Live rock question

Joshifer

I'm not doing anything I'm just asking. I googled first not getting any good answers.

I promise the will be my only post today lol.

Ok as you all know Im cycling a 30. My nano finished its mini cycle. I plan on adding all 12lbs from the nano to the 30 once the 30 is finished. My question is

Will putting the cycled live rock from one tank to another cause a mini cycle?

Nothing will die off (I think) since the SG and temp matches

I'm not doing anything I'm just asking. I googled first not getting any good answers.

I promise the will be my only post today lol.

Ok as you all know Im cycling a 30. My nano finished its mini cycle. I plan on adding all 12lbs from the nano to the 30 once the 30 is finished. My question is

Will putting the cycled live rock from one tank to another cause a mini cycle?

Nothing will die off (I think) since the SG and temp matches

The transfer of live rock will generally not cause a mini-cycle. It's possible that if you leave it out too long that things like sponges can have a problem because of contact with the air, but a quick transfer should be fine.

The transfer of live rock will generally not cause a mini-cycle. It's possible that if you leave it out too long that things like sponges can have a problem, but a quick transfer should be fine.

I love your quick and blunt answers :) thanks. Ya they won't be out of the water for more then a minute I'm literally gonna transfer piece by piece from one tank to another. And then the live sand with plastic cups.

I think that you'll be fine. You're water will be cloudy after the sand is transferred, but it'll settle.

Your first tank is kind of small so this may not be useful. But, when scooping sand out of one tank and into another container, I've found that if I cut a 1 quart or half-gallon milk container in such a manner as to make it a scoop, the flat bottom of the scoop reaches into the corners of the tank much easier with less sand left behind.

I think that you'll be fine. You're water will be cloudy after the sand is transferred, but it'll settle.

Your first tank is kind of small so this may not be useful. But, when scooping sand out of one tank and into another container, I've found that if I cut a 1 quart or half-gallon milk container in such a manner as to make it a scoop, the flat bottom of the scoop reaches into the corners of the tank much easier with less sand left behind.

Oh nice thanks

how can your nano have cycled already? it's been what, a week or two since being set up?

Natures ocean live water. Live sand. Live rock. And dr Tim's. I didn't think it cycled myself I took a water sample to LFS to check they said its cycled.

Yeah..it was pretty good when I was over there last week rob..but that is the tank that he got convinced to do a hurry on...he's waiting on the 30g to make sure that one is all good before moving anything...

Yeah..it was pretty good when I was over there last week rob..but that is the tank that he got convinced to do a hurry on...he's waiting on the 30g to make sure that one is all good before moving anything...

Yup yup :)

Hey josh, just curious are you counting petco as your LFS?

That's awesome small reef is able to help you out!

For salt mix and etc. maybe. Won't buy anything alive their fish look like they lived in a toilet

Live stock quantum reef.

Edited by Joshifer

Speaking of QR I want to still In Saturday for a tiny clown for the nano I want to introduce both into the 30 at the same time. So I don't have any territory issue. Or is it a bad idea two clowns In a 8 gallon

Edited by Joshifer

The 8 gallon is fine for the time being, just make sure to get one a good bit smaller than the one you have. Hopefully they will get along. 

I cant speak for him, but I think what Mattiejay was implying is that if you are taking water samples to Petco and relying on their advice of "congratulations you are now cycled" that you may be being misinformed.

Rob (zygote2k) was making a similar point that no matter what anyone is telling you by looking at a cup of water, you are not cycled in a week, even if you used products that make guarantees that this is what will happen. There are multiple threads going on here currently if you search on cycling where folks have been at it for many weeks, some of whom have used similar products. Nitrates appearing and ammonia leaving is only part of it.

Also, it would seem to be way more convenient to get some test kits. I used the Sea Chem saltwater Multitest which is really affordable, easy to use, and seemed to be pretty accurate. It would give you something to do while you are stuck there with two tanks that you are getting advice to just stare at and fill with distilled water from time to time as it evaporates.

I really enjoy testing, especially since Alan introduced me to aquaticlog.com :)

Hah, me too. I like seeing the points add up. Can see the pile of tests I did last night and all of the secrets I dont post in my build thread.

You can cycle in less than a week if you start with live rock and monitor your parameters, taking care to keep ammonia from getting too high. I did years ago when using TBS (Tampa Bay Saltwater) rock and following their directions.

You can cycle in less than a week if you start with live rock and monitor your parameters, taking care to keep ammonia from getting too high. I did years ago when using TBS (Tampa Bay Saltwater) rock and following their directions.

Isn't it ok for it to shoot really high since theirs no fish? Or are we worrying about hitch hikers dying

Isn't it ok for it to shoot really high since theirs no fish? Or are we worrying about hitch hikers dying

"OK" really depends. If you've got higher forms of life on the rock (like sponges, vermetid snails, etc.), then no. It can lead to a sort of spiral: High ammonia can kill off the complex life on the rock, which can lead to even higher ammonia. If you can keep the ammonia level from rising too much (say, less than 1 ppm), you can prevent this runaway ammonia problem.  However, if the rock is fully cured and is just populated with bacteria, then the elevated ammonia shouldn't be much of a problem (under normal circumstances) and should fuel bacterial growth.

I'm actually leaving til Saturday night. Emergency. I hope my clowns ok I put his flake food in a auto feeder. And did a water change before running out.

Fish, once stabilized can go for several days without feeding. You'll probably do fine. But, if you can, give them an extra feeding or two if possible before you leave. Have you tested the autofeeder to make sure that it 1) works and 2) doesn't overdose the food?

Hope all goes well.

Fish, once stabilized can go for several days without feeding. You'll probably do fine. But, if you can, give them an extra feeding or two if possible before you leave. Have you tested the autofeeder to make sure that it 1) works and 2) doesn't overdose the food?

Hope all goes well.

I gave him a whole cube of frozen brine (defrosted in glass of tank water) he went nuts over it lol. And I yes it's a complex one from my FW days. It realizes a pinch a day. Lets hope for the best. I'm actually on my way to NYC right now. Last minute emergency. Hopefully I can get away sooner. As a Christian brother please pray for my family. God knows the situation :) god bless.

I also dosed with amquel plus before walking out. Just to be safe. I really hope I don't go home to a disaster.

Edited by Joshifer

I would ask Kim or Steve to check in on him but I have a huge dog. I don't want him biting them thinking their intruders. He has a doggy door and I put dishes of water and food in different places of the house. He should be okay holding the fort lol.

Maybe I should've kept him in the upper part of my house and leave my back door open in case I get tied longer then Saturday. Could've had one of the locals check on him. I really adore him don't want him getting sick. He was my bday gift.

Edited by Joshifer

The 8 gallon is fine for the time being, just make sure to get one a good bit smaller than the one you have. Hopefully they will get along.

I won't be able to buy one til Monday. Or forget that. Once the 30 is finished it's cycle I'll buy one smaller then him then put them both in.

A few people on here said its ok to get a hippo tang. How long after placing the 2 clowns can I get a tiny hippo. Around march im going huge with my tax rebate hehe. I'd love a 200 gallon maybe I can get one of the guys to build me one. And thanks for your info. :)

I can't wait for a huge one. I want triggers. And tangs. And maybe a moorish idol. And more nemos. And some bi color angels. Maybe I can do a sting ray I loooovveedddd the one at quantum reefs so graceful. But I think those need over 300 gals

Or I can get a bamboo shark and keep him solo. My mind is racing with ideas. I love planning ahead

Edited by Joshifer