Need a fish sitter

Joshifer

Wow, that fish is very lucky that smallreef stopped over.

Joshifer - you need to get the right test kits, keep doing the water changes until everything is right, don't add anything else to the tank for awhile, read up and ask questions, and add smallreef to your Christmas card list.

Just for future reference about Seachem Prime and how it appears to give a false reading from certain ammonia test kits. From their website FAQ:

Q: I am using Prime® to control ammonia but my test kit says it is not doing anything, in fact it looks like it added ammonia! What is going on?

A: A Nessler based kit will not read ammonia properly if you are using Prime®... it will look "off scale", sort of a muddy brown (incidentally a Nessler kit will not work with any other products similar to Prime®). A salicylate based kit can be used, but with caution. Under the conditions of a salicylate kit the ammonia-Prime complex will be broken down eventually giving a false reading of ammonia (same as with other products like Prime®), so the key with a salicylate kit is to take the reading right away. However, the best solution ;-) is to use our MultiTest: Ammonia™ kit... it uses a gas exchange sensor system which is not affected by the presence of Prime® or other similar products. It also has the added advantage that it can detect the more dangerous free ammonia and distinguish it from total ammonia (which is both the free and ionized forms of ammonia (the ionized form is not toxic)).

A shout-out to smallreef for going out of the way to help a fellow hobbyist! Another to QR for offering a little personalized attention and in-store education.

+1

WAMAS pulling through. 

Wow, that fish is very lucky that smallreef stopped over.

Joshifer - you need to get the right test kits, keep doing the water changes until everything is right, don't add anything else to the tank for awhile, read up and ask questions, and add smallreef to your Christmas card list.

Yeah I went by LFS interest in money. I'm gonna keep up with everything. And yes SmallReef came to the rescue.

Prime shouldn't raise your ammonia, but could interfere with Nessler-reagent ammonia test kits (the majority of them) giving a false reading. The test result can actually look worse.

How's your fish doing?

A shout-out to smallreef for going out of the way to help a fellow hobbyist! Another to QR for offering a little personalized attention and in-store education.

He's doing great he's all over the place poking into stuff moving small shells and sand. Maybe he thinks he's gonna mate?

Yes, agree with smallreef and everyone. I was just letting the op know that he's using the wrong test kit (at least the color chart). If you hold both the freshwater and saltwater charts together they are not the same....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Yes, agree with smallreef and everyone. I was just letting the op know that he's using the wrong test kit (at least the color chart). If you hold both the freshwater and saltwater charts together they are not the same.... Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Could I just find a color chart online? But doesn't matter going tomorrow to get salt test kit

In case you don't know. If you do have an ammonia issue and you need to dose Prime or similar product, the binding ability wears out in about 24 to 48 hours so you have to keep dosing it. It isn't a one time thing and you are done. Some people think it is and then get a surprise when the tank dies from high ammonia.