Marine Food Ratings ideas suggestions

Huly

(edited)

I am a freak when it comes to my furkids and fish diets! I can eat Taco Bell but not any of my munchkins LOL :)

For dog food there is an awesome website called www.dogfoodadvisor.com is there anything similar for fish/coral food?

Here is what I am looking at and looking for: (all foods with low nitrates low phosphates)

Nori- What is the healthiest Nori? Is one better than the other? I have heard some people consider Sea Veggies like potato chips. Is there a freeze dried version where it is similar to raw and keeps all of the nutrients? Is Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Select better? Or another brand?

Frozen Foods- Research has shown that some frozen foods have a high phosphate/ nitrate to them Example San Fransico Bay brand runs higher nitrates etc than Hikari. We have PE Mysis & Cyclop-eeze, Jan's Reef Blend, Hikari Jumbo Mysis, Hikari Krill (Aussie hates Rod's krill+), looking for a new brand silversides since trying to stay away from San Fran Bay foods but haven't found any, Any other good brands?

Liquid foods- We have been feeding Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast with a mix of Frozen 2.0 Zooplankton. What about Coral Smoothie, Liquid Life? Any of them better?

Supplements- We add Vitamin C and Garlic here and there and i think we just got SELECO BOOST (not sure if exact name but bottle looks similar). Are there any prefered supplements?

Live Food- My fish and corals have enjoyed live Ulva Lettuce, black worms, live brine, live mysid, & copepods Does any LFS carry live foods and what kinds?

Dry Foods- What is the nest brand dry food? Any good freeze dried raw ones?

Edited by Huly

If you need blackworms let me know. I usually get some at each PVAS meeting. I can always get some extra.

In the past, I've seen both live brine shrimp and black worms at Centreville Aquarium.

Any idea on what brands are better (or healthier) than others?

The fresher the food, the better it is. For humans or fish.

Instead of Nori, use fresh greens from the salad bar.

Live worms of many types can be reared in your back yard.

Cyclopeeze is super healthy people food as well as being used for fish.

Grow enough excess algae that is filled with pods and you can make your own fish food.

Grow enough excess algae that is filled with pods and you can make your own fish food.

Thanks! Remember I eat Taco Bell LOL but don't allow my furkids near it :)

Lol Rob eats Cyclopleeze...

I wish there was just a reef nutrition book out...

Hey Jan! Wanna write a book?

There is honestly not much of anything online. We randomly came across the San Fran Bay brand report. Not sure where Pez found that.

(edited)

I don't believe you will food that are low in nitrates and phosphates. Our systems are so small, no matter how big they are, we need to rely on good husbandry; water changes and extra filtration as well as certain filter media like GFO to keep nitrates and phosphates in check.

USDA certified organic nori is always best. This seal assures that you are getting 100% natural chemical free food.

The healthiest foods are the foods that are more natural. Live artemia nauplii, black worms, fresh raw chemical free seafoods and seaweed. I don't use black worms. Paul has had great success with them for many many years. Live food takes some dedication.

Flake or pellet food are high in protein and vitamins but they are usually high in ash which will increase nitrates and phosphates.

Enriched fresh frozen foods are good too.

The drawback for all foods, especially frozen, is if overfed it will decompose and cause nitrate and phosphate issues.

Whatever you choose the key to keeping phosphates and nitrates in check are frequent water changes, Feed small amounts several times a day and incorporate a phosphate reducer into your filtration system. Good husbandry is key. You must keep up with changing the filter media too.

I am a freak when it comes to my furkids and fish diets! I can eat Taco Bell but not any of my munchkins LOL :)

For dog food there is an awesome website called www.dogfoodadvisor.com is there anything similar for fish/coral food?

Here is what I am looking at and looking for: (all foods with low nitrates low phosphates)

Nori- What is the healthiest Nori? Is one better than the other? I have heard some people consider Sea Veggies like potato chips. Is there a freeze dried version where it is similar to raw and keeps all of the nutrients? Is Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Select better? Or another brand?

