If it isn't one thing it's a flippin other

Jan

(edited)

No, just the most obvious ulceration that was already healing. It was probably healing from the meth blue, FW dip and hyposalinty from 2 days prior to the visit. Had I not treated the fish the vet may have been able to get some live something from the ulceration. All she saw were trophonts and the obvious ulceration. I'm glad I treated because the ulceration was getting worse very rapidly. the fish may not have made it to the visit had I not treated.

None of these fish ever showed any classic signs of ich. It appears that at one time they were exposed to ich but they've kept it in check. Proves the theory that if a fish is exposed to ich it can keep it in check if it is healthy. The ulceration was the most pressing and acute sign of something going on.

Ahh that makes sense. BUt the vet didn't see ANY sign of anything else?

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so that means your mandarins can stay in the DT as their slime protects them doesn't it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

Not sure about that. We did not discuss the various fish. I just told her I had a mixed reef and so she suggested ALL fish be taken out of the DT, dipped in FW w/Meth blue then Qt'd in hyposalinity with low temps for 14 days. I have to ask her about the manadarins.

OK so that means your mandarins can stay in the DT as their slime protects them doesn't it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

Well if there WAS something else that caused the ulceration it is possible that the mandarins could harbor it. Why go through all the trouble of removing so many fish only to NOT BE SURE you eliminated it.

Fallow means absolutely nothing in the tank that can keep the parasite alive.

If it were me I would remove them to be sure. If not, when this happens again in three months you'll be thinking, "well I didn't remove the mandarins, I wonder if they keep it alive...."

Too much work already done to not do it right.

Edited by Sharkey18

Although not ideal, you could QT the mandarins separatly and put storebought pods in. Maybe a technique similar to Paul B's feeding dish?

(edited)

..and this is where I'm leaning as well, Laura. I can attempt to supplement their diet with pods and if I see them not eating then I'll have no choice but to put them back. I was also thinking of dipping them and placing them in my pico and when they exhaust that pod population there place them in QT. Been doing a lot of thinking about this. I'll pass it by the vet.

Well if there WAS something else that caused the ulceration it is possible that the mandarins could harbor it. Why go through all the trouble of removing so many fish only to NOT BE SURE you eliminated it.

Fallow means absolutely nothing in the tank that can keep the parasite alive.

If it were me I would remove them to be sure. If not, when this happens again in three months you'll be thinking, "well I didn't remove the mandarins, I wonder if they keep it alive...."

Too much work already done to not do it right.

..and this is where I'm leaning as well, Laura. I can attempt to supplement their diet with pods and if I see them not eating then I'll have no choice but to put them back. I was also thinking of dipping them and placing them in my pico and when they exhaust that pod population there place them in QT. Been doing a lot of thinking about this. I'll pass it by the vet.

Let me know what she says please as I have a small case of ICH. Only the hippo tang is showing spots but she acts normal no flashing etc. We are going to do hyposalinity for all (once we catch our Midas Blenny) but we are too scared to try that with our mandarin due to food situation.

I may have to take this fish for a cytology too. I believe this is the culprit. See the scars and growth on its side? The scars are from lymphosis. I don't know what that funky growth is in the scar.

IMAG1808_zpsfe50e5dd.jpg

IMAG1804_zpsd1fa4c17.jpg

IMAG1805_zpsffc249d8.jpg

IMAG1806_zps0c8fa08f.jpg

Thanks, Laura. I may take you up on that.

Yay! That is awesome.

I have a refugium full of pods if you want to come over and harvest some.

Jan,

After your experiences, you are going to be the official WAMAS fish nurse. You could have a side business of hospital tanking fish. That's so great that these guys are getting better and kind of amazing that they heal so quickly.

(edited)

LOL!!! I sure am learning a lot. I love it so much that I'm going back to school this Summer. I'll be working my way towards a degree in Microbiology. Why not, right? Would love to take Marine Biology, but that is impossible with a family.

It's really important to act fast. A few extra steps really does make all the difference in this hobby. Once you pinpoint the problem and administer the correct treatment these fish really do heal very quickly. It is amazing.

I cannot stress enough the importance of FW dips and QT. Even if you're told the fish have been Qt'd the extra step of setting up and dipping, which only takes a few minutes, is so important.

I'm at a stand still in catching the rest of my fish. We've hit a brick wall. These last few are not as easy to catch.

Jan,

After your experiences, you are going to be the official WAMAS fish nurse. You could have a side business of hospital tanking fish. That's so great that these guys are getting better and kind of amazing that they heal so quickly.

(edited)

Yes. Matching PH and temp with the tank the fish came from.

with a fresh water dip, your talking just ro water?

Lost my sixline wrasse. Have no idea why. Dipped it and placed it in QT and 10 mins later it was belly up. My melanurus was nudging it. Maybe it had a heart attack? Who knows? It was a bully.

Sorry to hear that, Jan. Hope things get up and running OK soon!

ugh that stinks...so sorry for your loss, but what you are attempting and accomplishing is simply amazing and having just one casualty at this point is a testament to your abilities to handle such an overwhelming experience with a calm and educated approach. You are doing a great job Jan, you should be proud of all you have gone through at this point to be such a responsible tank owner....

mixed blessing losing the sixline- sucks that the fish died but it really is an A$$ of a fish. Decimates the pod population and aggressive. More future food for your mandarins.

Agreed!

mixed blessing losing the sixline- sucks that the fish died but it really is an A$$ of a fish. Decimates the pod population and aggressive. More future food for your mandarins.

I can use a different perspective and the help. What time works for you?

I can come and help catch fish on Monday if you want]

Thank you but I'm not happy about having to do all of this. I have no choice but to role with it so why not do it right? It's easier to treat when you know for sure what your treating and what to do. These days I keep looking at my DT and wondering if it's worth it. It's a good learning experience, but baptism by fire is draining.

ugh that stinks...so sorry for your loss, but what you are attempting and accomplishing is simply amazing and having just one casualty at this point is a testament to your abilities to handle such an overwhelming experience with a calm and educated approach. You are doing a great job Jan, you should be proud of all you have gone through at this point to be such a responsible tank owner....