Memoirs of a fishtank

Joshifer

Figured I'd start a thread to keep track of my progress. Not sure where this can go if its in the wrong area please move ^_^

So... I put all the fishies in the hospital tank for ich. Gonna cure them before I give them away I don't

Want them infecting anyone's tank. Or I may turn the hospital tank into a display and keep my gouramis ill see. I preserved all my BBs in case I keep.

Day 1 emptied 30 gal and letting it sit over night outside in tap to kill any bacteria/germs.

(Would like to know if I should add bleach to kill any ich I can't see or will salt mix kill them once I start?)

Going to buy 30lbs of topfin oolite white sand tomorrow. Petsmart has it for $17.

Gonna try to put substate down. And fill about 25Gs with RO water which will take many trips to walmart. Can I fill with tap + prime? Or any dechlorinater ?. While I wait for live rock and SmallReefs water change water. Should I add salt mix or wait til I get live rock? Not sure when I'm getting it. Hopefully by Monday then the cycle can begin then.

Edited by Joshifer

Just got an email dr Tim's bact will be here tomorrow. I didn't even choose speedy delivery. Wow deffinatly advise people ordering from

petFood.com that was a little too quick I don't even need it yet.

Deffinatly gonna use it on the dry rock and sand.

Before I get flamed lol. I am NOT shooting for a Week cycle. Just clarifying that.

How long after the cycle completes do I send in a clean up crew? I really like the hermits shout out to quantum reefs. Vince & Steve love your hermits and their so cheap Im deffinatly gonna get more they did an amazing job over night in my nano. Every dead critter that was stuck in the rocks are gone. I had alot of dead feather dusters sticking out of their tubes their all gone now. The snail never moves from one rock. I'd rather clean algae off the glass myself with magnets. I like the little cerith ones that dig want more of those too. Ps gonna send alot of people to your shop I get alot of company at the house and everyone always asks where I shop. I'm gonna tell them QR hehe and more clown fish. Nemo needs a wife. Or a husband whatever floats his boat.

Edited by Joshifer

Never want to use tap water..causes huge problems..unless u have a r.o.unit...tap will cause algae blooms,diatom blooms and throw ur parameters all out of wack..not worth the trouble..8)

I had a reef for 6 years using my well water.  Was it the best, no.  Would I do it again, probably not.  If your going FOWLR then I see no harm in it.  Just make sure you use dechlorinator if you have city water.

Freshwater ich will die in saltwater, I asked one of our vendors once about that as I was getting ready to set up a tank that had been stored outside and was told there is no need to sanitize the tank, just get the saltwater in it and get it cycling.

Edited by Kevin Garrison

I would just go to a LFS for water to be honest. I used the fill it up yourself drinking RO water at stores and it was crap. Bring a portable TDS with you and see for yourself. Plus it is only RO not RODI water. LFS will more than likely have way better water quality. It is easier to get it done right the first time. Just my 2 cents

If your ever around Warrenton, I have a bag of Natutre's ocean #1 white sand (nice stuff) with your name on it.. Consider it a welcome to the club gift!

If your ever around Warrenton, I have a bag of Natutre's ocean #1 white sand (nice stuff) with your name on it.. Consider it a welcome to the club gift!

Oh wow I wish I read this an hour ago I just bought 40lbs of white argonite. Thanks tho I appreciate the gesture.

And don't roll out the carpet just yet. I was given a complimentary week. I am joining however once I get some bills and stuff out of the way ^^

Oh wow I wish I read this an hour ago I just bought 40lbs of white argonite. Thanks tho I appreciate the gesture.

And don't roll out the carpet just yet. I was given a complimentary week. I am joining however once I get some bills and stuff out of the way ^^

No Worries, What grain is it? Make sure it's fine enough for a sifter should  you ever choose to have one.  

Edited by rebekwl

No Worries, What grain is it? Make sure it's fine enough for a sifter should you ever choose to have one.

It's like powder. If youve ever been to clear water beach florida its exactly like that sand. I lowered it in a bowl like I always do and it still made a sand storm after washing it for 20+ mins. So now I have a big tank of coconut milk lol Edited by Joshifer

Day 2. Left the tank over night in tap. Then emptied it and let the sun dry it for 6+ hours

Bought 40lbs of oolite white argonite sand. Washed it put it in. Filled tank 80% with RO.

Got a message about my trade ad. Brang home 40 some odd lbs of LR. And 10 gallons of salted RO.

(And gonna get a skimmer from him next week. Thanks cliffsong for helping a newbie out)

Fixed my SG to 1.025 stabilized temp and put rock In. Didn't scape yet have a sand storm waiting for it to settle then dr Tim's is going in whenever that is. My cycle began sept 6 about 10PM.

As for life discovered. I can't see into the tank but theirs brittle stars and Astrea stars on the glass moving around. The brittle star scared me at first I thought a camel cricket got into the tank lol. Then it vanished.

Edited by Joshifer

• 2 weeks later...

All my coral were gifts from Kim. Isaac. And Vince. The Kenya's were tormenting the gsp so I banished them to the corner. Lol

The plate one Isaac gave me I have no idea what it is. Gsp closed because of kenya. Hopefully it'll open again soon.

I didn't have a frag disc and it was blowing everywhere to I glued it to that skeleton. Is it hanging off the sides like that bad ?

Nemo looks happy. But she's a girl now. She needs a new name.

"New" nemo looks happy. Eating. No fights. They never separate.

I completely forgot about the clown goby from Kim. He's doing good too. Comes out to eat and hides. At night he's all over the place.

Here's some pics.

2984d412bb1e31165d348d6b0bee2709_zps9a29

93369e83f7db83915aa815c3d41f07d0_zps6e25

df06af2a9cbeefcb6f4133a36dfcd866_zps9847

a9557bf2b9ddb72441ce6e8426f15f9a_zps3c91

fc2630aac756e039330b1459a9ecbd38_zps0f74

317f3bcad3b6fb6cb77f872fa404d58a_zps3b51

Edited by Joshifer

The "plate" that Isaac gave you looks like an orange plating Montipora.

Are those the ones that start to look like a vase? Kinda twirling around? I need to lookup their requirements. I think it's happy where it's at because it was flat now it's starting to curl upward.

Are those the ones that start to look like a vase? Kinda twirling around? I need to lookup their requirements. I think it's happy where it's at because it was flat now it's starting to curl upward.

Yes. They can take that form. The frag that you have looks to be that type. There's another form that branches and another that mostly encrust, but the one you have looks to me like it's a fairly common and fast growing orange Montipora.

Sent from my phone