New 36 Bowfront set up any advice?

XxTech MoneyxX

You are positive he died and didn't just molt? They hide after they molt until they harden back up again

No the rock the coral came on will not cycle you again as its live rock already from an established tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

no.... he came from under a shelf rock and was found on the sand...with a snail on top of him :sad:

Thank you for the knowledge on the LR added to the tank.

Okay, so everytime everyone adds new coral to thier collection... do you just place the rock some where on your LR, or do you remove the coral from the rubble rock?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your salinity should match to what you have in the tank....make new water at 1.025-1.035 depending n what your current water is at and match the temp...then all you are doing is changing out dirty water for clean....no difference and no fluctuations....

+1 I think it's a molt...my shrimp and crabs usually molt a day or 2 after a water change as there is some iodine in the salt mix which propels that....

but he wasn't moving at all....? and the snail was on him and when I picked him up he was limp....

Are you sure wasn't just whole molted shell. Was it meaty? Lol I know...gross.

And your salinity should match to what you have in the tank....make new water at 1.025-1.035 depending n what your current water is at and match the temp...then all you are doing is changing out dirty water for clean....no difference and no fluctuations....

+1 I think it's a molt...my shrimp and crabs usually molt a day or 2 after a water change as there is some iodine in the salt mix which propels that....

As for the water change... I started mixing Reef Chrystals with RO water 24hr prior to adding it to the tank, but when I went to check it the next day the salinity was very high, around 1.030 or so...

So of course I knew I had to get it lowered prior to adding it to the tank. I ended up finding a Non-recycled 25 gallon bin and added the 6g in and adding about two more gallons of heated RO water (to balance the temp). Checked the Temp/Salinity, temp was perfect at 80, salinity was perfect at 1.026 (same as the tank).

Added that to the tank (slowly) but for some reason my measurment was off (with me COMMON) LOL.... it did not fill the tank all the way up. so, without thinking, I added regular RO water to top it off, which was around 2 gallons ... checked the salinity and it went from about 1.026 down to slightly bellow 1.025 in a matter of about a min. This is what I though caused him to die, but then again, he died in about 20-22 hrs after the W/C??

Now, Im scared to do the W/C's....

(edited)

Are you sure wasn't just whole molted shell. Was it meaty? Lol I know...gross.

Well, his outer shell was hard but again he did not move at all when I picked him out of the water... at one time I though he did but it was just the powerhead blowing on his antenna's (LOL Don't laugh at me I know you did)! :laugh:

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

As for the water change... I started mixing Reef Chrystals with RO water 24hr prior to adding it to the tank, but when I went to check it the next day the salinity was very high, around 1.030 or so...

So of course I knew I had to get it lowered prior to adding it to the tank. I ended up finding a Non-recycled 25 gallon bin and added the 6g in and adding about two more gallons of heated RO water (to balance the temp). Checked the Temp/Salinity, temp was perfect at 80, salinity was perfect at 1.026 (same as the tank).

Added that to the tank (slowly) but for some reason my measurment was off (with me COMMON) LOL.... it did not fill the tank all the way up. so, without thinking, I added regular RO water to top it off, which was around 2 gallons ... checked the salinity and it went from about 1.026 down to slightly bellow 1.025 in a matter of about a min. This is what I though caused him to die, but then again, he died in about 20-22 hrs after the W/C??

Now, Im scared to do the W/C's....

I think you should slow down..get your routine down...sounds like your moving soooo fast that you can't catch up to your desires.

are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? 2 G of just RO water is a lot, making me thing your .001 salinity change is not correct.

I think you should slow down..get your routine down...sounds like your moving soooo fast that you can't catch up to your desires.

are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? 2 G of just RO water is a lot, making me thing your .001 salinity change is not correct.

I don't think Im moving to fast. I think that this is a HUGE learning curve for me doing W/C's though. I do believe however, I should hae planned better to do the W/C's. As you had mentioned in a previous post, it would have been a good idea to "practice" doing W/C's while wainting for the Ick to go away, but by not having a RO Unit, it gets a little pricy buying water.

I need to get a couple Brute trash cans to have my Salt and fresh water readily available. Also, I need to get a Rereactometer(because I don't trust the Hydrometer) and another powerhead pump to contiuously circulate the pre-made salt. Talked to the boss, I'm working it lol.

I don't think he's moving too fast..he has been properly cycled and 2 corals a shrimp is nothing compared to what others do at the same point. He just had a brain freeze with the WC....there isn't anyone on here that hasn't done a bonehead move and he is in the best position to learn such a lesson....much harder lesson with livestock.

Yeah, I guess you two are right. I think what I meant was not about the adding livestock or cycling, etc but more along the lines of figuring out what to do or put in and how to take care of it like some of the previous comments... I enjoy reading but I get stressed and I am not even you! Lol.

As you were. :)

Definitely get a refractometer, one of the cheapest things in this hobby and most important. I would imagine your swing was more than. 001 with your 2g top off.

Also, I always strive to have more saltwater than what you take out for this specific reason.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Agree with Jack...always have extra RO and SW on hand in case of an emergency...and they happen, believe me....

