Nori

YHSublime

All the tangs I have had love Julian Springs nori (green kind.) I'm finally done with the pack, my baby hippo has been enjoying it, as well as most of the other algae growing around the tank. It even ate at the caulerpa that I couldn't find a tang to look at.

I'm all out of my Julian Springs nori now, and I've heard that quite a few folk pick up nori from their local chinese super markets? Just wanted to check on this... as I'm sure it's priced a little better. OK, a LOT better.

I've also recently seen some threads with folks that soak their nori in fish oil before they feed? Somebody enlighten me?

I got mine from local Korean market. Chinese and Korean brand $. Japanese brand $$. Same stuff use for sushi rolls. Just make sure you don't get the seasoned ones. I cut them into small pieces and feed and do not soak in oil.

Good question Ill check the one i go to in Wheaton. May take me a week or so to find time to get in there.

Lotte in Germantown. No need to go all the way to Wheaton. ;)

How did I know you would know chuck lol. I'm going to check it out. May take me an hour to find it do I just ask for nori algae? Or does it carry a fancy name like sea lettuce when it is used in people food?

it lasts forever. look for the ones that are unseasoned and dried.

its been a while since i last fed the tangs nori. i would soak it with garlic extract. i read garlic prevents ick on tangs and the tangs like it more with the garlic.

How did I know you would know chuck lol. I'm going to check it out. May take me an hour to find it do I just ask for nori algae? Or does it carry a fancy name like sea lettuce when it is used in people food?

No fancy name. Nori, sushi nori or toasted seaweed.

any dried nori will work. garlic is unproven in humans and it's unproven in non-humans too. snake oil.

FWIW, most fish that eat nori will eat other greens. MyTwo-barred Rabbitfish would eat mint leaves and spinach.

Does toasted vs untoasted make a difference as long as it's not flavored?

Lol! I meant "roasted". I think either roasted or dried make no different as far as feeding to the fish. The Dried seaweed we use at home are very tough and will need to be soak. I have never feed them dried seweed so not too familiar.

Thanks for all the help!

Rob, do you know of any greens that are not beneficial? For example, When I kept turtles, feeding iceberg lettuce was of almost no nutritional value. Maybe that was a unbunked myth, but does anything like that apply to tangs, that you know of?

Does toasted vs untoasted make a difference as long as it's not flavored?

I prefer toasted, I would hope my tangs will also!

My tangs wont touch anything not warmed up in the toaster oven. They also love fresh uncooked spinach and its supposed to have a lot of vitamin C and other good stuff. controversial though bc its not a natual food. They dont seem to mind.

I get mine from the local GrandMart. It's in a large package, says Yamamotoyama SushiNori. Not all nori is the same, some have sugars, seasoning, and even canola oil. The small sheet types are normally the ones with the added flavors since they are used to snack with. Get the larger sheets that are used to roll sushi. Check the ingredients and make sure it only says "seaweed".  

Also, there is a color or grade system to nori so that can be confusing for some. Gold (A grade), Silver (B grade), Yellow (C grade), Green (D grade), Red (E grade). The grades mainly are for people and don't matter to fish. They grades are factors of taste, color, and softness or ease of rolling. The Gold is softer and has a better taste while the lower grades step down to harder and lighter in color. I feed the green package myself. Once it hits the water is softens up quickly and the darker colored nori seems to tint the tank water slightly green, more than the lighter colors. I feed two full sheets a day. 

Also, there is a color or grade system to nori so that can be confusing for some. Gold (A grade), Silver (B grade), Yellow (C grade), Green (D grade), Red (E grade). The grades mainly are for people and don't matter to fish. They grades are factors of taste, color, and softness or ease of rolling. The Gold is softer and has a better taste while the lower grades step down to harder and lighter in color. I feed the green package myself. Once it hits the water is softens up quickly and the darker colored nori seems to tint the tank water slightly green, more than the lighter colors. I feed two full sheets a day. 

Great info, thanks! I was only feeding about half a sheet every two days, and whatever my tang didn't get, the turbos finished off quickly. I like to feed, so I'll probably offer as much as what can get eaten once I get fully stocked.

I got mine from http://www.noridirect.com/  - the Grade B /Silver case - 1,000 full sheets = $12.60 per 100 pack (including shipping).  Tangs, angels, wrasse, blennies all go nuts for it.  Does not impact skimmer performance.  Leishman posted this company many years ago.

Wow! That's cheap. Are you sure? 1000 regular sheets for $12.60 . I am going to double check.

Wow! That's cheap. Are you sure? 1000 regular sheets for $12.60 . I am going to double check.

Sorry missed read your post. 12.60 per pack of 100 sheets if purchase a whole case.

o you know of any greens that are not beneficial? For example, When I kept turtles, feeding iceberg lettuce was of almost no nutritional value. Maybe that was a unbunked myth, but does anything like that apply to tangs, that you know of?  

As in most things, if you feed exclusively freshwater/terrestrial items to marine animals, there are going to be some missing nitritive items - for example, the balance of omega fatty acids is very different.  Otherwise, supplementing or feeding interspersed items like various lettuces or other greens will not have any effect (same with feeding fish to fish) - just don't do it exclusively.

I got mine from http://www.noridirect.com/  - the Grade B /Silver case - 1,000 full sheets = $12.60 per 100 pack (including shipping).  Tangs, angels, wrasse, idol, blennies all go nuts for it.  Does not impact skimmer performance.  Leishman posted this company many years ago. 

I don't need 10 packs of 100 sheets of nori at this stage in my life, but that looks like a pretty nice deal. If I could find a few other locals to me to try it, I could place an order.

I got mine from http://www.noridirect.com/  - the Grade B /Silver case - 1,000 full sheets = $12.60 per 100 pack (including shipping).  Tangs, angels, wrasse, idol, blennies all go nuts for it.  Does not impact skimmer performance.  Leishman posted this company many years ago. 

I would be interested if you can get others....

Lol! I meant "roasted". I think either roasted or dried make no different as far as feeding to the fish. The Dried seaweed we use at home are very tough and will need to be soak. I have never feed them dried seweed so not too familiar.

No need to soak......place a couple of slices of white bread in bag and it will soften up and remain that way.