New 36 Bowfront set up any advice?

XxTech MoneyxX

Thank you for the response :-) I plan to only add some zoas this weekend.  I will have all of my test kits by Wed. I bought the API test kit (I know its nto the best but better than nothing and the refractometer has really helped me in making sure I’m keeping my salinity straight.

Although, last night I checked it and it was a little high 1.030 so I took out about a gallon and added RO water which brought it down to 1.025 :-) so a little more than I wanted it to come down, but I will only take out about a half gallon today to get it to 1.026.

I will post more pics when I get the zoas tomorrow...

I was it the tank moving the rocks around because I just wanted a different look... am I the only one that does that? LOL!  I try not to kick up much sand but I think I over did it last night because I went on ahead and burnt 3 Aptasia off and super glued the holes!  ... Only to put the rock back in and find two more small one!!!!  Those things get on my nerves! lol

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you need is an ATO to keep track on the salinity since summer water tend to evaporate more...buy mine! LOL

LOL!  See lol this is true, that is exactly what I need :laugh: .  But where would I place the RO water?  Is it still $30? 

LOL!  See lol this is true, that is exactly what I need :laugh: .  But where would I place the RO water?  Is it still $30? 

You need a bucket filled with water and that ATO.....:) Normally a 3g-5g bucket is suffice to last a week depending how much evaporation

yes, still the same...want that Salifert Mag test kit too? I sell you both 

I know I am a bit late with this response, but I use API test kits and am happy with their results.

Are they "lab grade"? No, but they will do the job and are easy to use and understand.

Jason thank you for the response! BIG HELP to mebecause the test kit just got here today yay! Cant wait to test tonight after the kiddies go to biddie bye! Lol

Your tank is still new. I wouldn't add anything to reduce phosphates and nitrates other than gfo and water changes.

+1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

Here are the results from the test:

Salinity-1.027

KH-179 (dKH - 10.5)

Cal-480

Didn't bother to test for Phos, or Nitrates because the Cyano is clearly in charge right now... :sad:   I plan on doing a water change of about 5 1/2 gallons tomorrow after work, so I will remove as much as I can and test later after the tank calms down.  I will post the results. 

Good news is, I did a water change a week ago, so the two SPS coral that I have in the tank aren't sucking up to much Cal, which is great :clap:

So all and all good news, just a little longer before the bacteria will start to do their job lol c'mon time fly by so that this Cyano can be defeated!

Thank you.

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

You're not going to soak up a lot of calcium with two small pieces of sps. Just reading your post quick, may have missed something, but your salinity is a little high. Bring it down with some ro/di to about 1.026-25

You're not going to soak up a lot of calcium with two small pieces of sps. Just reading your post quick, may have missed something, but your salinity is a little high. Bring it down with some ro/di to about 1.026-25

All righty, I will take out a little tank water and add maybe a half gallon of RODI water in there. Thank you.

All righty, I will take out a little tank water and add maybe a half gallon of RODI water in there. Thank you.

Just add the ro water, the salt doesn't evaporate with the water, think of it as trying to balance out what's evaporated already.

Just add the ro water, the salt doesn't evaporate with the water, think of it as trying to balance out what's evaporated already.

You could also mix your water change water a little weak. That way you save on salt and are lowering the salinity :)

Oh yes, yes all about saving money here.  Thank you both!

My skimmer is getting on my nerves!  I notice it slacking in producing skimate, so I did a little research on my exact skimmer - Mr. Coralife SUPER Skimmer lol and it is known for getting clogged in this certain spot by the pump (I know others can get clogged to) but back to bagging on mine... I took the huge chunk of salt out that was jamming it up and cleaned her up real good, plugged it back in...Work like a CHAMP... next day back at it, not producing the bubbles that I want to see....

I wonder have I found myself a bogus skimmer or its just another weekly maint. projecct for the tank. lol  Reviews talk decently about it so I won't complety talk bad about it....YET.

Until I can afford a Octopus Skimmer, I will work with it the best I can. lol

You should give your skimmer a good cleaning w/ a vinegar and water solution. I did that w/ mine HOB recently and afterwards, it skims like a champ! Just open up the impeller, rinse the parts in the solution to clear salt, algae, etc build up. Then make sure the airline is clear by blowing on it. Your skimmer should be exploding because of your cyano outbreak. Mine is and that's a sign that it's working properly. Skim a bit wet to help handle the cyano.

(edited)

You should give your skimmer a good cleaning w/ a vinegar and water solution. I did that w/ mine HOB recently and afterwards, it skims like a champ! Just open up the impeller, rinse the parts in the solution to clear salt, algae, etc build up. Then make sure the airline is clear by blowing on it. Your skimmer should be exploding because of your cyano outbreak. Mine is and that's a sign that it's working properly. Skim a bit wet to help handle the cyano.

Okay, what kind of vinegar do I use? the clear white vinagar?  Yeah, as far as the Cyano outbreak I knew I should be pulling in the dark stuff... but unfortanately she just has not been performing... I will give that cleaning a try again tonight if I get home and it looks the way I left it this morning...

I'm having trouble adjusting this thing as well, I just can't get it in the right spot to produce the skimate... Fustrating is all (venting sorry)

Thanks for your help!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

Yeah, the clear stuff. I think it's just called distilled white vinegar. I usually have that stuff around for fish equipment cleaning and for the coffee maker too.

Re asses after you give the skimmer a cleaning. After the cleaning, the skimmer chamber should be creating nice bubbling water. Adjust your cut so the very bottom of your collection cup is roughly 1/4" (maybe 1/2", don't remember) below the top of the water/bubble line. That's sort of your baseline. If you lower the cup, you're skimming wet, higher you're dry. When skimming wet, check your cup often so it doesn't overflow.

if you have a costco membership you can get a HUGE jug of it for about $3.  I keep them on hand and use it once a month to clean everything...power heads, pumps etc....just make sure you dilute it with water...

(edited)

if you have a costco membership you can get a HUGE jug of it for about $3.  I keep them on hand and use it once a month to clean everything...power heads, pumps etc....just make sure you dilute it with water...

Okay, I'm a Sam's member, so I will look into it... Hmm any worries with how much to dilute with water?  do you clean everything with regular sink water?...I know,  I know pretty crazy q's, but I want to learn the right way from the beginning :-) Thanks!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

Yeah, the clear stuff. I think it's just called distilled white vinegar. I usually have that stuff around for fish equipment cleaning and for the coffee maker too.

Re asses after you give the skimmer a cleaning. After the cleaning, the skimmer chamber should be creating nice bubbling water. Adjust your cut so the very bottom of your collection cup is roughly 1/4" (maybe 1/2", don't remember) below the top of the water/bubble line. That's sort of your baseline. If you lower the cup, you're skimming wet, higher you're dry. When skimming wet, check your cup often so it doesn't overflow.

Ok, great I can easily pick that up.  Thank you. 

As for the level of the bubbles, I always check on it so that way it dosn't stall in skimming, becuase it fluctuates often... wet skimming.... when is a good time to do that?  Now, when I have Cyano?  I dont want to over skim, is that possible?  depleting the goods out of the tank to fast, I think I read that somewhere??