Mature tank => enough pods for Mandarin ?

mling

So I picked up a Mandarin at BRK’s social yesterday.  This Mandarin started picking at the LR immediately and has been doing so continuously since.  Can’t tell if it is picking at pods, can you see pods or are they too small to see for one with poor eyesight ?  Does a mature tank always have pods ? My tank is 5 years old but I was wondering if I should be buying “pods in a bottle” to augment the supply of pods.  Then pour this bottle of pod into the fudge where the cheato is.  I don’t like to add “anything in a bottle” if I can help it.

im glad you brought this up... I recently made Podspots to go in my refuge.. how ever I am unsure which copepod brand to get and how many.. lol do you just dump the whole thing in?

I am tagging along sir!

In your 16, 55, or 156g?

If in the larger of the 2 I think you'd have enough if you don't have anything else that eats them, like a Bangaii or other cardinals...

And have places for them to multiply like piles of rocks....

I can't ever see my Copepoda by I see the many Arthropods in my 50 so it wouldn't surprise me that you easily have enough....

And it couldn't hurt to add more...I like to add a bottle every 6 months to my sump where I have a large rubble pile ...

And I prefer the algagen brand...or bags from reefcleaners, but I think either are good...just make sure to get Copepoda that will reproduce...any kept in the fridge are for immediate food only and will not reproduce....

And I prefer the algagen brand...or bags from reefcleaners, but I think either are good...just make sure to get Copepoda that will reproduce...any kept in the fridge are for immediate food only and will not reproduce....

im glad you said that!!! lol

In your 16, 55, or 156g?

If in the larger of the 2 I think you'd have enough if you don't have anything else that eats them, like a Bangaii or other cardinals...

And have places for them to multiply like piles of rocks....

I can't ever see my Copepoda by I see the many Arthropods in my 50 so it wouldn't surprise me that you easily have enough....

And it couldn't hurt to add more...I like to add a bottle every 6 months to my sump where I have a large rubble pile ...

It's in my 156.

I don't have any thing that might eat pods other than may be the Hawk fish ? Don't see it pecking at the LR though.

............ are for immediate food only and will not reproduce....

Why do you prefer that it will not reproduce ?  Won't that be better ?

I like to buy tisbe copepods. They will multiply in the sand. QR carries them. Amphipods I get from reef2go usually when they do buy one get one

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Why do you prefer that it will not reproduce ?  Won't that be better ?

I do prefer ones that reproduce, like the algagen brand ones.... I'm just making sure you know that ones that are refrigerated wont reproduce....so don't expect them to 'seed' your tank....if you are just wanting to give your tank a quick snack the refrigerated ones are only good for that...

It's in my 156.

I don't have any thing that might eat pods other than may be the Hawk fish ? Don't see it pecking at the LR though.

if your 156 has been up for 5 years there is no need to add pods. it will pick on things you cant see. If you see its stomach getting concave then you might have to do something.

Nice pick up, Mike. The 2 or 3 mandarins there on Sunday looked really good and were a nice size. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

You can usually spot pods at night if you shine a flashlight against the glass near the sand.  Little tiny white dots that move around.

Before getting a small red scooter dragonet from QR I bought some tisbe pods.  Put half the bottle in the tank, and half in the fuge.  Pod population is big, the dragonet has a full belly, and is growing.

Fish don't pick at rocks if there is nothing there -- so don't worry if you can see them. Zooplankton eat other plankton so its a good idea add some phytoplankton periodically. 

Nice pick up, Mike. The 2 or 3 mandarins there on Sunday looked really good and were a nice size. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, BRK is the place to get huge Mandarins.  Johnny has a sypplier that can get him jumbo ones, even bigger that what I got.

• 4 months later...

Your tank has pods. Mine has a lot but it's extremely rare when I see them. They hide. I know I have a lot because I sometimes dip corals for people that buy them and I see several dead pods in the bottom. The pods love to reproduce and live in my chaeto it looks like a bees nest maybe you can spot the pod in this pic. Supplement the fish with live brine and some can be trained to eat black worms.Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol I stopped running filter socks cause they would get clogged with pods it seems like. I need to get a mandarin to clean them up!

I order pods from reef2go.

Edited by Mattiejay6

lol I stopped running filter socks cause they would get clogged with pods it seems like. I need to get a mandarin to clean them up!

I order pods from reef2go.

your wrasses will take care of that problem...

Directly off Reed Mariculture's site, these are kept in the fridge to slow down their life cycle from what I understand, but they do reproduce in your tank if they don't get eaten first.

Tigger-Pods are attractive large red copepods, Tigriopus californicus. They swim upwards with a stimulating, jerky swimming motion which is attractive to both fish and people. Finicky fish love them!

Tigger-Pods are perfect for culturing and restocking reeftanks & refugiums, as well as an excellent feed for fish, including mandarins and pipefish. They breed rapidly producing hundreds of eggs per female.

I've found the best way to get pods going is to take all your fish out for 2 months ;)

Best way to get pods going is take a turkey baster inject your live rock holes with rods food. Your population will explode. Then you'll have the problem i had. Cyano and hair algae out the wazzu! Took me months to fix that. (Facepalm)

I no longer care if one pod lives in my tank although I see them. I'm just not promoting them anymore :)