If it isn't one thing it's a flippin other

Jan

how about just letting the fish live and see what happens? that's the best course of action if the fish is still swimming. put it into a QT and observe it. Uronema?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about just letting the fish live and see what happens? that's the best course of action if the fish is still swimming. put it into a QT and observe it. Uronema?

I agree...it's eating etc...why kill it ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

I just don't have the heart to kill a fish that has as much life as this one does. So instead I've caught them both and dipped them each seperately in FW with Methelyne blue. I brought the water temp and PH to the same temp and PH as the DT prior to dipping them. this is what I sually do with New fish.

Here's Genicanthus melanospilos being dipped in FW w/Methylene blue for 3 minutes. No problem. It was fine.

IMAG1781_zpsee6810e9.jpg

After 3 minutes I placed it in a seperate bucket of Qt water. It was fine.

IMAG1783_zps09957786.jpg

IMAG1784_zpsc8c72680.jpg

I then dipped the Genicanthus Watanabei in FW w/ Meth blue then QT water and placed them both in the hyposalinity QT in the basement where it's dark and quiet. I'll leave them under actinics.

IMAG1793_zpsf3e9ee10.jpg

IMAG1795_zps8bd8cff5.jpg

Here's a better pic of the ulceration on the Genicanthus Watanabei. It actually looks better. Could be my wishful thinking.

IMAG1796_zpse291702b.jpg

I'll check the ammonia levels everyday, do partial water changes and feed them 3 times a day until I can figue out what to do next. There is one more fish. A yellow damsel who's showing the same bleeding under the skin around its tail. That fish is next for FW

dip and QT.

~QT set up~

I have a 29 gallon QT with newly cycled water and a 20 gallon hospital tank that sits on the same metal stand on the bottom shelf.

Both have AC HOB filters (AC50 for the 29gal and AC30 for the 20gal), 25 watt heaters and powerheads. One has T5 lighting and the other a marineland marine LED. The 29 gallon also has a little green machine UV sterilizer to help reduce pathogen load and algae. They both also have large and small PVC pipes inside the tank so the fish have a place to hide.

I have two 5 gallon buckets that are dedicated to dipping and acclimation, 2 small submersable heater that wont burn through the buckets and two very small tunze powerheads for the buckets.

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

The ulceration on the GW actually looks good today. It looks like it is healing. The other angel, the GM, still has some funky something inside and hemorraging under the skin as well as really bad scars from the /lymph it came with. I also have a black and white chromis with one popped eye. That's usually from injury, but I dipped it as well and placed in the QT with the others. They're all eating and appear calm. All other fish in my DT look great.

I'm wondering if I threw off my bioload by dosing reef biofuel too often and having an alk of 9 or above. Someone mentioned that I could have had bacterial issues from this. We'll see how it goes.

(edited)

Partly my fault. I should have dipped the fish that came with issues before placing them in my Dt. they were QT'd and since it was lymph I thought no big deal. A few extra steps may have prevented this. Who knows, maybe not. Maybe it has nothing at all to do with those fish. could be my dosing. We'll never know for sure.

I'm looking forward to getting the vets opinion and lab results.

Sorry to see this. Makes the hobby less enjoyable to see struggles like this. Goodluck.

(edited)

She's looking much better today. the ulceration appears to be healing. I suspect the methylene blue helped. We're seeing the vet this evening.

73e1fe11-c555-4d9a-b187-128d561d261e_zpsd62e2bbf.jpg

At the vet appt. They've taken 5 samples so far and placed them on slides. They're staining and viewing to see what's up. These folks are great!!!!

Let is know what it shows. I used them for a rescue iguana I had. Good people

(edited)

Well this was the best $88.00 I've spent in this hobby yet. the Vet at Pender took 5 samples for cytology. the results showed Ich, which I'm not worried about because none of my fish have ever shown any signs of ich. Apparently my fish are very healthy and keeping the ich in check. The smears also showed a trophant, a parasite trichonida. This parasite causes ulcerations. The FW dip I did Monday killed off most of it at the first site of ulceration, but now the fish has ulcerations around its mouth and above its mouth :sad: . There were no traces of vibrio or any other bacterial disease.

Treatment: Hyposalinity, reduce temp for ALL fish and let my DT go fallow for 14 days. :mad:

The discoloration I saw in the other angels at the top of their bodies close to the light is scarring of the swim bladder. The scarring is from a severe case of lymphosis. This is what was explained to me. In severe cases of lymph there will be scarring of the swim bladder. It will be visible when the fish is held up to a light.

The good news is that I asked Dr. Torres if she'd be interested in becoming a speaker for WAMAS :biggrin: . She said yes :tongue: . She loves salt water critters and it shows. She's really easy to speak with and very knowledgable. I higly recommend Pender Exotic Pet division for this hobby.

Who's available to help me remove 30 fish from my very packed mixed reef? :sad:

I'll help jan!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ugh I'm home alone with the kids for the next 4 days otherwise I would help in a heartbeat.. I will have to be the virtual cheerleader....

I'm so happy to hear all will be OK!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, everyone. I have a trap that has become a perminent fixture in my DT since last week. The fish are getting very comfortable with it. I'll get as many as I can with that. My concern are the mandarins, watchman goby, engineer goby and clown goby. Those guys are going to be impossible to catch. Moving my rock will knock off corals. Ugh. I'm so not looking forward to this.

(edited)

Yes, I agree more than 2 weeks would be better.

That's a pretty blanket statement, Rob especially since you don't know what kind of fish I have. I don't see 30 neon gobies or 30 chromis being an issue in 156 gallons. 30 tangs is a whole other story, wouldn't you agree? I know what I'm doing. Thanks.

maybe you should go fishless in the DT for more than 2 weeks to be safe?

30 fish seems to be a bit much unless you have a 500g tank....