New 36 Bowfront set up any advice?

XxTech MoneyxX

if that is your only filtration other than rock then you can keep it going...only need to run carbon or chemipure after youve been running it for a bit and when is needed...it will help with water aeration...but if you have good powerheads then you dont really need to run it...until you need it..

Ahh ok I gotcha.

Well I have the two powerheads running and they are do a great job circulating tge water around in the tank... So I guss I will keep it off :-)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ok, that is music to my ears as far as not need to build a water station !

Tap adapter would mean I would be using Tap water right? You said not to.. :huh:

Oh boy you've got that right... 18 total years and 11 married!!! Oh I know all about it :rollface:

Lol unless you are some kind of magician yes the water comes from the tap into your ro/di machine...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lol unless you are some kind of magician yes the water comes from the tap into your ro/di machine...

LOL, I have been working on magical techniques to get this cycle complete.... not working!! :tongue:

I need to invest in a RO unit huh.... well, theres another thing I have to tell the wife... I'm going down!!! :blast: :unsure: LOL!!! :rolleyes:

LOL, I have been working on magical techniques to get this cycle complete.... not working!! :tongue:

I need to invest in a RO unit huh.... well, theres another thing I have to tell the wife... I'm going down!!! :blast: :unsure: LOL!!! :rolleyes:

check out one of our sponsors here airwaterice.com or BRS (bulkreefsupply.com)

and stop reading this and go join WAMAS ;) because you will always find beyond AMAZING deals on a used one in the for sale section here...save yourself a ton of money and buy from another reefer.

(edited)

check out one of our sponsors here airwaterice.com or BRS (bulkreefsupply.com)

and stop reading this and go join WAMAS ;) because you will always find beyond AMAZING deals on a used one in the for sale section here...save yourself a ton of money and buy from another reefer.

Okay, I will do it at home... just tried and it won't allow me to select the memebrship...

I know for a fact I will take advantage of the deals....

Hey so... what do you think about the Nitrite levels going down to zero 5 hours after the 3 gallon wc?? But I still have .25 Ammonia and Nitrate is at .10??

Poor Shrimp is gone :cry: I woke to only to see him moving in the current ..... that sucks!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

Okay, I will do it at home... just tried and it won't allow me to select the memebrship...

I know for a fact I will take advantage of teh deals....

Hey so... what do you think about the Nitrite levels going down to zero?? But I still have .25 Amonia and .10 Nitrate??

Poor Shrimp is gone :cry: I woke uo only to see him moving in the current ..... that sucks!

I am not surprised he didn't make it. They are really sensitive to ammonia....

its a long process and the ammonia is close....they both have to get to 0 and keep testing for a few days after they get there to be sure they don't rise again....the nitrates will probably spike to about 20 or so and can be relieved with just a good size water change.....

you are getting closer!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not surprised he didn't make it. They are really sensitive to ammonia....

its a long process and the ammonia is close....they both have to get to 0 and keep testing for a few days after they get there to be sure they don't rise again....the nitrates will probably spike to about 20 or so and can be relieved with just a good size water change.....

you are getting closer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah poor guy...

so, even though the levels didnt sky rocket over the charts, the cycle is still concidered "complete" (after a couple test there after) when the amm and nitrite levels go down to zero?

Your going to be mad... the glass anenome is still infesting my tank! last night while I was starring at the tank... it was just ah swaying his little tinticles in the current.... I said to myself... if I only had the stuff to take you on out of here! lol I just need to go to the LFS and grab it, but them I'll be temped to get dry rock! lol

yeah they are brutal for sure...

has your ammonia spiked at all yet through the cycle?

once your parameters read zero for both for a few days you are off and running and can SLOWLY add corals and fish.....s l o w l y

yeah they are brutal for sure...

has your ammonia spiked at all yet through the cycle?

once your parameters read zero for both for a few days you are off and running and can SLOWLY add corals and fish.....s l o w l y

Okay, well the ammonia got up to .50 if that is concidered a spike..?? I guess I have read so much that it gets up to the dark green... it did turn green fast though once I put the piece of shrimp in.

