Looking for calibration fluid locally

howaboutme

Hello,

Thanks to the recent fire sale, I picked up some goodies. Can anyone tell me if any of these calibration fluids are sold locally (NOVA)? They are so cheap that I'd gladly pay more locally then pay for shipping.

Milwaukee PH-600 7.01 (could be individual packets or box of 25)

http://www.bulkreefs...-packets-1.html

HM Digital TDS-3 342 ppm

https://www.freshwat...cl-3oz89ml.aspx

Thanks in advance!

You can typically get PH 4, 7 and 10 packets locally at most saltwater shops. The TDS fluid I've never seen locally.

+1. The TDS reference really isn't used here.

(Sent from my phone)

(edited)

Thanks all. I'll check w/ BRK. Does it matter if it's a different brand? I assume not, right?

+1. The TDS reference really isn't used here.

Could you explain this? Don't all meters go out of calibration over time and use? I checked my RODI w/ it when I brought it home and it read 4ppm. I highly doubt it as it's a brand new DI (about 1.5 months old). Plus, the seller has had it for a while and has suggested I get it calibrated.

Edited by howaboutme

distilled water works fine. it should read 1.000

thank you! i knew i was missing something there. saved me a few bucks. i appreciate the subtle hint and then this more direct advice.

distilled water works fine. it should read 1.000

Distilled water has a PH of 1.000 or a TDS reading of 1.000? If it's PH of 1.000 I don't want to use that to calibrate either of my probes since the normal readings of each of them are not anywhere near 1.000

Distilled water has a PH of 1.000 or a TDS reading of 1.000? If it's PH of 1.000 I don't want to use that to calibrate either of my probes since the normal readings of each of them are not anywhere near 1.000

I believe the response was referring to the TDS meter. PH needs calibration fluid to work.

Just placed an order for PH calibration fluids and the hanna phosphate reagent. Will be in stock starting Thursday when we open :)

Haven't been to your place (tried to go this weekend) but this is a reason! What brand ph fluid? I'm not sure brand matters though??? I have a Milwaukee meter but I know most would carry Hanna calabration fluid though.

For the most part you are going to find either PinPoint or Milwaukee calibration solutions. Either in the small packetts or multi-use bottles. Doesn't matter which brand is used only that you use the correct solutions for the application. Not sure about your PH pen, is it a single point calibration?

for ph Fins and Feathers, Blue Ribbon, as Incredible corals has stated, marine scene, ill bet aw one, and the rest do as well.

never seen a tds soln sold locally

Not sure about your PH pen, is it a single point calibration?

Yes, single calibration so only need the 7.01.

Good to know this is available at so many places. It just wasn't something I noticed previously at the LFS.

So is the concensus that everyone calibrates the TDS meter w/ distilled at 1.000 ppm?

Thanks!

I believe the response was referring to the TDS meter. PH needs calibration fluid to work.

Haven't been to your place (tried to go this weekend) but this is a reason! What brand ph fluid? I'm not sure brand matters though??? I have a Milwaukee meter but I know most would carry Hanna calabration fluid though.

I ordered Pinpoint.

Thanks all!

Also, regarding calibrating the TDS w/ distilled water...what container/cup do you test in? Are you concerned w/ any false readings from anything leaching from the container/cup? Or am I thinking about it too much?

Thanks all!

Also, regarding calibrating the TDS w/ distilled water...what container/cup do you test in? Are you concerned w/ any false readings from anything leaching from the container/cup? Or am I thinking about it too much?

I just grab a clean glass out of the kitchen cabinet, pour in the water to give it a good rinse then dump and refill to test. Just don't let the wife see you dip it in the aquarium and always return it to the dishwasher...lol. We take enough stuff out of the kitchen drawers already for our tanks without taking the glassware also.

I just grab a clean glass out of the kitchen cabinet, pour in the water to give it a good rinse then dump and refill to test. Just don't let the wife see you dip it in the aquarium and always return it to the dishwasher...lol. We take enough stuff out of the kitchen drawers already for our tanks without taking the glassware also.

Very similar to don't tell your wife how much this hobby really costs! ha ha. Got it. Thanks.

Most distilled water should be 0ppm TDS, not 1. I think what Rob meant earlier was that distilled water has a specific gravity of 1.000, not a TDS of 1.

Oh wow. Thanks for chiming in. I could have gone around in circles. I appreciate the clarification.

Ok, so I just tested w/ the TDS meter against distilled water.

Distilled: 0ppm

Tap: 146 ppm

RO: 83 ppm

RODI: 0 ppm

So my questions are...Does the tap number look somewhat familiar for people in NOVA? I have Fairfax water. Second, and probably most important, the RO is reading very high. From my understanding, the RO should be getting rid of most TDS and the number coming out of the RO should be below 10 ppm. Now, before I go and complain I received a faulty RO membrane, does anyone have a number like mine coming out of the RO? Also, if the number is correct, will the DI work that well to get the TDS from 83 down to 0ppm? I also assume that if this number is correct, my DI resin will be used up pretty quickly.

Thoughts out there? Thanks.

Thanks all!

I also ordered the calibration fluid. Forgot to mention that. Everything will be on the shelf when we open Thursday. If you need it Wednesday just PM me and we can arrange something.

Thanks.

Ok, so I just tested w/ the TDS meter against distilled water.

Distilled: 0ppm

Tap: 146 ppm

RO: 83 ppm

RODI: 0 ppm

So my questions are...Does the tap number look somewhat familiar for people in NOVA? I have Fairfax water. Second, and probably most important, the RO is reading very high. From my understanding, the RO should be getting rid of most TDS and the number coming out of the RO should be below 10 ppm. Now, before I go and complain I received a faulty RO membrane, does anyone have a number like mine coming out of the RO? Also, if the number is correct, will the DI work that well to get the TDS from 83 down to 0ppm? I also assume that if this number is correct, my DI resin will be used up pretty quickly.

Thoughts out there? Thanks.

You are right on all counts. Between RO and DI should be no higher than 3 or 4 (2% of your tap TDS.) You DI will not last very long at all if your measurements are correct.

I forgot to tell you that the TDS out of the RO will spike and go down within a minute or so every time you turn it on, so test again after running the system for a minute or so.