Dr Tim's one and only and stocking options

Joshifer

I wasn't sure where to post this if its in the wrong place I apologize.

Anyway after a few months of reading reviews and debating. I ordered dr Tim's one and only bacteria (original bio spira before he left the company or whatever) supposedly it's shipped in a cold pack.

I saw nothing but good reviews. Anyone here ever use it ?

Alot of the reviews say things like "poured it in put a shrimp in a stocking and left alone for 3 days and I'm cycled" I mean it's worth a shot I got it for $11 bucks. Dr Tim's + live rock + live sand + smallreefs water and borrowed rock I think it's possible for nemo and the cuc to go in after a week. Or so.

What are my fish stocking options for a 30 bow? I already have one tiny oscerillis clown. And 5 tiny blue leg hermits. 2 snails (the tiny ones that burrow forget the name) and one Astrea snail.

I like damsels with the yellow tails their pretty but I heard their little devils. But I'd make lots and lots of caves with my scape. Of course I ain't adding other fish for a while til it's stable. Nemo and the cuc will be alone in there for a while. I might get him another tiny clown while he's small so they can pair up within a week or two.

i've had great success with it. normally fully cycled within two weeks with all dry rock and sand in a few tanks.

here's a helpful video:

Great video thanks. So 2 weeks for you. I'm using live stuff so I can do it in a few days.

I used it on the last tank I set up (180g) and highly recommend. But your tank is cycled when its cycles...you won't know how long until you continue to test and even when you think it is dine still have it a few more days and test again to be sure

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

It sounds like you are really trying to rush things and get everything done overnight. You need to step back a bit and realize in this hobby nothing good happens overnight.

Yeah I'm with MBVette....

I like dr.tims and will use it on my build....but still wait atleast 2weeks before moving your fish and snails over...just to be safe...

I'm going to wait probably a month..just to be sure...since I have corals...

I use microbacter 7 and some liverock from a buddies tank.  Still plan on waiting at least a month starting predominately with dry rock before stocking anything.  Ghost feeding helps as well (very small amounts).

I used Dr Tims. Not sure if it worked or not. I had high nitrite for about two weeks before it started dropping. Took a month before it was all through and up to the point where it could handle 4ppm of ammonia per day.

I am waiting another couple of months while adding as much microfauna I can get my hands on before putting in fish I have to feed. I will probably be visiting Marine Scene in Herndon to get some sand from them because they apparently have a bin that they constantly add live Florida stuff from the gulf into.

It sounds like you are really trying to rush things and get everything done overnight. You need to step back a bit and realize in this hobby nothing good happens overnight.

+1

You don't need it. If you want to speed things up, add fully cured live rock. Usually, nothing good comes from doing things fast in this hobby.

Edited by howaboutme

Oh it's not that I'm in a rush. Just trying to give myself a time frame if using live stuff and dr Tim's. the nano yes I agree went up too fast but I didn't know better. I was miss guided lol

I'm using live stuff so I can do it in a few days.

I might get him another tiny clown while he's small so they can pair up within a week or two.

Oh it's not that I'm in a rush. Just trying to give myself a time frame if using live stuff and dr Tim's. the nano yes I agree went up too fast but I didn't know better. I was miss guided lol

Seems like a little bit of a rush to me. Also, you're making a lot of assumptions about how quickly you're going to be able to cycle your tank, and how things will take place in your aquarium. Do you have any test kits yet? I know it's exciting, trust me, I really do, but you need to keep reading and learning the why behind a cycle, not just the how. Read everything you can, ask questions, and if Rob (Zygote2k) hasn't told you this already, find a good book about reefing, and read it!

Also note, that everybody who said they used Dr. Tims on this thread waited at least a month, or planned on waiting at least a month.

That being said, I have never used Dr. Tims, but would be willing to try it, and have only heard good things about it.

Seems like a little bit of a rush to me. Also, you're making a lot of assumptions about how quickly you're going to be able to cycle your tank, and how things will take place in your aquarium. Do you have any test kits yet? I know it's exciting, trust me, I really do, but you need to keep reading and learning the why behind a cycle, not just the how. Read everything you can, ask questions, and if Rob (Zygote2k) hasn't told you this already, find a good book about reefing, and read it!

Also note, that everybody who said they used Dr. Tims on this thread waited at least a month, or planned on waiting at least a month.

That being said, I have never used Dr. Tims, but would be willing to try it, and have only heard good things about it.

+1

Oh, and to not leave your hanging, here is a list of WAMAS recomended reads.

I have started reading The Coral Reef Aquarium From Inception To Completion by Tony Vargas, and I wish I had read something like this before diving into this hobby.

I will probably be visiting Marine Scene in Herndon to get some sand from them because they apparently have a bin that they constantly add live Florida stuff from the gulf into.

Great sand.  I actually just got some yesterday ($3.99/lb) to put in my Pico.  I prefer fresh rather than what's been in someone else's tank if given the choice.

Get some live rock/sand.  You can use base rock and dry aragonite sand too.  Make sure the rock is nice and porous, fresh, and if you are lucky, has a little color.  I've never had a need to use Dr. Tim's or anything else to cycle.  If you have trouble, you can always add it later but honestly, you are making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Test your water and be patient.  I don't test every day during cycling.  You can run your lights or not.  Skimming isn't necessary yet.  Don't do super frequent water changes.  And wait.  Be excited about the day everything comes to life.  When you see your tank all of the sudden explode with pods you know you are almost there.  The tank will tell you when it's time.  (But keep testing.)  Then add to the bioload slowly - don't move Nemo in yet.  Don't add any cleanup crew that you don't need too soon.  It's cruel and they will be starving.