Reef tank temp

linkfalcon

78 is a good happy medium

I try to maintain 78 but have seen it as low as 73 and as high as 82 and not seen much difference.

Heaters can be somewhat inaccurate, I know mine was. Best if used with a reef controler with its own temp probe, or buy a good heater controller. Also, I think the water feels cold sometimes but its not, your body temp is around 20 degrees warmer. If the water feels warm thats probably not a good thing.

Also, keep a floating mercury thermometer handy...to check how off your heater really is and if it heats your tank evenly or not...you may have to reposition some power heads if you get cold spots...(though this also depends on your lighting and tank size)

• 5 months later...

72 is way too low unless you are running a temperate tank. Should be shooting for more along the lines of 77-81 imo. I dont think stick on thermometers are very accurate. 100w is too low for 75g. I have a 200 in my 65g.

As far as placement i don't think it would make much difference but the water may be water close to the heater depending on the water flow.

Edited by lnevo

We don't use A/C very often and i dont have a chiller. My tank has got up to 87 for short periods of time then cools off over night. Nothing seems to care but my fungi shrivels even birdsnest didn't care. Ill be using more AC next year have too much to risk now but wanted to let y'all know not to stress too much if it gets too hot for short periods of time.

I keep my tank at 79-80 degrees..i have a/c so i have heater all year long..if temp is 72 im surprised u havent lost corals due to low temp..

72 is low...but its not unheard of...with just mushrooms and soft corals they do fine with more temperate numbers...

but no...if your house is 72 your water will likely be a few degrees warmer due to the equipment running putting off heat in the tank, powerheads and your return pump can easily add 1 to 3 degrees to your water depending on brand and power consumption...