So, what is your definition of slow ?? I want to make sure that I dont move to fast... better yet let me look in the forum instead of bugging you :tongue:

Okay, well the ammonia got up to .50 if that is concidered a spike..?? I guess I have read so much that it gets up to the dark green... it did turn green fast though once I put the piece of shrimp in.

So, what is your definition of slow ?? I want to make sure that I dont move to fast... better yet let me look in the forum instead of bugging you :tongue:

anything above 0 for both ammonia and nitrite is a spike. there are a few factors that will affect how high those spikes go. where did you get your live rock from? was it online? if so, how long was it out of water? was it at a LFS and fully cured? for example, i used 90% base rock and seeded it w/ a fully cured rock from LFS. because its cured, the good bacteria already exists on the rock and had little to no die off because it was only out of water for 30 mins (car ride). that meant my spikes did not go above .25ppm during my cycle. that lasted a couple of weeks before it went to zero.

Oh wow... Now that you say it like that It makes since. I bought it from house of tropicals fully cured took it straight home put it in the tank.

Added 18lbs 2 weeks later from Todays pet in Columbia straight out of there salt tanks... Thats is where I aquired my friends X2 brittle stars and the recently perished shrimp.

Once I added that and the shrimp I got the ammonia spike .50.

I think its cycled!!! just tested...

salinity: 1.023

PH: 8.2

Amm:0 YaY!!!

Nitrite: 0 Yay!!!

Nitrate: 10ppm

Two more days of positive testing then I will introduce a clown or two clowns to the tank... 1 or 2 guys?

I still have the damsel... he dosn't seen friendly, he eats the food like another fish is in there and he wants it all!! :rolleyes: Will the LFS take him back??

Wahoooooo

Watch it a couple of days and do a large water change and get up to 1.025 or 1.026

Yes they will usually give you a few bucks for it OR you can join was and post it for free give away lol

Okay, but isn't 1.026 on the high side with the salinity?

Ok, I probably will just take it to the LFS because I want to get the clowns in without delay :tongue:

Fish only tanks can be even lower than that! But you want 1.025 or 1.026 for your coral and inverts.

I would add your CUC (clean up crew) first, then wait a week and then clowns. Add your bioload slowly. Trust me, the snails are often the most interesting animals in your tank. Resist the urge! I believe even sachabbali added snails first in their new tank.

Don't listen to the stores about how many snail and such you need....lol some are okay but a lot will sell you a whole bunch that you don't need...

Since you don't have algae and aren't feeding a lot yet you only need a few sand stirring snails, and a few other regular snails...and if wanted a few blue legged hermits..but you may not want them later....

As you stock you tank you can add more snails when they are needed...so many people buy these large groups and only really need about half of them...

Look at www.reefcleaners.org and look at their packages and whatever you buy do only 1/2 as much ....

Don't listen to the stores about how many snail and such you need....lol some are okay but a lot will sell you a whole bunch that you don't need...

Since you don't have algae and aren't feeding a lot yet you only need a few sand stirring snails, and a few other regular snails...and if wanted a few blue legged hermits..but you may not want them later....

As you stock you tank you can add more snails when they are needed...so many people buy these large groups and only really need about half of them...

Look at www.reefcleaners.org and look at their packages and whatever you buy do only 1/2 as much ....

alrighty advice taken :-)

See what I can find tomorrow :clap:

Great advice here!

Congrats on getting the tank closer to being ready :) Did you ever end up putting in more rock?

Got some bad news to report... the damsel in there...got ick and died! so, I went to Today's pet and they told me that as long as there is no fish in there and just snails the ick would die off... but I can't put any fish in for 6 weeks :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well, is he right and should I do anything further?

Also, in order to get to the fish I ended up stirring up the tank a lot... re-worked the live rock around in the process. Tested about 4 hours later and got the following results:

Salinity: 1.025

Amm: seemed to be in between o and .25... closer to .25 though

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

If this is true... its going to be a sad time in the house, the kids were so looking forward to fish next week... oh, well I guess I have to be patients is all...

I'll take a picture of the rockwork, its totally changed. Also, the LFS said I could add dry rock and it wouldnt hurt anything is this true?