New 36 Bowfront set up any advice?

XxTech MoneyxX

oh yeah one more thing... found out I accidently unplugged the heater and the temp got down to about 72-73 also found out that is what caused the fish to stress and develop ick... mad me feel real bad :sad:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah one more thing... found out I accidently unplugged the heater and the temp got down to about 72-73 also found out that is what caused the fish to stress and develop ick... mad me feel real bad :sad:

I am not sure that is true at all....how long was it at that temp? Honestly that isn't a horrible temp...I have gone much lower from broken heaters and power outages etc and never had a fish get sick or die.....so I think your conscience is clear.....

But you do need to allow the tank to go fallow to let it die off...but grab a big old blue leg hermit crab or two to occupy the kids...can always pull them out later if they give you grief...but be prepared for circle of life story when your kids see the old hermit in his new snail shell and only 5 snails left in the tank LOL...

Oh wow... well, I have the snails and they enjoy watching them :-) Guess what, another pepermant shrimp popped out of the rock when I put flakes in to show the kids the sand sifting snails! How did he live through the cycle??

So, and I waiting 6 weeks before I put in the two clowns?

Should I have the light on at all, I have been letting it stay on and them turning the blue light on when I go to sleep.

well thats cool! I guess your ammonia level never got high enough to wipe him out.....

yea you still need to be fallow to let the ich die if you are in fact positive it was ich

well thats cool! I guess your ammonia level never got high enough to wipe him out.....

yea you still need to be fallow to let the ich die if you are in fact positive it was ich

Well I am thankful that I had two in there and one lived.

Yeah the Damsel had three white dots on is tail fin and his left fin had white stuff all on it.

when you say fallow... what does that mean?

This has to be a positive thing too, the water will be a little mature right?

I was also told that I could put dry rock in the tank what are your thoughts on that?

Ah man, sorry to hear about the ich. I bet the cycle is what stressed it. Now you can sort of start fresh.

Fallow means no fish. When no fish, the ich cannot survive and inverts don't get infected by ich. You need that amount of time to get rid of ich.

And yes, you can add base/dry rock, the white looking stuff in and it won't cause a cycle. It'll probably leach phosphates but I wouldn't worry about that at this time since you need to worry about understanding the cycle.

And..you don't need to leave your lights on all the time. It sounds like you can control your blue's separately? If so, do 2 hrs of blues before and after your whites and leave your white on for about 8 or so hours. You'll find the balance when you add corals. Too much light (and phosphates) usually means bad algae.

Also..didn't you join Wamas? It doesn't show that on your avatar yet.

sounds like ich...took him fast though...

fallow means running the tank with no fish until the infection dies off from no hosts.

sure the tank will be that much more mature....depending on how much dry rock you want to put in...too much will spike a cycle again....but you can put some in for sure...

Okay well I guess I will go ahead and add dry rock to get some type of excitment for now on until coral are introduced lol... the profile shows BB Member still for me... I guess it will show up a little later.

thank you for the advice with the lights. I will do that from now on.

Yeah since I have six weeks im not afraid to add the dry rock lol.

I think I will do that. I took a look at them, they seem pretty neat. Especially when im able to add fish. They are exspensive though but ive noticed once again nothing is cheap in this hobby!

the profile shows BB Member still for me... I guess it will show up a little later.

Yeah, doesn't say "wamas member" for me. PM Origami if you feel like something is wrong.

I think I will do that. I took a look at them, they seem pretty neat. Especially when im able to add fish. They are exspensive though but ive noticed once again nothing is cheap in this hobby!

Don't forget to finish your cycle first. Shrimp/inversts can/will more sensitive then fish.

The cycle is complete.... just waiting out the six weeks for the ick to die off...

As for the Member status not to sure whats going on.... guess I will try and PM "Orgami".

Thank you.

The cycle is complete.... just waiting out the six weeks for the ick to die off...

As for the Member status not to sure whats going on.... guess I will try and PM "Orgami".

Thank you.

His name is Tom and he is amazing....such an enormous wealth of information on top of being an officer in the club

Just seeing this. Your paypal is coming via an e-check, not an instant payment. It normally takes a few days for this kind of payment to clear. It's on schedule, though, to clear tomorrow. The system should automatically change your accesses when that happens - probably tomorrow. Let me know on Thursday if this doesn't happen and I'll look into it further.

(edited)

Just a small update I guess... since I’m in standby mode lol

Levels are stable, I need to do a WC, Nitrate is at 10. (what’s a general level for Nitrite for a tank W/coral)

As for the Pep shrimp...haven’t seen him in a couple of days. Brittle stars are still hanging around lol and the snails are doing their jobs :-)

I have this algae growing from the branch rock now that completely covers it... it’s the same color as the rock.. I don’t think its algae?? Anyway looks harmless.

Oh, I caught the snails being bad!!! Nasty things lol

I have a lot of those amphipods on the outside of my tank... no big deal. Still didn’t get the Skunk Cleaner shrimp yet… Getting him tomorrow (so excited)!

Oh, I would love to put in some type of soft Coral any suggestions??

Last, but not least I’m taking care of my membership this evening (can’t do it at work)

Thanks everyone!!!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

Soft corals....

Well some can take over like Xenia and Kenya tree...but I like them

Then there are leathers,, green tyree toadstools are my fave of the leathers...

Then there are corallimorphs, ie. mushrooms and ricordias...love those too

If you look around you can usually find people giving away frags of Xenia from time to time.

I have some Anthelia that I can give you if you are interested. You would have to give me a few days to get some off my rock work, but it is all yours.

Jason, thank you for offering me Anthelia and I would me more than thankful to have it, however I have to plan a trip to Alexandria :) I will be sure to let you know when I'll be in the area. Thank You!

Soft corals....

Well some can take over like Xenia and Kenya tree...but I like them

Then there are leathers,, green tyree toadstools are my fave of the leathers...

Then there are corallimorphs, ie. mushrooms and ricordias...love those too

Oh wow, I have done a little research and I like the leather corals :rollface:and the mushrooms! Do all corals eat the samething i.e. brine shrimp??

4 and a half more weeks and I can get my 2 clown fish! I know... its a while away... lol

Added the cleaner shrimp! He is enat, he seems like he is doing fine, but he stays in the same spot most of the time... I think he is still adjusting to the tank... cought him cleaning fof a snail today as well lol. :cool:

Oh wow, I have done a little research and I like the leather corals :rollface:and the mushrooms! Do all corals eat the samething i.e. brine shrimp??

4 and a half more weeks and I can get my 2 clown fish! I know... its a while away... lol

Added the cleaner shrimp! He is enat, he seems like he is doing fine, but he stays in the same spot most of the time... I think he is still adjusting to the tank... cought him cleaning fof a snail today as well lol. :cool:

in a couple of days you will LITERALLY have him eating out of your fingers and your kids will think you are the coolest thing EVER.

mine always try to eat the food out of my fingers

Edited by sachabballi reef

LOL I will give that a try when the time is due. I just switch to the blue lighting and he is coming out a little but runs back under the rock :-) Quick question... how long should I keep the acintics lights on? I've been keeping the white lights on for 12 hours and the blue ones on all night/switching between those and the moon lights...

I used to do blue for 9 hours and white for 7, and you will hear many different opinions on light cycle. I don't think you should leave your blues on all night.

Cleaner shrimp are awesome! I had one that would pi k deaf skin off from around my finger nails :) Just be careful if you have a scab because they will pick that right off ;)