Frozen Foods- Research has shown that some frozen foods have a high phosphate/ nitrate to them Example San Fransico Bay brand runs higher nitrates etc than Hikari. We have PE Mysis & Cyclop-eeze, Jan's Reef Blend, Hikari Jumbo Mysis, Hikari Krill (Aussie hates Rod's krill+), looking for a new brand silversides since trying to stay away from San Fran Bay foods but haven't found any, Any other good brands?

Liquid foods- We have been feeding Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast with a mix of Frozen 2.0 Zooplankton. What about Coral Smoothie, Liquid Life? Any of them better?

Supplements- We add Vitamin C and Garlic here and there and i think we just got SELECO BOOST (not sure if exact name but bottle looks similar). Are there any prefered supplements?

Live Food- My fish and corals have enjoyed live Ulva Lettuce, black worms, live brine, live mysid, & copepods Does any LFS carry live foods and what kinds?

Dry Foods- What is the nest brand dry food? Any good freeze dried raw ones?

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

This is a great idea, Kim. It would take a lot of research. Great for a thesis.

Hey Jan! Wanna write a book?

(edited)

Hmm, I'm not so sure about the fresh terrestrial greens. Marine herbivores disgestive system is desgined to extract nutrients from vegitation found in the ocean. Those same minerals and vitamins aren't often found in terrestrial vegitation. This is why I stopped using them in my blends. In my opinion whatever isn't used just adds to the nitrate phosphate issue.

As we all know fish will eat anything, that doesn't mean it's good for them or that their digestive systems are extracting enough of anything good from that food.

Even though fish will eat it

(edited)

...and of course I agree with this 100% :tongue:

There's no need to add vitamins or selcon to my blends. I add plenty of vitamins and extra vitamin C.

Keep it simple and just buy Jan's food. Local. Help both LFS and Jan. Why go though all the trouble when she already does it.

(edited)

Be selective in how many fish you have. I only have 3 fish in about a 130gal volume system... I feed them as much as I want, never do water changes and have no issues. End goal is 5-7 fish.

Overstocking a tank is the worst thing you can do in this hobby imo.

I feed Jan's, NLS pellets, cyclopeeze, freeze dried black worms, and PE mysis. Sometimes I soak in Selcon as well.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Good point, but that takes a lot of self control.

Be selective in how many fish you have. I only have 3 fish in about a 130gal volume system... I feed them as much as I want, never do water changes and have no issues. End goal is 5-7 fish.

Overstocking a tank is the worst thing you can do in this hobby imo.

I feed Jan's, NLS pellets, cyclopeeze, freeze dried black worms, and PE mysis. Sometimes I soak in Selcon as well.

Thanks! All good points! I am trying to learn more and more but honestly there is not a lot out there on Fish nutrition LOL

• 1 month later...

aquarium wholesalers and fish stores here all feed tangs lettuce. they said it will keep their immune systems up. they said to put it in the morning and throw anything thats uneaten away and that they will only eat the leafy parts. anyone here feed their tangs regular lettuce?

aquarium wholesalers and fish stores here all feed tangs lettuce. they said it will keep their immune systems up. they said to put it in the morning and throw anything thats uneaten away and that they will only eat the leafy parts. anyone here feed their tangs regular lettuce?

Not sure in the SW world but in the human and reptile world lettuce (esp iceberg) holds no nutrition just water.  Kale, Collards, and dark leafy greens are better.  Thoughts anyone?

(edited)

I feed lettuce to my tangs a lot. I leave it in til its gone, they eat the stalk and all. They can't wait to get at it. I barely get my hand out of the water and they are chowing on it.

I use big Romaine leaves, sometimes broccoli or cucumber skin.

Edited by rocko918

I feed lettuce to my tangs a lot. I leave it in til its gone, they eat the stalk and all. They can't wait to get at it. I barely get my hand out of the water and they are chowing on it.

I use big Romaine leaves, sometimes broccoli or cucumber skin.

Ihave read people feed Broccoli to their Tangs, but never Romaine. Now I have an excuse to not finish my salad at dinner :)

Have you honeslty eaten Cyclopeeze? How does it taste?