I think its time for me to get out for a bit

Mountaineer

Came home to a flood and small electrical fire this evening.  I have been unable to care for this tank like I used to and I think this is a sign that it is time to part ways for now.

I'm going to be looking to sale a 265 gallon with custom stand, canopy, custom sump, metal halide lighting, Bubble King 250 skimmer, Vortech pumps and more.  I am venting the house and drying the floor now trying to figure out how to best deal with this mess.  Nothing like a late night welcome when you thought you were coming home to rest.

The sump is in the basement and requires a strong pump.  The balance between flow from upstairs to down would get out of balance if a power outage and then return of power.  This was usually due to the skimmer going crazy with the extra water in the sump.

I think the balance was off and then water overflowed the tank upstairs and the ATO added too much water as well.  With 265 gallons the freshwater change did not impact the fish and corals but I have a mess to clean.  

Beautiful tank for anyone looking to upgrade.  I will be parting with everything I have.

Sorry to hear about what happened!!! Are you going to try and sell this as a whole or part it out? I think you should part it all out and attempt to get some money back.. let me know, i am always in the market for new gear. 

Where did the electrical fire take place? hope you didnt destroy/damage too much of your house!

Edited by Mattiejay6

Damage was minor.  Just melted some electrical.  Took a while to find where the smell was coming from.  I dont have time to list it all to part it out right now, but if anyone is looking for an upgrade to a nice 265 gallon tank it will be a good deal.  I have to get the livestock moved as soon as I can

Minus the fire, I have been here twice with my old 150g, I am very sorry you had to experience this.  I would suggest taking a day or two to think about it before you actually start selling off.  Your reasoning is sound of why you are looking to do it, but I know when I lost everything over a 3 day trip to NJ I just turned the lights off for 6 weeks and let the tank run with carbon on it.

It was because of the several WAMAS members telling me not to make any quick decisions that I still have a tank.  My instant reaction was to tear it all down and get out, but I would have just wound up back in and would have had to rebuy everything.  Taking a break can be a good thing, when I finally turned the lights back on... where there wasn't hair algae you couldn't look 1/4" without seeing masses of pods.

If there is anything I can do to help, please ask.

I'm sorry to hear the bad news but glad you came home and caught it when you did or it could have been worse. I agree with Kevin, just take some time before deciding to break it down. Is there any way you can add some float switches on the tank or sump to prevent overflows? I have a time delay on the skimmer so it stays off a few mintues to allow the sump level to go down, prevents overflows.

Sorry to hear. I think everyone have had flooded of somekind with this hobby. I personally had a few flood and possibly more down the road. Good luck either way you chose to take.

Edited by flooddc

Sorry to hear that.. My 55 has been through about 4 people, including me. I've always had this thought about that happening while I am away... Glad to hear you caught it in time... Imagine if you didn't find it till the next day when It was too late. Glad to hear you and all is alright tho'.

The tank has been emptied of livestock and I will reply to PMs as soon as I can now that the initial crisis is over. I still have the basement to clean. I know several have expressed interest in this set up so please know I will respond probably later this evening to everyone.

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I'm looking to sell everything at once as a package.  I will give it a few days here before I post elsewhere.

Here is what I have:

265 gallon tank

Custom stand and canopy  (Cost over $2000 and is solid oak.  Very nice furniture quality)
3 x250 watt ice cap mh ballasts 
2 x luminarc mini stealth mh pendant 
1 x lumenmax 3 MH pendant 
2 x 36" reef brite led aqua light.  One power supply will need replaced 
Bubble king 250 skimmer
Hammerhead return pump
Dart return pump
Tunze water level controller
Pinpoint pH monitor (needs new probe)
Bubble Magnus 3 part dosing pump
Containers for dosing pump

Lots of little things including the rock arch and plenty of rock.

2 vortech pumps I will include but I haven't checked to see if one of them still works.   I think it's ok but I can't be sure.  It might have gotten wet but I can check on it. 

$3500 OBO  I need to see it move soon.

I forgot to mention I found the cause.  A 2 inch return line became unglued and was shooting water out like a firehose.  I actually flooded twice when I didn't know the cause and I inadvertently turned back on the return pump.   :cry:

I forgot to mention I found the cause.  A 2 inch return line became unglued and was shooting water out like a firehose.  I actually flooded twice when I didn't know the cause and I inadvertently turned back on the return pump.   :cry:

Was it a regular PVC fitting or flex PVC?