monkiboy's 265g build thread

Nice toy!

I'm jelly

i'm excited! two mp60s, one on each end and handful of mp40s along the back and upper and lower sides and i'll be set! trying not to jump on every awesome mp40 deal on R2R or RC has been so hard but i know there are much better places i can spend the money on the build at this stage when i don't even have coral in the tank yet, haha :rolleyes:

Sweet! !! Just call Ecotech they will send another wetside in a heart beat. They just sent me a new Gen2 & power supply. No charge!

wow - that's awesome. i heard it can depends sometimes on who you get but i've been hearing more and more stories like yours. even when out of warranty, if you ask nicely, they'll send free replacements. was your pump within warranty period or no? did they know it was second hand, did they care?

Very fun new toy!

m'hmmm - very!

I stopped by today and gotta say, the setup is top notch. What a beautiful reef you have starting up. 

it was awesome to finally meet you jack and you're girlie was swell, too. thanks for taking the time to make the drive, pick up your lights, check it out, and give me your feedback. also eager to see your official intro and/or build thread when you get around to it ;) you got some awesome-ness brewing of your own!

Nice and will keep you're tank looking clean and natural. I take it that chord from the jebao wasn't cutting it for you.

yeah, i plan to have some tremendous flow in the tank for the SPS once things get more settled. yeah, the cord bugs me. i'm weird and picky and it's one of the first things i notice. it also doesn't help that i have nothing else in the tank really so it's even more obvious, haha. the jebao pumps are awesome thus far, though and i plan to use them possibly in my frag tank or for water circulation in the mixing bins - tons of flow and cheap!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will do. I gotta say, those lights completely changed my reef. It's probably the most rewarding upgrade I've done so far. I was starting to wonder about all that money I spent on these corals but the LEDs really make them pop, way-way more than the T5's I had. I can't wait to get them hard mounted in on Sunday.

You are going to have such a good time stocking that beast! I like your plans for an SPS dominant tank instead of mixed. If I had to do it all again, my current tank would be LPS/Softie only and my future monster build (like your current one) would be an SPS tank with a bunch of wrasses happily swimming around!

Were you driving down 495 this morning? I saw you going the other way. Saw the roof vent and it was you. I gotta get one those.

yeah i was so must have been especially if it was a blue subie with a roof vent. can't say i've seen any of those around here, haha. let me know when you are ready for that roof vent and i'll source and import it for you!

Will do. I gotta say, those lights completely changed my reef. It's probably the most rewarding upgrade I've done so far. I was starting to wonder about all that money I spent on these corals but the LEDs really make them pop, way-way more than the T5's I had. I can't wait to get them hard mounted in on Sunday.

You are going to have such a good time stocking that beast! I like your plans for an SPS dominant tank instead of mixed. If I had to do it all again, my current tank would be LPS/Softie only and my future monster build (like your current one) would be an SPS tank with a bunch of wrasses happily swimming around!

i'm definitely interested in seeing how you mount them after talking to you about it.

wrasses and tangs is the plan. we will see how well i stick to it :)

(edited)

so tested again tonight to confirm the results from the last few weeks

0ppm ammonia

0ppm nitrites

2ppm nitrates

i've been tossing food and using the ammonium chloride that dr. tim offers once a day or every other day into the tank.

i had an initial spike of ammonia at .5ppm for about nine days. on the seventh day, and for only one day nitrites might have hit .25ppm but it was hard to tell. ever since for the last couple weeks i've been at 0ppm ammonia and nitrites and nitrates bouncing around 0-4ppm.

so i'm through the first part of the cycle and had only minimal diatoms which i was surprised by. most times with new tanks i see it everywhere and it gets heavy but the bloom was small and this time was only in patches and gone in three days almost completely. i have some remaining spots on my front glass that i never cleaned but otherwise the tank is looking remarkably clean.

going to wait a while for my first fishes but am going to call in my order for the first group of tangs or wrasses (don't know which i want to start with yet) (if you have an opinion about this, let me know) so they can go through prophylactic treatment over the next month or so and i'll have some life to add down the road.

right now, my fish list looks like below:

TANGS:

yellow belly regal blue
Paracanthurus hepatus

yellow (a few)
Zebrasoma flavescens

achilles
Acanthurus achilles

black
Zebrasoma rostratum

purple
Zebrasoma xanthurum

yellow-eye kole
Ctenochaetus strigosus

chevron
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis

blonde naso
Naso elegans

ANTHIAS:

pictilis
Pseudanthias pictilis

blotched
Holanthias borbonius

WRASSES:
Lineatus Fairy
Cirrhilabrus lineatus

Scott's Fairy
Cirrhilabrus Scottorum

blue star leopard
Macropharyngodon bipartitus

Edited by monkiboy

if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts on other fish or substitutions that would be be rare, complimentary, and gorgeous additions, please let me know.

Great choices! What a colorful bunch of fish...

thanks - i sure hope so!

Should go well with your regal blue!

the image didn't come through, what is it?

Earlie wrasses are gorgeous... Esp under led.. With the right food their purple accent really comes out.

awesome to know - thanks!

Wrasses are my new fave. They're so colorful. Anthias' are an easy second.

i agree. love me some of both!

Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

Nice fish

yes, the males are spectacular. added!

Lets try it as an attachment. I recommend you add this fish first as it can be quite shy and tends to get beaten up by even the most peaceful tank mates.

post-2633855-0-24339900-1381123899_thumb.jpg

Edited by bengeeee

Lets try it as an attachment. I recommend you add this fish first as it can be quite shy and tends to get beaten up by even the most peaceful tank mates.

haha. i'll work on that one. i got to get more sleep.

Will start tomorrow. Took Down Rubbermaid , replaced with 135 gallon in garage. Amazing what you don't see just looking down at things. Waiting on live sand as well.

adding to the list, a dream wrasse pair - anampses femininus. if you find a male, female, or pair let me know!

gorgeous guys -

Posted Image

Nice additions

sweet, more goodies in the mail - more flow! this is the first one on the back pane. the trend across the boards seems like folks are loving the performance and price of the jebaos which = lots of vortechs for sale = lower and more competitive pricing on them = :cheers:  good times for me!

b84861eb-90d4-4fd6-9ed6-c1e094c4893e_zps

8a3721af-6293-4073-99ad-e2d60322616a_zps

3b248d2f-c6b1-4ad1-9a63-b807c8c3aa8e_zps

Glad I started following this thread.  Didn't know about the Jebaos, but as soon as Uncle Same re opens, that is 2nd on my to order list.  By the way, Monkiboy, hurry up and stock that thing.  I have to live vicariously through you