monkiboy's 265g build thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not submersible, but my reeflo blowhole 1450 is doing 700 at that head. The 2900 is supposed to do twice that. It is totally silent, and cheap.

i was just talking to richard about your purchase of his pump and wanted to get your input. you're a mind reader! singoalla-smiley.gif

silent is a strong word - i like that. darn it, i need to visit again to check it out. what was the temp increase like with it's use?

Not totally sure, but I havent had temperature problems. We kept the house at 78 this summer and the tank stayed right around there, so it must not add much. It truly is silent until you get up on it. Bet you didnt notice you were standing on top of it when you were down there on Saturday. Come back any time to check it out, because I could use your advice on some reconfiguration.

I havent hooked up the Blackfin I bought from Richard yet. It takes 2 inch PVC instead of 1 inch, and I need to decide how much to replumb to add it. Plus it needs a teardown and a clean.

that's good to know. it seems all the problems i was reading about had to do with running it on too small a system and thus the pump not cooling appropriately because of heat concentration in a smaller water volume. not the case with my system and i think the plan will then to be to keep my dc10500 running my one return full bore right now in the sea swirls of the 265 then use a 1450 to go upstairs to the 46 and then the other dc10500 i have for peripherals, return to the frag tank and refugium tanks and that will be that. two internal and the 1450 external. i prefer the 1450 over the 2700 as the former is only 1" vs the larger inlet/outlet of the latter. i also didn't leave a ton of room from the left sump to the wall so that will make plumbing easier and drilling the bulkhead easier too. thanks for the input, sir.

what are you going to use the blackfin for?

haha.  Have you plumbed in your existing sump with all of it's current bio life into it?  You should have plenty of "live" at your house, so you don't have to start from scratch.

By the way, I know you got those drops, but Wade made a good point on some other thread about how you want not just the nitrifying bacteria which the Dr Tims and the ammonium chloride drops grow, but also the bacteria responsible for decaying organic matter down into ammonia in the first place.  You miss growing that second one if you only use the Dr Tims and the drops.  You might think about tossing in a few chunks of fish food from upstairs into the tank to let it get nasty and start those too?

haha.  Have you plumbed in your existing sump with all of it's current bio life into it?  You should have plenty of "live" at your house, so you don't have to start from scratch.

By the way, I know you got those drops, but Wade made a good point on some other thread about how you want not just the nitrifying bacteria which the Dr Tims and the ammonium chloride drops grow, but also the bacteria responsible for decaying organic matter down into ammonia in the first place.  You miss growing that second one if you only use the Dr Tims and the drops.  You might think about tossing in a few chunks of fish food from upstairs into the tank to let it get nasty and start those too?

no the 46 and that sump are separate for the time being. i decided that i was going to get the 265 cycled on it's own to make sure i didn't have any issues with levels and my current livestock, namely the nems which can be sensitive.

i have some aiptasia in my 46 system that i dont want in my 265 and i have one noticeable sprout on just about every rock and ten or so on the sand bed so without knowing more about how it spreads/spore dispersion, etc i don't want to chance bringing it into my new system. i'm being ridiculously aware of what i'm adding. i don't want to deal with anything down the road as a surprise.

i will have to check out that post and do some research on what wade is referencing and ask dr. tim his input on that matter - he is usually rather candid about his products, what they are able to do and any/if any shortcomings or supplemental methods for optimal result.

thanks for the input, alan!

You are the only person I have seen HAPPY about diatoms,lol

As far as I can tell looking good! Really like that sunrise/sunset on your LEDs.....

Edited by smallreef

Man, I stopped by and saw the progress today and boy oh boy, this thing is looking SWEET!  Pics do it no justice.  The rock work is absolutely amazing.  Good job bro.

thank you, sir. and thanks for posting up! can't wait to have this thing cycled and my first fish in there!

Man, I stopped by and saw the progress today and boy oh boy, this thing is looking SWEET!  Pics do it no justice.  The rock work is absolutely amazing.  Good job bro.

Agreed...  The large display (and the smaller one upstairs), are just incredible.  The fit and finish is perfect all around.  Very clean setup.  Thanks Marcos for being patient with me as I drooled over your tanks and asked a million questions.  The RBTA and chromis have settled in perfectly btw.

Agreed...  The large display (and the smaller one upstairs), are just incredible.  The fit and finish is perfect all around.  Very clean setup.  Thanks Marcos for being patient with me as I drooled over your tanks and asked a million questions.  The RBTA and chromis have settled in perfectly btw.

thank you, sir! i really appreciate the feedback. be sure to post up or text if you have any questions as you get restarted on your own quest!

Did you ever hear from Dr Tim about bacteria that turn organics into ammonia being needed as well as nitrifying ones?

totally forgot but tossed a piece of shrimp in the overflow as i didn't have time to research it or post up in his dedicated section on 3reef, yet.

new toy came in the mail today - mp60 yay.gif

definitely underestimated how large the whole thing is together, haha. thankfully only half of it goes inside the tank! and boy oh boy do you feel some flow! best thing is that it's actually quieter than my mp40 which now has me investigating what's going on with my mp40, haha. even at full bore, just a slight hum. i'm really impressed as i thought it would louder.

anywho, nothing much else to report. still cycling away.

54e6aa2b-7d4a-4dc9-9844-a81d5ba8c8bb_zps

19f3e7da-13d6-4626-b0e1-f87fc287133d_zps

Sweet! !! Just call Ecotech they will send another wetside in a heart beat. They just sent me a new Gen2 & power supply. No charge!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4