It was just a matter of time before a public failure...

Chad

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/06/18/tanked-learns-a-hard-lesson-from-hasty-fish-stocking/

Tanked.  Fail.  I can only hope (though I have low expectations) that this will encourage the show to take an opportunity to be ambassadors of the hobby.

I agree it is another failure for the ATM crew but I doubt they will change. What's left of the stocked tank for the Annapolis mall is another good example. It looks basically empty now compared to the when they first set it up. They can make nice tanks but they just don't understand the proper setup and husbandry of the livestock.

I agree it is another failure for the ATM crew but I doubt they will change. What's left of the stocked tank for the Annapolis mall is another good example. It looks basically empty now compared to the when they first set it up. They can make nice tanks but they just don't understand the proper setup and husbandry of the livestock.

I don't think not understanding proper husbandry is the problem. Unfortunately, I think they don't care as long as the money keep flowing.

I don't think not understanding proper husbandry is the problem. Unfortunately, I think they don't care as long as the money keep flowing.

I agrees!

I think the network paid for those livestock so they don't really care as long as they can get the show going! Sooo sad!

I've watched a number of episodes and then stopped watching altogether.  These guys are @$$holes.  They don't give a darn about any of the livestock, which is evident by the way they just throw them in.  Their complete disregard for these animals amounts to animal cruelty and they should be forced to stop that part of the business because of it.  If they want to build exotic tanks that's one thing, but killing livestock on the scale they do is criminal.  H-E-double hockey sticks, on some of the episodes they fill the tanks with tap water, then mix the salt, then in with the fish.

H-E-double hockey sticks, on some of the episodes they fill the tanks with tap water, then mix the salt, then in with the fish.

Wow, I've never seen that happen on the show. That is really bad!!!

I've watched a number of episodes and then stopped watching altogether.  These guys are @$$holes.  They don't give a darn about any of the livestock, which is evident by the way they just throw them in.  Their complete disregard for these animals amounts to animal cruelty and they should be forced to stop that part of the business because of it.  If they want to build exotic tanks that's one thing, but killing livestock on the scale they do is criminal.  H-E-double hockey sticks, on some of the episodes they fill the tanks with tap water, then mix the salt, then in with the fish.

yup.  I hate that show and I hate that people that know that I keep a reef ask me if I watch.   Then again, I doubt the average consumer wants to watch a show where you spend weeks making an equipment list, setting up, plumbing, then throw rock in, check parameters, finish cycling, and then fill with small frags and wait 1-2 years ;)

Wow, I've never seen that happen on the show. That is really bad!!!

Maybe it wasn't quite that drastic, but close.  I remember one episode they said that they had 4 hours to finish the tank.....then they said that some one was mixing the saltwater outside and someone else was on the way with all the fish.  There is no way they could accurately mix the water, bring it to temp and acclimate the fish in that time.  Not to mention throwing fish into a vat of freshly mixed saltwater.

^The magic of time lapse... I bet it wouldn't take from the show for them to do exactly that, HG TV does shows like that all the time.  The only difference that I see is people know up front that building home stuff takes time.

What about the mob tank they did where they put in hot water from a waterline there and then threw in regular ice from a ice maker in the hotel to cool the water down there is no way that the ice was made with RO water......

went to the lfs and the manager said he had a customer come in and said he put ice cubes in his tank to cool it down because he seen it on tanked. im sure you can guess what happeded to the fish in the tank.

What about the mob tank they did where they put in hot water from a waterline there and then threw in regular ice from a ice maker in the hotel to cool the water down there is no way that the ice was made with RO water......

It's a fish only system so it doesn't have to be RO water. Just add some dechlorinator and they would be fine.

Yeah but in the episode they did not add any or even mention that you have to add it....

Last July I was putting ice into my freshwater tank double-bagged in ziploc to try to keep the fish cool during the week of no power after the derecho.  It was a pain.  Maybe I should make some RO icecubes in case it happens again.

I stopped watching Tanked after the first season episode where they build a half pike skateboard ramp fish tank. If all the fish in that tank weren't dead from stress within a month of skateboards constantly rolling up and down the glass I'll eat a shoe.

That show is terrible on a level I cannot properly put into words.

its a TV show, do you guys believe everything you see on TV?

Also there is a Ton of editing done by people who don't jack about the subject.

Yeah but the issue is that even if you assume that the quick mixing isn't happening (if it's not the editing makes it look like it a lot) many of the tank designs basically ensure that the tank inhabitants are stressed beyond belief.

Even if the parameters are kept in perfect check (which I *REALLY* doubt given the way they stock their tanks) the stress alone will kill most of the fish.

If  someone built a small dog kennel, stuffed a dozen dogs into it, and then blared a bullhorn randomly every couple of minutes at the poor dogs who could not get away people would be up in arms at the individuals that did that. The sad truth is that the Tanked people do that on a regular basis and very few people seem to care.

I know for a fact that the fish were picked up at BWI around 1 and dumped into the tank in Annapolis at 6. (buddy was at the cargo pickup and met the guy getting the fish for Tanked)  Judging from the amount of fish I saw in the tank the other day compared to how many there were at the taping of the show, I'd estimate that about 50-60% died. 

Maybe these guys will be donating some of that cash to some "save the reef" foundation pretty soon...

I stopped watching Tanked after the first season episode where they build a half pike skateboard ramp fish tank. If all the fish in that tank weren't dead from stress within a month of skateboards constantly rolling up and down the glass I'll eat a shoe.

That show is terrible on a level I cannot properly put into words.

+1

(edited)

Beyond the concern for fish welfare, I couldn't take the choreographed ignorance of the main characters in that show.  If those dummies on either Tanked or Fish Tank Kings actually ran a successful business without the TV show I'd be really surprised.  I hope "dumb" is just a character they play on TV, not in real life.

Also, I can't watch any of the current crop of over-produced and edited reality shows that only give you 5 minutes of content in 30 minutes and fill the rest with commercials and repetitions of zoom/pan shots or recaps of what you just saw before the commercial break.

Edited by AlanM

I know for a fact that the fish were picked up at BWI around 1 and dumped into the tank in Annapolis at 6. (buddy was at the cargo pickup and met the guy getting the fish for Tanked)  Judging from the amount of fish I saw in the tank the other day compared to how many there were at the taping of the show, I'd estimate that about 50-60% died. 

Maybe these guys will be donating some of that cash to some "save the reef" foundation pretty soon...

Was going to say a few things but its hard to dispute facts, if in fact that is fact, which I am not saying it isn't.

The least TANKED (and other shows) could do would be to give proper steps and facts as they edit along.  I don't care how god a company is, there not going to be able to change biological facts.