Non Aiptasia eating shrimp?!

Djplus1

OK, I've just about had it with aiptasia in my tank. I have waaaaaay to many to kalk paste or vinegar or X into submission. I just added 20 peppermints two days ago figuring that they would just go to town. Nothing doing. Seriously, I did not just blow a bunch of money on a ton of supposed natural aiptasia eaters for no reason!!!! Is it possible that the shrimp will EVENTUALLY start eating something or am I just going to have to throw my tank out into the street?!

The shrimp will eventually get eaten by the aiptasia. :laugh:

Get a Copperband Butterfly...guaranteed to fix what ails you.....

go for a filefish or copperbanded butterfly

i never had luck with pepermints

Not convinced the copperband will live if I quarantine it first and trying not to get whole tank sick if I just drop him in. I've heard filefish are iffy with coral. Main  reason I want aiptasia out is because they're crowding out coral and I'm experiencing losses, but if the filefish just eats my coral anyway, I'm kind of in the same position. Do you think it's a reasonable risk to just throw a copperband into my tank without quarantining?

The shrimp will eventually get eaten by the aiptasia. :laugh:

Get a Copperband Butterfly...guaranteed to fix what ails you.....

You're not kidding. I've got some aiptasia that are bigger than my RBTA almost. Will the copperband (or Filefish) harm my RBTA or GBTA?

the peppermints will eventually eat them, a filefish will speed up the process. I have both in nearly every reef tank I maintain. Filefish eat things that look like Aiptasia.

The CBB will not harm other anemones.

I suggest adding aiptasia infested rock to the quarantine tank with the CBB. Add it back after quarantine with the fish.

I suggest adding aiptasia infested rock to the quarantine tank with the CBB. Add it back after quarantine with the fish.

I quarantine with copper so I can't reuse the rock. All of my rock work has coral too, and is pretty intertwined so I don't think I can just pick out a piece.

There are probably other ways to find and put aiptasia in qt with the fish.....

If I knew ways to remove aiptasia from the tank without taking out the rock, I probably would have the answer to my problem. :ph34r:

If you can catch him, you're more than welcome to come get my peppermint that I know eats Aptasia.

You saw my tank. There's no way one peppermint would make a difference! Maybe, mine are doing it when I'm not looking, and I'll just notice them slowly work it out over the next week or two.

I quarantine with copper so I can't reuse the rock. All of my rock work has coral too, and is pretty intertwined so I don't think I can just pick out a piece.

don't use copper to Q the copperband fish then. They are many other ways to do it.

don't use copper to Q the copperband fish then. They are many other ways to do it.

Quarantine tank has been coppered numerous times already, regardless if I choose to copper the new fish.

Nudibranches, or however you spell it, only eat aiptasia. I bought 4 about 1.5 months ago and almost all of my aiptasia is gone. Only a few guys left and I had hundreds. For the first month I didn't really notice a difference and then they were everywhere. I bet I have 20 nudibranches now.

So do you have to pull them all out when the aptasia is gone? I assume they don't eat anything else and will just die. We should have some we pass around the club lol like we do the meter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

Quarantine tank has been coppered numerous times already, regardless if I choose to copper the new fish.

Well u can pick up a use 20 gallon or bigger to house a copperband and with rock covered in aiptasia.

Edited by rocko918

Well u can pick up a use 20 gallon or bigger to house a copperband and with rock covered in aiptasia.

and buy a new heater, new hob or powerhead, etc. since they've been exposed to copper. And once again, all of my rock has coral on it and is stacked in a way that I just can't pick one off without disturbing the whole tank. Copperbands just have an iffy reputation for survival anyway, and I'm not sure I want to spend more money than the cost of the fish for something that will likely not even make it. I'm almost more willing to take the chance that the fish will do better in the display from jump street, at least it will have a food source and a semi natural habitat. It's not like I haven't put a fish in before without quarantining it I guess

The nudibranches will die once the aiptasia is gone. I have moved a couple to my office tank but haven't seen them since i transplanted them. They certainly could be passed around. They look like white slugs. Once they start reproducing they go crazy. The egg sacks are circular and are all over my tank.

Did you get the right type of peppermint shrimp?  I did not have success initially using peppermint shrimps until I bought some from BRK and told me that they sell the right type that eat aiptasia.  And they did and I am aiptasia free!

Please see articles: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2718 or:  http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2718 as references.

Honestly, I hope so. How long til you actually saw one picking at an aiptasia though?

I never once saw mine pick at aptasia..... I just looked up one day and it was gone.

and buy a new heater, new hob or powerhead, etc. since they've been exposed to copper. And once again, all of my rock has coral on it and is stacked in a way that I just can't pick one off without disturbing the whole tank. Copperbands just have an iffy reputation for survival anyway, and I'm not sure I want to spend more money than the cost of the fish for something that will likely not even make it. I'm almost more willing to take the chance that the fish will do better in the display from jump street, at least it will have a food source and a semi natural habitat. It's not like I haven't put a fish in before without quarantining it I guess

From the sounds of it your going to have to pull the reef apart anyway to kill them off.

U can pick up all those supplies on the board pretty cheap. What I was getting at is if you wanted to q that fish u can help my dropping the rocks in while u q the fish with out copper. Tank power head and heater is not going to break the bank.