Dosing pumps?

corsi1330

I am planning on taking one of my tanks off my main sump/system and creating a true QT tank for SPS. I have always run a calcium reactor but do not want to run another one for this system. Just looking for input or advise on running 2 part and preferred equipment?

Profilux is the way to go. Aquacave.com. The three headed unit is perfect.

I like it but is pricey. Have you heard anything about the Bubble magus that BRS sells?

If you already have a controller, the BRS dosers are simpe and cheap.

I do have a controller (reef keeper elite). I assume these just run continuos?

I like it but is pricey. Have you heard anything about the Bubble magus that BRS sells?

I do have a controller (reef keeper elite). I assume these just run continuos?

i have two buddies that have the bubble magus and i asked them and they both said it's operated well without issue and it's really straight forward programming but the buttons can be hard to push apparently.  the BRS dosers are usually set on timers and you dial in using the BRS calculator and then fine tune by adding or subtracting how much time they run for continuously.

If you have a controller with two extra plugs, it would make sense to just plug in two BRS dosers and have at it.

Like Steve says, there are some excellent stand alone dosing systems out there, but if you have a controller you already have paid for half of the package. By using simple dosers plugged into your controller, you can do thing like turn off the Alk if pH gets too high, or only dose if the lights are out.

Lots of flexibility for not so much money.

Edited by OldReefer

I have one similar to the brs and it works perfectly

Thanks sounds like the way to go.

Spectrapure Liter meter: not cheap but reliably flawless reliability.

I looked at this but added up the cost and just not an option. If I hit the powerball on Wed! Lol

If you have a controller with two extra plugs, it would make sense to just plug in two BRS dosers and have at it.

Like Steve says, there are some excellent stand alone dosing systems out there, but if you have a controller you already have paid for half of the package. By using simple dosers plugged into your controller, you can do thing like turn off the Alk if pH gets too high, or only dose if the lights are out.

Lots of flexibility for not so much money.

You make good sense. Just hope it is not rocket science to dial it in. Thanks!

Hey Brian if you order the bulk reef supply pumps let me know and I'll order one of the 50mL/minute for vinegar and we can get free shipping.  I'll come over and pick it up and help you get them dialed in.  I know how to do it for Apex but the RKE can't be that different.

I had a Chinese one called "Marine Color" brand and it worked great when I used to dose 3-part.  It was 3 pumps for $150 with a built in controller from ebay.  You could enter the amount per day and what times to dose between.  I sprayed water on it by mistake and fried something inside.

Hey Brian if you order the bulk reef supply pumps let me know and I'll order one of the 50mL/minute for vinegar and we can get free shipping.  I'll come over and pick it up and help you get them dialed in.  I know how to do it for Apex but the RKE can't be that different.

I had a Chinese one called "Marine Color" brand and it worked great when I used to dose 3-part.  It was 3 pumps for $150 with a built in controller from ebay.  You could enter the amount per day and what times to dose between.  I sprayed water on it by mistake and fried something inside.

Yeah, sounds good. I will pm you.

I have a cheap 3 head dosing pump called marine color.. Its almost like the Bubble Magus one.. So far no issues with it.

The BRS pumps are nice in that you can dial in the dosing to be heavier at night time.  For instance if you are doing 20ml a day, you could do 5ml during daylight then bump it up at night for the other 15.

This helps keep PH up at nightime.

The dosers with built in timers have option for total dose per day and # of doses.  This results in doses being evenly distributed, and there is no way to change that.  It might not matter much, but I liked dosing heavier at nighttime.

I plan to dose evenly on my new tank with one of the prebuilt units like profilux or bubble magus, and keep PH boosted by running chaeto on a reverse light cycle.

Just something to consider.  Either way is 1000x better than dosing by hand.

I use bubble magus, works perfect for me and very simple to use