sicce 1000's and a feed pump. Very dependable pumps.

For the budget you have, either of these 2 skimmers will beat the rest hands down in terms of reliability and ease of use.

I use 2 excellent skimmers on a weekly basis-

SRO 5000 INT on a 400. Works flawlessly and very easy to tune. Very reliable pump.

AVAST CS4 on a 500. Runs on 2) Sicce 1000's and a feed pump. Very dependable pumps.

For the budget you have, either of these 2 skimmers will beat the rest hands down in terms of reliability and ease of use.

Thanks for the post... I think I will go with the SRO 5000 SSS. Do you guys think the "SSS" version will work as well as your INT SROs'?

http://www.fragtasticreef.com/SRO-5000SSS-Super-Reef-Octopus-5000-Space-Saver-Skimmer-SRO-5000SSS.htm?categoryId=90

After speaking with Jeremy at Coralvue (reef octopus tech support) I decided to go with a smaller skimmer. The SRO 5000 was overkill for my 180gal, he said the SRO 3000int would be the perfect skimmer for my tank. So I called Chris at salty supply and bought it. I will have it before the weekend.

After speaking with Jeremy at Coralvue (reef octopus tech support) I decided to go with a smaller skimmer. The SRO 5000 was overkill for my 180gal, he said the SRO 3000int would be the perfect skimmer for my tank. So I called Chris at salty supply and bought it. I will have it before the weekend.

Post a picture of the goo when you get it!