I couldn't agree with him more on the refractometer as it will save you heartache....if you don't have one go get one at lunch. best $30 you will ever spend...and you can always spend more on a more complicated one later on.....

I feel for him...this is an exciting but very stressful endeavor when you start out....it seems overwhelming and lets face it...after a while you get completely sick of reading and researching because without any practical experience it sounds like gibberish....until you start experiencing it and seeing effects of things etc and really getting a first hand look its sometimes hard to get a handle on it....I was so lost when I started and we had a crappy local club that was zero help....and the LFS were a joke (this was in florida)

I am sorry you lost your shrimp...I know it hurts when that happens because you feel guilty...8+ years on I still do....I put 4 cleaners in a few weeks ago and 3 of them were fine and I lost the 4th in 24 hours....sometimes the livestock isn't healthy to begin with and they get stressed from a new environment....and in those cases there isn't much you can do about it.....obviously with the 3 others thriving it wasn't something I did or could prevent....the hardest part is explaining it to the kids ;).....in which case just run out and get another one LOL...they never know the difference.

I don't think he's moving too fast..he has been properly cycled and 2 corals a shrimp is nothing compared to what others do at the same point. He just had a brain freeze with the WC....there isn't anyone on here that hasn't done a bonehead move and he is in the best position to learn such a lesson....much harder lesson with livestock.

Yes, I would have been in trouble with more livestock!!!

Yeah, I guess you two are right. I think what I meant was not about the adding livestock or cycling, etc but more along the lines of figuring out what to do or put in and how to take care of it like some of the previous comments... I enjoy reading but I get stressed and I am not even you! Lol.

As you were. :)

Definitely get a refractometer, one of the cheapest things in this hobby and most important. I would imagine your swing was more than. 001 with your 2g top off.

Also, I always strive to have more saltwater than what you take out for this specific reason.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Defiantly agree with all of the research I have done in learning this hobby about the unconsisistancy of the Hydrometer.

Very good point in making more water than needed to refill the aquarium! When I have the Brute Trash cans, I will be in business :cool:

Thank you Very Much for your coments, please keep them coming :clap:

(edited)

oh boy... got a little red slime alage on a couple rocks... other than that the mushroom and GSP are looking good :laugh:

I've got the acintic and the white lights on from 6am to 6pm and the moon lights on all night, is this ok?

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

(edited)

Okay, so daylight 6-8 and acintics 10ish? How about the Moon LED lights?

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered RO filters, TDS, and membrane today from AWI, as well as some ext. tubing and a hose adapter. So, I'm happy about that shipment :cool:

Still working on the Refractometer and test kits....

Question I was told by another member on the forum that I should get a refugium to handle phosphates early...? Thoughts on this??

Also, he told me I should have any more than one clown fish in my tank (unless they were mates then I could get two)...?

i think you need to get used to the hobby before jumping into a refugium. Get the test kits and the refractometer and do your wc every week.

Clowns are very territorial.....

(edited)

Okay, thanks for your expertise. Point taken, but I do feel comfortable about the hobby... just don't have all the necessities as of yet.. newbie move I know... I'm willing to admit that, but I'll be back on the map soon :biggrin:

So I take it as he is correct about the clowns? ...But I see so many people on this and other forums that have 2+ in nano tanks... 36g is a baby tank, but help me out here lol??

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

I'm relatively new to the hobby so I don't have much footing to stand on but I'm not a fan of refugiums based on my own research, at least in the early life of a tank, kind of like what Jenn is suggesting. I believe understanding how to control your parameters with basic husbandry is more important. I believe a fuge covers up the problem but doesn't solve it. You should take your time to do research of pros/cons and then come up w/ an opinion yourself. You should always listen to both sides.

I have 2 clowns. If you want 2, you should get them at the same time. If you get one first and then a 2nd later, the first will have established it's territory and may become aggressive. I think if you take a poll, most have 2 clowns.

(edited)

I'm relatively new to the hobby so I don't have much footing to stand on but I'm not a fan of refugiums based on my own research, at least in the early life of a tank, kind of like what Jenn is suggesting. I believe understanding how to control your parameters with basic husbandry is more important. I believe a fuge covers up the problem but doesn't solve it. You should take your time to do research of pros/cons and then come up w/ an opinion yourself. You should always listen to both sides.

I have 2 clowns. If you want 2, you should get them at the same time. If you get one first and then a 2nd later, the first will have established it's territory and may become aggressive. I think if you take a poll, most have 2 clowns.

I see... so I think I will get two clowns as well (together of course) that was my plan originally. I read about them being that way.

When problems arise in the tank, I will be sure to come running to WAMAS LOL. I'm always on the forum!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

honestly before you add anymore corals or livestock you REALLY need test kits and a refractometer. I know I sound like a broken record but its the backbone of this hobby. Nothing that happens fast in this hobby is good...remember that,

Oh thank you Jenn. I'm waiting until the first week of June after the 6 week Ich epidemic is clear... I will have my test kits by then as well....thoughts on API Reef test kit? Not one of the top test kits (Salufert, Seachem, Red Sea Pro, Elos) when it comes to accuracy...

Checking to see if anyone on WAMAS swears by its accuracy...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see these pictures! You've done a nice job being patient. Hope you and your family will start to enjoy the inhabitants now.