fed up with Apex

zygote2k

We have a number of Apex controllers on various service tanks. All of them were set up by clients and whenever they have issues it's always such a hassle to do any programming over the net.

I'm also of the opinion that the more you want to control an already controlled device, the more headaches will result.

I really like the simplicity of the older AC3's and am actually in the process of retrofitting some of these tanks with old skool controllers.

Easy to figure out without a book or a computer.

Like you, I've used both. There's something to be said about the simplicity of the AC-III. To start, I was used to it, so there was no learning curve. But, there were some features (finer timing resolution and some new commands that don't exist on the AC-III) on the Apex. So, after a couple of years of not upgrading, I finally did. Still, I sometimes have to go back to the manual to figure out a way to implement some advanced command when I don't want to use their pre-programmed profile. But, for me, it's only one tank's worth of work. I can see how, if you had to maintain as many as you do, it's a pain to have to keep going back to the manual.

One could argue that if you have a bunch to maintain, it should get easier as you learn what to do and don't needthe book. I find it hardet to manage something I only touch once a year vs. something I touch all the time...

I've got an ac3, wanna trade? Ill deal with the headache so you don't have to.

haha, I sent him a pm saying basically the same thing. i've been pretty happy with my ac3 though...maybe I shouldn't want to 'upgrade'

I'm a big fan of my AC3 Pro, so easy to program (even on my phone).

The Apex can be programmed from the phone, too. (At least on Android, it can.) Their widget can open a control page that looks a lot like the web interface allowing you to call up the pre-programmed profiles or to use custom code (similar to the old AC3's style of code, but with a few more commands).

One of these new commands is "Defer," I believe. I use it to defer my skimmer pumps from starting after a power cycle or feed cycle until 5 minutes have passed. This allows the water level in the sump to equalize. Since my skimmer is now recirculating, this is less important than when it was not. In this older case, without the Defer command, the skimmer would pretty much start up on power up and risk overflowing the collection cup because the water was so high in the sump.

One of these new commands is "Defer," I believe. I use it to defer my skimmer pumps from starting after a power cycle or feed cycle until 5 minutes have passed. This allows the water level in the sump to equalize. Since my skimmer is now recirculating, this is less important than when it was not. In this older case, without the Defer command, the skimmer would pretty much start up on power up and risk overflowing the collection cup because the water was so high in the sump.

That type of delay can also be done with an ACIII by the following statement:

If Time > 05:00 Then SKM ON

So after the clock starts either from a feed cycle or power outage it will wait five minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an apex but its all about the $$$.

To replace the defer command (because I'm rockin old skool), I use a switch (2 actually) in the sump and say if SW3 closed then SKM off, If SKM off Then ALM ON (in case the switch were to fail).

Saying it was great to be able to program from my phone, was just to point out that even though its older technology it still has some newer style features. I just wish it would text me :(

They just need to come out with a new Apex so I can afford the current model.

That type of delay can also be done with an ACIII by the following statement:

If Time > 05:00 Then SKM ON

So after the clock starts either from a feed cycle or power outage it will wait five minutes.

Whaaaat? That I did not know. I thought the "If Time > 05:00" related to 5AM

One could argue that if you have a bunch to maintain, it should get easier as you learn what to do and don't needthe book. I find it hardet to manage something I only touch once a year vs. something I touch all the time...

Does anyone else find this funny?

Saying it was great to be able to program from my phone, was just to point out that even though its older technology it still has some newer style features. I just wish it would text me :(

It will. Mine did. There's an alternate email that you can send alarms to. Set it up with your text forwarding email from your cell service provider. You can look this up on the web. For example, my cell service provider is Verizon. The email forwarder for text messages can be reached at 7035551212@vtext.com. It's as easy as that. The only issue is that the text message may be truncated to 160 characters.

Whaaaat? That I did not know. I thought the "If Time > 05:00" related to 5AM

That's what I thought to - even after owning an AC3 for several years.

No battery back is needed for those lines since they work only when the power is on. But you would need the battery if you want it to send you an alarm when the power goes out.

Sorry, copied the wrong line. :rolleyes:

If FeedA 005 Then SKM OFF

if Power 005 The SKM OFF

Ah, I do remember those now that you mention it. Rob was asking about this a few years ago with his skimmer's blowing over on startup, and you may have been the one to help him with that. Very good. Can you use the same construct on virtual outlets on the AC3? Or with external switches / sensors?

The only reason it might not is if it's specific to certain hard coded functions like FeedA, FeedB, Power, etc. It could be a pretty powerful construct if it were more general as you could use it to sequence through a complex set of steps after an asynchronous event. For example, you could program a sequence of pumps and valves to execute a water change for you whenever, for example, you selected FeedB.

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have problems with feed buttons? I've resorted to setting all four the same, so if the feed button is pushed it triggers feed mode the same way. I always had my wife bugging out because it would randomly set to feed b,c or d instead of a, even though she hit the button once. I can also confirm this, as often I would hit the button, only for nothing to happen.

Used to have a separate setting for corals and fish, but its not worth trying to set with a push of a button on the control pad.

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have problems with feed buttons? I've resorted to setting all four the same, so if the feed button is pushed it triggers feed mode the same way. I always had my wife bugging out because it would randomly set to feed b,c or d instead of a, even though she hit the button once. I can also confirm this, as often I would hit the button, only for nothing to happen.

Used to have a separate setting for corals and fish, but its not worth trying to set with a push of a button on the control pad.

On the Apex? I have to tap it somewhat quickly. Otherwise, if you're too heavy-handed on the button, it's easy to get a double tap.