thank you

Huly

(edited)

I got allot of good idea's , about next year, Since I was behind the table, and hearing the different thought upon this... I am looking at it from Several angles.if Yah' all wanna' go over them at some point, PM me... I got some Good Idea's

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone use that insecticide dip that was being sold in the little white bottles for $1? How did it go? I was afraid to try it, so I didn't get any (used a Kent product).

Did anyone use that insecticide dip that was being sold in the little white bottles for $1? How did it go? I was afraid to try it, so I didn't get any (used a Kent product).

I did, but I've been using it for a year now. It's the same stuff that Mike was talking about.

(Sent from my phone.)

I got so caught up in the moment, I forgot to grab one... :( lol

I'll bring you one tomorrow.

(Sent from my phone.)

I am just afraid of it. I was glad to hear from our speaker about using it - will make me feel better if I ever get red bugs or flat worms (knock on glass).

I'll bring you one tomorrow.

(Sent from my phone.)

Yeha' Buddy, That's What I'm talkin' about... I think I may have to go out and make sure you'll have a NiceColdBrew then.lol

I am just afraid of it. I was glad to hear from our speaker about using it - will make me feel better if I ever get red bugs or flat worms (knock on glass).

Knock on Glass, LOL, That's Awsome...  Why am I still awake?? lol But nonetheless, that was quite hilerious

Mike Henley talked about it last year, so that's when I started using it. He, of course, heard about it on RC, so this treatment has at least a couple of years of clinical use behind it now.

Yeha' Buddy, That's What I'm talkin' about... I think I may have to go out and make sure you'll have a NiceColdBrew then.lol

:-)

(Sent from my phone.)

(edited)

I used it right away on all of the FFE corals, and I plan on taking all of my corals out and dipping them as well.  But does anyone remember which coral he said to do only 10 minutes instead of 15?   

Edited by ohaverd

I used it right away on all of the FFE corals, and I plan on taking all of my corals out and dipping them as well.  But does anyone remember which coral he said to do only 10 minutes instead of 15?   

Smooth skinned acros, like an Acropora echinata. But, it was suggested by somebody else in the audience that you may get good performance from just dipping everything for 10 minutes. That's an option.

Please, just remember to rinse your corals in clean saltwater after the dipping procedure to get rid of any residual dip. You want to minimize what gets transferred to your tank.

He mentioned that shrimp eating the mucous that comes off after a dip croaked. It looked like he not only rinsed them, but also put them in a holding tank until they stopped being so pissed off.

He mentioned that shrimp eating the mucous that comes off after a dip croaked. It looked like he not only rinsed them, but also put them in a holding tank until they stopped being so pissed off.

I think that Mike also mentioned at one point that normal protocol uses a separate QT tank for corals rather than rinsing and going into the display at the zoo.

I used the dip and it worked great! The slimy goo was flowing afterwards but that all went away soon after. The ricadora coral actually grew already. I'm amazed. I didn't dip my Aussie elegance or any of my softies as I thought it would harm them. Can I dip softies (anemones) too? Wear a mask because I got a major headache from the fumes.

I used the dip and it worked great! The slimy goo was flowing afterwards but that all went away soon after. The ricadora coral actually grew already. I'm amazed. I didn't dip my Aussie elegance or any of my softies as I thought it would harm them. Can I dip softies (anemones) too? Wear a mask because I got a major headache from the fumes.

Frank, this person wrote up something last year and posted it on her website. She says that she's also dipped soft corals without difficulty. She also refers back to the ReefCentral thread where it's possible that all this started.

Mike said he dips zoas and everything.  He didn't mention anemones, that I recall.  I read the RC thread a few months ago and didn't see that mentioned either.  Are there really pests that live on nems?

I personally would not dip a nem. Not only does it not seem necessary, they absorb the water that they are in, sounds like a recipe for instant death.

Great event & good seeing everyone as well as meeting some new faces.

Clearly a LOT of work goes into these events... hats off to the board & volunteers

Mucus production is not the goal. Removal of parasites is what you're after.

(edited)

Its the Bayer dip....works great (started using this last year) and is my only dip now....zoas sps etc (dont have nems or much else for lps ...trying to stay away with the pricing of some chalice)

Leishmans Acro (Acropora (Ah Crop Or Ah....have to change teh way i say that..i kinda like acro-poor-uh) Hyacanthus) is the one to only dip for 10 min or less. otherwise ive dipped all forms of sps, hawkins/echinata's etc.

Revive will kill hawkins echinata regardless of time...IMO  is too harsh.dont dip loriepes/granulosa's in it either

Coral RX is a little better but will still kill hawkins and otehr smooth skins/deepwaters....

So far bayer is the best dip but still does not replace a qt tank, even if only set up for a few weeks with old tank water.

Also if yuo use teh bayer remember to rinse, this stuff will and had killed fish

there is alot of reading on Reef Central, Reef 2 reef etc.

Edited by Der ABT

Its the Bayer dip....works great (started using this last year) and is my only dip now....zoas sps etc (dont have nems or much else for lps ...trying to stay away with the pricing of some chalice)

Leishmans Acro (Acropora (Ah Crop Or Ah....have to change teh way i say that..i kinda like acro-poor-uh) Hyacanthus) is the one to only dip for 10 min or less. otherwise ive dipped all forms of sps, hawkins/echinata's etc.

Revive will kill hawkins echinata regardless of time...IMO  is too harsh.dont dip loriepes/granulosa's in it either

Coral RX is a little better but will still kill hawkins and otehr smooth skins/deepwaters....

So far bayer is the best dip but still does not replace a qt tank, even if only set up for a few weeks with old tank water.

Also if yuo use teh bayer remember to rinse, this stuff will and had killed fish

there is alot of reading on Reef Central, Reef 2 reef etc.

I was wondering if I was the only one who Noticed how he pronounced it.... Found it funny that this entire time I have been researching and talking about this... NOONE has ever corrected me... lol

:rollface:

Or heard it pronounced like that before... Maybe just never noticed.. 0.o but Nonetheless... Found that to be quite interesting.... I feel smarter and more Sophisticated already... :) :clap:  

I was wondering if I was the only one who Noticed how he pronounced it.... Found it funny that this entire time I have been researching and talking about this... NOONE has ever corrected me... lol

Either pronunciation is acceptable. Eric Borneman, in his book, Aquarium Corals (green coral) lists both pronunciations: (ah-crop'-or-ah OR ak'-roh-pohr'-ah)

Smooth skinned acros, like an Acropora echinata. But, it was suggested by somebody else in the audience that you may get good performance from just dipping everything for 10 minutes. That's an option.

Please, just remember to rinse your corals in clean saltwater after the dipping procedure to get rid of any residual dip. You want to minimize what gets transferred to your tank.

Yes I had 2 clean buckets next to the bath.  After the 15 minutes I shook the coral in the first bucket and placed in the 3rd for transport.  The first bucket after all the corals were shook had  ALOT of crud in it.  It seemed to work well.

That's good news!  I have always pronounced it the second way, but felt kinda dumb after hearing a speaker pronounce it the first way a year or two ago.  Now I find out I'm not that not that dumb afterall.... yay!!

Either pronunciation is acceptable. Eric Borneman, in his book, Aquarium Corals (green coral) lists both pronunciations: (ah-crop'-or-ah OR ak'-roh-pohr'-ah)